Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Using Ewi as a midi controller for Montage

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I tried this out the other day to use my Akai Ewi 5000 as a wind controller to control my montage however there was a lag making it unusable. Any ideas of how I can adjust the settings for a more successful experience. Aside from the lag the montage recieved the different cc messages like breath bite plate vibrato etc if I can get this to work well that would be incredible! I appreciate any suggestions.

Posted : 09/08/2016 4:58 am
Bad Mister

? Please tell us what you've done. You mention you connected it to a Montage but stop short of saying how...

Posted : 09/08/2016 1:25 pm
Topic starter

Hanks for the response. I was using a midi cable coming out of the ewi and into the montage.

Posted : 09/08/2016 4:12 pm
Bad Mister

Hi Robert,
Okay you're sending standard 5-pin MIDI IN. The Performances in the Montage are, quite naturally, setup to trigger from keyboard control. I would assume that the controller transmits on a single MIDI channel, so you should set the Montage to MIDI I/O mode = Single.
[UTILITY] > "Settings" > "Advanced" > set the MIDI I/O = Single and select the channel you wish to communicated on. (If you can transmit on multiple channels, then ignore this suggestion).

What does your controller send - does it send velocity? cc002? cc011?
And how have you setup your Montage sound to respond to your controller?
Assume that we can help you on the Montage side but know very (very) little about your controller. We know you blow into it and generate control data... What kind, we are not sure.

Just plugging and sending cc002 would not get you much of anything. We can certainly instruct you on how to control a sound using BC, but before we do that you need to tell us what you are sending. You describe the response as a "lag" (?) what does that mean exactly? All notes play exactly as you anticipate but are way late arriving, some mote play, more notes play? I think if you begin to describe what you're sending we can help get a better response.

Posted : 09/08/2016 5:41 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us