Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

USER and LIBRARY files do not include waveforms/multisamples after saving the data on Montage ?

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi,

A friend of mine is trying to send me his User Performance Set from his Montage, but when using USER or LIBRARY as content types, the saved files do not come with waveforms, just settings without actual multisamples!?

He was using the following command:

[UTILITY] > "Contents" > "Save/Store" > set the CONTENTS TYPE = USER file or LIBRARY file.

The last option would be to save it as Backup file, but in that case I would not be able to load the file to my MODX since the size is more than 1 GB. ;(

Also, does anybody know if John Melas Waveform Editor can open Montage Backup file, or just User and Library files.

Thank you,
DT

Posted : 13/02/2020 8:00 pm
Bad Mister

He was using the following command:

[UTILITY] > "Contents" > "Save/Store" > set the CONTENTS TYPE = USER file or LIBRARY file.

That explains why it does not include the Waveforms. It is possible he keeps making the same mistake... He needs to give you the same Library File that he used to install that Library.

You cannot just “Save/Store” an installed Library. He would need to use “Library Import” — this allows him to assemble a new set of data (in the USER Bank)... he needs to make sure that only 1GB of data is moved to the User Bank, then verify what’s in the Data Utility Folders... it is what gets written to the File he will provide to you.

Posted : 14/02/2020 1:08 am
Topic starter

Thanks BadMister,

If I understand correctly, you can only share your user performances with waveforms by saving it as a USER file? If those performances are transferred to a Library, than you need to import those performances back into the User bank, and then export the User "bank" by Saving as a USER file?

What's than the purpose of saving a LIBRARY file if it's not going to include the waveforms?

Thanks,
DT

Posted : 14/02/2020 1:20 am
Bad Mister

What's than the purpose of saving a LIBRARY file if it's not going to include the waveforms?

Excellent question. And when you understand the answer you will move to the next level of understanding.

The end destination of a Library File is being installed into READ ONLT MEMORY. That is the end of is journey. You cannot SAVE it from there.
Rather you SAVE data that is assembled in the USER BANK ... And you SAVE the data assembled there as a Library File.

A Library File can be created by
1) SAVING the USER Bank
2) Creating one using the MELAS Waveform Editor

You cannot do anything but read a Library File. Read Only Memory.
Data installed as a Library cannot be then saved as a Library file.
A Library File is made by saving data assembled in the USER BANK.

See the following...
Library Import

Posted : 14/02/2020 1:32 am
Topic starter

Thanks a lot BadMister. I finally get it. 🙂

I thought that by choosing "Library" as a type of file to save, you actually identify the source folder from which to save, which would be Library folder if my assumption was correct. But I was wrong.

Instead, no matter whether you save the file as a "User" or "Library", the source data always comes from the USER folder on the Montage. The "User" or "Library" selection will be important to determine where to load the exported file into another Montage or MODX. That's explains why my friend was always ending up with a file without waveforms since the source was always the User bank, and his waveforms were in the Library folder

Thanks again for you patience BM.

Cheers,
Denis

Posted : 14/02/2020 2:10 am

Hello everybody,

referring to this topic I wanted to ask if there is a recommended way of creating a layered User performance "from scratch" by using as well factory waveforms and waveforms stored in user libraries.

Usually when creating a layered user performance I do two ways:
- starting with an "init performance", than adding needed "single performances", than tweak with effects etc.
- starting with an existing single/multi performance as a starting point, than rework process (adding / tweaking as mentioned above)

In both ways, storing the result in the user memory will end without taking the corresponding waveforms also into the user memory

As I understood from earlier postings in this thread, the only way is to transfer the "base material" to the user area first. Than start the "creative rebuilding process".
But this would mean that you need an exact plan (picture) of the "end result" before. At least in my case this is a problem because in most cases it is an iterative process...

Any recommendation would be well appreciated.

Best Regards
Alex

Posted : 04/08/2020 10:38 am
Bad Mister

referring to this topic I wanted to ask if there is a recommended way of creating a layered User performance "from scratch" by using as well factory waveforms and waveforms stored in user libraries.

Usually when creating a layered user performance I do two ways:
- starting with an "init performance", than adding needed "single performances", than tweak with effects etc.
- starting with an existing single/multi performance as a starting point, than rework process (adding / tweaking as mentioned above)

In both ways, storing the result in the user memory will end without taking the corresponding waveforms also into the user memory

As I understood from earlier postings in this thread, the only way is to transfer the "base material" to the user area first.

Important correction to your understanding... the factory Waveforms differ from the Waveforms in the Libraries by the following fact: the factory Waveforms will always be there.

If you create a new Performance “from scratch” and you build it with AWM2 Parts that reference the Factory Waveforms, when you save and load files of these Performances they will always sound properly. Every MONTAGE has the factory Waveforms listed exactly the same!

If, however, you create a new Performance “from scratch” and you build it with AWM2 Parts that reference an installed Library Waveform, when you save and load files of these Performances they will sound properly only if you have not Deleted one of the referenced Libraries. Only your MONTAGE has your Library Waveforms listed as they are in your instrument!

Read those two paragraphs again. The difference is one of degree. As long as you never remove your Libraries, your new Performance will work. And this may be fine for your situation. If you are asking yourself, “why would I ever Delete that installed Library?” ...You’re fine.

But if you travel, travel without your instrument and/or are constantly reloading your 1.8GB of LIBRARY ROM, (and there are musicians/studios where this is their norm) then you would want to use the Library Import feature to organize your data in more convenient packages for usage. You might want each File to be autonomous. For example, if you were making a File to give to someone...To be autonomous all the Waveforms should be contained in the File or found in the the factory Wave set. Make sense?
For example.... If you attempted to give data to a friend, Saving as either a .X7U or .X7L file, because some of the Waveforms are from the factory and others from your personal Libraries, the person loading your file would be unable to play your programs properly. Those referencing the factory Waveforms will sound as programmed, those “looking for” your personal Library locations, unfortunately, will not.

This is really a preference based on how you use your instrument, what you do with your data, and how you find it most convenient to work. There is no one correct way to work... except the ‘informed way’. Hope that helps.

Posted : 04/08/2020 12:48 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us