Notifications
Clear all

Using Foot Pedal as DAW Switch

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Ed
Topic starter

Hi, I'm currently trialing Ableton for looping. I want to plug a foot pedal into my Montage (which is plugged into my computer) and set this to record clip.

i know how to map inside Ableton, but the midi-in indicator is not flashing when I press the footswitch (tried assignable switch and footcontroller ports).

Any advice?

Posted : 21/05/2021 2:54 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry, I don’t know if what you want is possible. I don’t know Ableton

That said, you can use a momentary FootSwitch (FC4/FC5 type) to send commands from the MONTAGE:
Press [UTILITY] > “Settings” > “MIDI I/O” > FS ASSIGN

The FS can send any CC 1-95 via MIDI on a selected and it has several dedicated function (listed above 95)

When addressing a DAW from the MONTAGE, however, you would use the “Remote” function
From the HOME screen
Tap “Remote” to view the Remote Control screen
Go to “Settings” > set the DAW Type = “Live”
The front panel is now a Control Surface for Live via MONTAGE Port 2
Tap “Control 2” to view the various Controllers you can map to your DAW
Tap “Edit” to view the current CC assignment... if I recall the FS defaults to 81 but you can set it to any CC1-95

That is how you send commands from MONTAGE to Ableton Live.
Set Remote Control Surface in your DAW using Mackie Control protocol... via Port 2

i know how to map inside Ableton...

Posted : 21/05/2021 6:50 pm
 Ed
Topic starter

Thanks badmister. Unfortunately this hasn't worked, although Live is now receiving the midi signal. I'm guessing it's a setting inside Live more than anything.

In the meantime I've managed to change a setting so that my sustain pedal doesn't work. Any advice how to get this back?:D

Posted : 23/05/2021 7:52 pm
Bad Mister

Thanks badmister. Unfortunately this hasn't worked, although Live is now receiving the midi signal. I'm guessing it's a setting inside Live more than anything.

What hasn’t worked? Did you setup the MONTAGE as a Remote Control Surface using Mackie Control via MONTAGE USB Port 2? (required) that should work and allow to program the FS as you desire.

In the meantime I've managed to change a setting so that my sustain pedal doesn't work. Any advice how to get this back?:D

Not enough information on your side. A sustain pedal is the easiest thing to connect and work given the following:
_ You are using a Yamaha Sustain pedal plugged securely into the dedicated Sustain pedal jack.
_ Yamaha FC3A (TRS-type) requires your instrument be set to “Sustain Pedal” = FC3A Half On
_ Yamaha FC4A/FC5 (TS-Type) requires your instrument be set to “Sustain Pedal” = FC4A/FC5
Go to [UTILITY] > “Settings” > “Sound” > find “Sustain Pedal”
_ You are operating the MONTAGE from its internal mode (HOME), if you wish to use the REMOTE Control layer of the MONTAGE to operate your DAW (Live) while still playing the MONTAGE, use the REMOTE function “Transport”.... this lets you use the MONTAGE buttons to start/stop the DAW while letting you play and control the MONTAGE synth normally.

Posted : 23/05/2021 9:49 pm

The YAMAHA FC4A is really good and I've always used it ... what else would you recommend? I work remotely through the employee monitoring and broadcast music through a direct office, it is important for me that the sound is transmitted with high quality .. something that may not be so easy to connect, but more interesting in functionality.

Posted : 26/05/2021 4:03 pm
 Ed
Topic starter

What hasn’t worked? Did you setup the MONTAGE as a Remote Control Surface using Mackie Control via MONTAGE USB Port 2? (required) that should work and allow to program the FS as you desire.

What is Mackie Control? Excuse me for being dumb.

What hasn't worked is the mapping inside Live. live is picking up the MiDI info from when I hit the foot pedal, but it's not letting me map, even though (from what I can see) I'm just following the simple process. I'll investigate that end I think, unless you think it could be the Montage?

Cheers

Posted : 27/05/2021 7:37 pm
 Ed
Topic starter

Ps. The sustain pedal is sorted 🙂 and sorry for late reply

Posted : 27/05/2021 7:37 pm
New Member Guest

Make you happy the impossible quiz

Posted : 28/06/2021 8:51 am
New Member Guest

sometimes moto x3m makes you interesting

Posted : 29/11/2021 8:48 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us