Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Using Montage as a multi-timbral sound device.

18 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
Michael

Question:

I am recording bunches of MIDI tracks using the Montage in 16-part/multi-channel/GM mode.

When searching for new sounds, it's great that Yamaha allows one to simply see the SINGLE sounds and not the MULTI sounds.

However, every time I go in to look for a new sound for a 'part' I always have to go in and select SINGLE again. And again. And again.

Is there a way to tell the Montage that for this performance, I only want to see SINGLEs and not MULTIs, any time I edit this particular performance?

That spot on my touch screen is gonna get worn out very quickly otherwise, not to mention my patience....

Thanks for any help.

Michael

Posted : 01/03/2018 3:38 am
Joe
 Joe
Eminent Member

Michael wrote:That spot on my touch screen is gonna get worn out very quickly otherwise, not to mention my patience....

Patience with Montage navigation is a must. There are some processes (I mentioned a while back on another thread) that are similar to yours but require up to 30-40 or something touch screen presses to get back to where you were before to test out (audition/play etc) the next item.

Posted : 01/03/2018 3:46 am
Michael

Joe wrote:

Michael wrote:That spot on my touch screen is gonna get worn out very quickly otherwise, not to mention my patience....

Patience with Montage navigation is a must. There are some processes (I mentioned a while back on another thread) that are similar to yours but require up to 30-40 or something touch screen presses to get back to where you were before to test out (audition/play etc) the next item.

I agree and share your frustration.

I have been a Yamaha player for a long time: CP-70B, TG100, SY22, MU80, MU100R, QS300, Motif 6, MOX6, MOXF8, and now Montage 8.

It's been my experience that Yamaha stuff is BULLETPROOF. It works. It's fast. It doesn't crash. The OS'es may not be the friendliest but a dunderhead like me has always been able to figure them out. Easily.

But not this time.

I am not a pro, but I've been playing for a long, long time, and wish I had more time to spend with my music. The time I DO have is precious, and I am used to a very quick workflow. I HATE mucking with gear/software/computers/instruments. I've had my Montage for months and and this has happened too many times:

- I sit down at the Montage and fire up Digital Performer on my Mac. I start improvising, playing, and maybe laying down a couple of rhythm tracks in MIDI. Then I decide to do something ("x") and realize I don't know how to do x. I knew how to do that with my old MOXF8. And even my Roland Jupiter-50. X is a piece of cake to do on the Virus TI, but after 20 minutes of trying to figure out how to do X on the Montage, I get frustrated. Tired of googling YouTube videos and looking through the Montage manuals (which are generally worthless. I even took the PDFs to Office Depot to have them printed and bound. Waste of money, so far).

Anyhow, I get so annoyed after spending 20 minutes trying to figure out how to do some damn thing that I've done on 17 other keyboards over the course of 25 years that I don't even feel like playing any more.

I am ready to hire a Montage EXPERT to either come over in person (Chicago) or get together with me online to ramp up my knowledge about this thing asap. I want to work through my process and be able to ask questions (and have someone make suggestions) along the way.

Posted : 01/03/2018 4:04 am
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us