Clear all

Using footswitch to start external sample loop

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello

At first: sorry for my bad english …

I’m owner of a Montage 7 and an Akai S5000 Sampler and I want to start a loop on the Akai using Montage’s external footswitch and/or one of the assignable switches.

I already set Utility - Settings - MIDI I/O - MIDI IN/OUT to „MIDI“ and on the advanced tab the Zone Master to „ON“.

In the performance I added a new Part (Zone Settings: Zone „ON“, INT SW „OFF“ and Transmit Ch. „16“).

When I play the Montage, the loop is located on C3.

What I have to do now?

Best regards,
Tamara

Posted : 18/03/2018 4:49 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

There is another thread where a user "wishes" the foot switch would act as a trigger. It doesn't. There may be a convoluted way around this - but I need to have the keyboard setup to experiment.

Looking across the aisle - there's a "K" keyboard that allows assigning the foot switch to trigger chords. What this means is trigger any note on the keyboard up to 8 total notes simultaneously and with defined velocity. There's a fairly wide gap on Montage between things that can trigger and things that cannot. There is little to bridge one type of controller to the other. The piano keys themselves on Montage are about the only source for "triggers". Which is often unfortunate because there is a loss of flexibility once you run into this kind of "brick wall".

Posted : 19/03/2018 2:11 am
Bad Mister

Tamara wrote:

Hello

At first: sorry for my bad english …

I’m owner of a Montage 7 and an Akai S5000 Sampler and I want to start a loop on the Akai using Montage’s external footswitch and/or one of the assignable switches.

I already set Utility - Settings - MIDI I/O - MIDI IN/OUT to „MIDI“ and on the advanced tab the Zone Master to „ON“.

In the performance I added a new Part (Zone Settings: Zone „ON“, INT SW „OFF“ and Transmit Ch. „16“).

When I play the Montage, the loop is located on C3.

What I have to do now?

Best regards,
Tamara

There are actually several different ways to approach this... You can continue with how you are now approaching it... using the ZONE SETTINGS, INT SW = OFF, and Transmit Ch 16 to the external Akai Sampler. This allows the PART Setting parameters for that slot to be used for the External device (Akai).

You can either use the MONTAGE PLAY/REC feature to send your note-on events to the Akai, using a Foot Switch to trigger playback... or you can use the [AUDITION] button to send the Note-on events to the Akai.

1- Using the MONTAGE Play/Rec Function to trigger Sample:
Create a MIDI File with an appropriate length NOTE-ON Event on Track 16.
In order to record this using the MONTAGE, create a PART in slot 16, set the Zone Settings (as you stated in your post)... INT SW = Off, the Transmit Channel = 16
With that PART (16) actively selected touch "Play//Rec" to go to the Recorder.

You can record the C3 Note-On to trigger the playback of your Audio Loop.
Now consider the length of this note-on event...

You can, and if your Akai sample is tempo related... match the tempo. This way you can set the Montage Play/Rec function to LOOP on playback. For example, if your sampler's Loop is 4 Measures, record a Note-On event that is 4 Measures long and you can have it retrigger each time... In other words, use the MONTAGE to create the loop, set the sampler for one-shot playback.

If it is just a one shot sample, or you don't know what tempo it is... you can create an appropriate length NOTE-ON Event to trigger playback and hold it for the duration. No LOOP in MONTAGE necessary... let the sampler loop

The MONTAGE Play/Rec Function can be started and stopped with the Foot Switch set to "PLAY/STOP"
[UTILITY] > "Settings" > "MIDI I/O"

2- Using the MONTAGE AUDITION Function to trigger Sample:
New with version 2.00, you can associate any SONG file in your MONTAGE SONG FOLDER with the AUDITION button.
Press [EDIT]
Press [COMMON]
Touch "General"
Audition Bank = User
Phrase Number will be your Song items in the Song Folder
Note Shift will allow you to transpose the trigger note that is responsible for playback
Velocity Shift will allow you to control the level of that note-on event

"Update User Auditions" will make all of the SONGs in your SONG FOLDER available via the AUDITION button.

Again, create a MIDI File with the appropriate length and Channel NOTE-ON Event to trigger your Akai Sampler.
If you create data MIDI event data and set the MONTAGE LOOP to ON, when the SONG imported to the new AUDITION feature, you can have it Loop play as long as you desire...

I've created entire PARTS with different loops on every Keys (all at a specific Tempo), and I can switch between them using the AUDITION "Note Shift" parameter. Each loop will play through and then change at the top of the next measure. All the while I can play along on top with the keys, freely playing any PART or multiple PARTS that I desire.

If you need more help, let us know.
Other methods include triggering the sampler using a Note Event... which can be done via the keyboard directly or using an Arpeggio (which also includes the keyboard).

Posted : 19/03/2018 10:59 pm
 Jan
Eminent Member

Hi Tamara,

Phil gave you a correct and elaborate answer, but I wonder whether this will meet your needs.
For both the AUDITION or PLAY button require to take your hands of the keyboard.
If you want to trigger your sample with a specific key you have to go in the edit-mode and use note-shift for the "trigger-key".
However, this only works on the first eight parts, for they are under keyboard control and 9-16 is not.
Personally. I would opt for an additional foot switch. Like the Boss-switch on the right of my pedal-board.
Or even use a dedicated midi-foot-controller (like my numbered switches on the far-right).

While being on this topic:
The montage has 4 (default) pedal-inputs:
1) Volume
2) Motion control
3) Sustain
4) Switch

I have my 4-switch assigned to my mod-wheel, thus able to apply Lesly-rotary effect with my foot.
But you might also use this switch to assign Start/Stop for your purpose. That would be my preferred solution, when not using an extra external switch.

And an additional request for Bad Minster:
Switches 1,2 and 4 are represented on the key-board. So I can apply volume, superknob or mod/wheel (or whatever) using my fingers.
But there is NO representation for the Sustain-pedal. So I always have to use a foot. (Which might be difficult when playing standing on stage).
Yes I know, this can be accomplished by using the assignable knobs on the left-top.

However, the Genos has a (left-part) HOLD button. I think Montage-2 should also have a dedicated full-sustain hardware button (like my request for a dedicated transpose button) on the front-panel, enabling you to hold the current sound, while turning towards another instrument, and thus being able to change the position of ones feet.

Just trying to contribute on making the current most perfect synthesizer even more perfect....

And Tamara: please watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifXa4DL55oQ to see what is possible by using sample-triggers.

Attached files

Posted : 21/03/2018 8:10 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

There is a "loss of flexibility" vs. the competition for footswitch assignments (requires no pre-loading of a secondary file through file-system manipulation) - which was the wider context. For footswitch (FS) control: audition is almost a "full-service" solution because an audition automatically associates a song (MIDI) with a performance. It would be great if the FS could be assigned to the [AUDITION] button to enable play/stop for the audition MIDI file.

I'm not aware of a way to load Song&Perf through the live set - which would be a reasonable solution for recalling the MIDI file for use with the FS+MIDI solution.

Further extending the banks to include Song&Perf (Preset, User, Library, Song&Perf) may be one way to accomplish this - so Song&Perf receives a MSB/LSB/PC tuple which can be recalled through Live Set.

Posted : 21/03/2018 3:41 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us