Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Use Montage/Cubase to Record From Internet?

53 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I looked around some in the Device Manager and found this. Is it a problem that the Montage is duplicated?

Posted : 05/05/2018 12:21 am
Bad Mister

You were hot, now your cold...

Go back here, please:

When you are here please explore those tabs:
Line and Advanced are interesting, no?

Posted : 05/05/2018 1:19 am
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I thought they were interesting too. But when I looked at them, there wasn’t anything I could do there. Here are screenshots of the three available tabs:

Posted : 05/05/2018 1:40 am
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

In this dialogue, with “Line“ selected, the “Configured” button is grayed out and inactive.

Posted : 05/05/2018 1:44 am
 Tom
Trusted Member

Myself. Because of Copyright laws. I do not do this:D

But I do have a Friend that does.

There is something about. YOUTube/Audio/1 audio interface. 1 computer. And recording on win. All on 1 computer.
Lets just say. It knows what You are trying to do and stops it.

My Friend Uses a. Second source(Laptop/Ipad....) To play the audio out. Then routes into the other. Recording computers interface.

Might be advisable to delete this entire post.

Posted : 05/05/2018 3:32 am
 Tom
Trusted Member

Just FYI.
Copying for Personal use. Unfortunately.
Is Not allowed under the current Copyright laws..

Every musician. Should study Copyright laws. And Get a Basic understanding.

There are some screwy things the deeper You go.

But in general. You can understand the Basics.
And Coping for Any use Besides. Schools and such....
Is not allowed.

A written conversation. To avoid Copyright is also. Not allowed

Posted : 05/05/2018 4:06 pm
 Tom
Trusted Member

Since I can not edit. another post!

With copyright. Never Assume Anything!
Especially. If it is in your Personal Favor. That is usually wrong.

There is A thing called "Common USE"
It is Why Schools, News media and Referencing Copyrighted material is Allowed By them.

Because I got Screwed. Early in life Via Copyright law. I have studied it. For over 40 years.
I Went to the Ohio state Uni. Library. Prior to the internet.
I do not understand a lot of it. (Meant for lawyers). But mostly. Those parts do not concern me.( ?)

Posted : 05/05/2018 4:34 pm
Bad Mister

From your screenshot, click on "RECORDING" > "Listen" > Here you can select the MONTAGE as the Device.

This is as much as I've been able to dig up so far. You will have to explore more until I can get some time in front of a Windows computer and dig around. What I don't see (and it would be essential for this to work) is the option to select the bus on which to return audio to the MONTAGE... All I see is "2 Channel, 24-bit" instead of the selection of returns we are looking for.

It may well be that Windows cannot use the multiple returns _ I'll double check and report back (Mac this is not a problem).

Posted : 05/05/2018 8:59 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

... also, if you're trying to record noises your PC makes (beeps, blops, youtube video sound, etc) then the option to use the PC soundcard as the audio interface for the PC's sounds is there.

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/22879-i-can-t-hear-any-sound#reply-22890

You'd setup so the PC sounds are handled by the PC (not Montage) - then run an audio cable between the PC and Montage's A/D input. Then record using Montage's audio recorder (or figure out another way to record the A/D input back to the PC).

Posted : 06/05/2018 3:01 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Note that the part of the message in the link previously given deals with setting up Montage's audio routing FROM Montage TO the PC so that the sound travels out the PC speakers. This part (Cubase settings) does not need to be changed for the audio routing you're trying to achieve. The other Windows-side instructions are applicable and stated pitfalls in Windows settings may be of use.

Posted : 06/05/2018 3:05 pm
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I can do this fine if I route analog audio out of my PC (Surface Pro tablet) or iPad into the A/D inputs on my Montage. All it took was a cable like this and the right settings.

But doing it this way involves a digital-to-analog conversion in the PC followed by an analog-to-digital conversion in the Montage. What I've been hoping to accomplish is to get the digital audio straight through to the Montage without the two conversions. It seems to me that avoiding the two conversions would be better for the sound quality.

This is what Bad Mister is looking into at the moment. He says it's possible on a Macintosh, but may or may not be on Windows.

Posted : 06/05/2018 6:14 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I mention the downside of this is fidelity -- wasn't sure what you were going for exactly. I haven't had my board hooked up -- normally I can run through this and get to a 1,2,3 procedure. Not going by memory for this one.

Posted : 06/05/2018 10:14 pm
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Hi, Bad Mister.

Can we conclude at this point that there’s no way on a Windows 10 PC to route digital audio from things like YouTube through a connected Montage to Cubase?

By the way, the second page of posts on this thread seems to have gone missing.

Posted : 12/05/2018 3:09 am
Bad Mister

I see two pages of posts.

No, we shouldn’t conclude anything just yet.... I’m no Windows guru. I cannot imagine that they prevent you from choosing audio Outputs (as a system wide thing) it could vary from hardware model to hardware model. See, it’s easier to know for Mac because there are less of them (models that is).

I’ll have to check and get back to you. In order for a Windows Computer to do Surround sound it would seem you would need to have the ability to select more than just a single stereo bus output. The option reads like you can (under proper circumstances or with certain hardware) Select other Output options.

I’m gonna bet, there is definitely a way, but it depends on which Windows Computer and what physical hardware is available on that computer.

Posted : 12/05/2018 9:46 am
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Bad Mister,

It would be really helpful if you could post some screenshots of what it looks like to set this up on a Mac. That could help me figure out the equivalent thing on a PC.

Posted : 15/05/2018 12:38 am
Page 2 / 4
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us