Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

using montage with a hardware external sequencer

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello all! So I finally had the chance to go to a music store and try out the Yamaha Montage 8. I am very impressed, not only by it's sound but the quality of the keyboard, the buttons, the faders...well it really is in a class of it's own.

However, I am not a computer guy (don't shoot me) but of course I like to be able to record my playing when inspiration strikes. I have an Akai MPC 5000 sampler/sequencer which I want to use with the Montage. My question is a simple one: I just want to be able to select a sound for recording on track one, select another sound for recording on track two, and so on. Until I have used all 16 midi tracks/channels on my Akai.Reason I am asking this is because I am confused, I understand that the Montage language for what I called a sound is now a part. But I read in the manual that in a performance you have keyboard control over up to eight parts. But I want to be able to record 16 different parts and of course when I switch to a new part I want to be able to play that part on the keyboard when recording to my Akai MPC. So, am I mixing up different things here ? I downloaded the manuals but my confusion only increased so any advice from you would be appreciated very much. Thanks!

Pieter

Posted : 17/10/2017 11:33 pm
Bad Mister

Hi Pieter,
Welcome to YamahaSynth. Let the confusion end. The MONTAGE can be used as a 16 Part multi-timbal tone generator.

From the HOME screen:
Press [CATEGORY SEARCH]
Touch "Init" > touch > "Multi/GM"

This sets the MONTAGE in a Mixing setup with 16 Parts, one per channel.
You can now begin recording to your external Sequencer track by track, just as you are thinking.

When you start with the MULTI/GM template you can set the Category Search (Part Search) ATTRIBUTE = Single, this will then show you all of your Single Part programs (green) which you can select for each Part as you desire. (Only Single Parts that are complete instruments will appear).

The MONTAGE is an extremely flexible synthesizer. It also allows the player to create massive multiple Part Performances where you are layering, splitting, split/layering, using Arps and playing direct, the equivalent of 8 Motif XF Voices. These MULTI PART creations can be used live, or they can easily be captured as MIDI or Audio by the onboard Performance Recorder which is designed to record multiple stream of data. Or you can assign your multiple Parts to the unprecedented 32 audio bus outputs (this does require a computer, though).

But the workflow you ask about is available, ... as you can tell MONTAGE can be used in different ways.

Posted : 18/10/2017 1:21 am
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister! Thank you for tour very quick reply...awesome!

Best regards,

Pieter

Posted : 18/10/2017 2:30 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us