Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

User library sound reverts in a new performance to the original voice - drum voice reverts to piano voice

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Bill
Topic starter

We have a Montage. I updated to OS 3.50.0 last week.
LOVE IT!

Here is an issue I a seeing:
---------------------------------
I am creating a new performance:
1- I installed a sound library.
2- I imported the library.
3- I searched and selected for a performance (that included the sounds from my user imported library sounds.)
4- I loaded a midi file to the performance.
5- NOTE: I had to update the imported user library sound track 10 as a drum sound. Using this method here, I did a category search and found a multi-io performance that had track 10 as a drum sound.
6- I saved the performance: Pushed Play/Rec and Stored Pattern and Perf settings. I also stored performance.
7- I followed Blake's example and deleted the loaded sound library (to make sure I was correctly using the imported library.)
8- For good measure, I backed up the user library to USB, to make sure it existed and was not corrupt somehow.
9- I can now play the performance, sounds from the midi file are mapped to the right voices in the performance.
SO FAR SO GOOD.
10- BUT I can only play the performance from some point a couple of seconds into the song. That works fine all the way to the end,
11- WHEN I stop the song and rewind it to the start, the track 10 voice reverts to a piano sound. The song is hosed.

I check the performance track 10 and CONFIRM the voice has changed from drums to the INCORRECT piano voice now.

I can power down, or on the fly- reload the performance. I check, voice 10 is CORRECTLY LOADED as drums.

I can repeat the above where a few seconds in I can play the song OK.

ALWAYS, when I rewind to beginning voice 10 reverts from drum to piano.

I have tried everything I can think of, watched all the videos I could find on pattern sequencer, libraries, perfomances, midi...

Am I doing something wrong? Could the midi file be corrupted? Other?

Something is making voice 10 in my performance when I play it immutable in the performance/ reverts it to piano voice,

This is pretty much the only issue I have seen that I have not been able to figure out so far with the guides, training and forums, docs. I am stumped.

Ideas?

Thanks guys! You are awesome.

Will

Posted : 02/08/2020 10:54 pm
Bad Mister

Likely there is a Bank Select/Program Change message or a Reset command in the MIDI Track data.

You can either edit the MIDI File or tell your MONTAGE to ignore the Bank Select/Program Change for that Part.
Call up your Performance
Press [EDIT]
Select Part 10
Touch “Mod/Control” > “Receive Sw” > Set “Program Change“ and “Bank Select” = Off
STORE your Performance.

If the original author of the file input Bank Select and Program Change messages into the Track this will override any settings you make. Since many GM files have a Drum Kit with the first program... is this a GM FILE that you loaded? This could account for sounds changing at the start of playback.

Posted : 03/08/2020 1:27 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Yes, this is the issue. The MIDI file, as probably "millions" of MIDI files do, have commands before the 1st measure to setup the sounds for GM devices (sound modules) and keyboards that conform to this mapping. With Montage, you don't need this because a Performance can setup each "track" (PART) with the correct sound embedded into the Performance. And if there is a conflict between the MIDI file and your setup - then the MIDI file will win since it will "play" after your Performance is loaded. This is why you notice that the MIDI file works fine if you start it in the 2nd measure. Because you will skip the initialization messages. Note that MIDI files can change sounds in the middle - so depending on the file, you may not be in the clear (in the general case - maybe not in you particular file).

You have options and they've been laid out for you. But really, there's nothing unexpected or surprising happening here. Montage is responding to the MIDI file as designed.

I would personally remove PC (program change) messages from MIDI files if I was leveraging MIDI files that were targeted for a device other than Montage. But that's not the only way as outlined.

Posted : 03/08/2020 3:18 am
 Bill
Topic starter

Thanks Phil and Jason.

Issue resolved.

I am so impressed to get such quick and great support and access to the pros at Yamaha.

Will

Posted : 03/08/2020 10:28 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us