Clear all

Using Montage with ext sequencer

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Anyone doing this? Can single parts of a performance be assigned their own MIDI channel to be triggered track by track (channel by channel) in an external sequencer? Went through the manual and couldn't find anything on this. I'd like to hear other user's experiences if possible.

Thanks a mill:)

Posted : 21/09/2017 4:47 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

You cannot assign arbitrary MIDI channels to each PART of a performance. There are two choices:

1) Each PART number 1-16 corresponds to MIDI channels 1-16 respectively (Multi-Channel MIDI Mode)
PART 1 = MIDI Channel 1
PART 2 = MIDI Channel 2
PART 3 = MIDI Channel 3
... and so on through
PART 15 = MIDI Channel 15
PART 16 = MIDI Channel 16

Other than using the default of multi-channel MIDI - there is nothing to program since the PART-to-MIDI-Channel relationship is fixed inside Montage.

These relationships are fixed

2) Each PART number 1-16 can be assigned to a single MIDI channel (1-16), each part having the same channel (Single-Channel MIDI Mode)
PART 1 = Assigned Single Channel
PART 2 = Assigned Single Channel
PART 16 = Assigned Single Channel

Posted : 21/09/2017 6:44 am
Jeremy

Single parts can be triggered channel by channel but the channel number is fixed in the Montage. I am using my Montage with the Digitakt

Posted : 21/09/2017 10:16 am
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Jason wrote:

You cannot assign arbitrary MIDI channels to each PART of a performance. There are two choices:

1) Each PART number 1-16 corresponds to MIDI channels 1-16 respectively (Multi-Channel MIDI Mode)
PART 1 = MIDI Channel 1
PART 2 = MIDI Channel 2
PART 3 = MIDI Channel 3
... and so on through
PART 15 = MIDI Channel 15
PART 16 = MIDI Channel 16

Other than using the default of multi-channel MIDI - there is nothing to program since the PART-to-MIDI-Channel relationship is fixed inside Montage.

These relationships are fixed

2) Each PART number 1-16 can be assigned to a single MIDI channel (1-16), each part having the same channel (Single-Channel MIDI Mode)
PART 1 = Assigned Single Channel
PART 2 = Assigned Single Channel

PART 16 = Assigned Single Channel

Hi James, thanks for your reply. Thanks to all of you actually. Ok, so just to clarify-the Montage parts can be triggered individually with fixed channels-got it.
I want to record a loop in an external hardware sequencer attached to Montage MIDI in. I want to record different sounds to each track (channel) on the ext. sequencer to build a song using at least 8 parts (channels 1-8) from the Montage-with each sound being a separate track on the ext. sequencer. If I'm understanding this correctly, I can do this in Single MIDI channel mode, whereas in Multi MIDI channel mode, the Montage produces all of the parts on a single MIDI channel only. Is this correct?

Thanks again:)

Posted : 21/09/2017 1:50 pm
Bad Mister

The thing you have to address in any external MIDI recording device (be it a DAW or standalone external Sequencer) is that MONTAGE can, and often does, transmit data on multiple channels simultaneously... but even if you are using 16 Single programs, recording each one at a time, the receiving device must be set to record just a single channel per track.

Many recording devices (to make it easy on newbies) are set to record all incoming MIDI CHANNELS to a track. This way the user doesn't have to deal with MIDI Transmit Channel from their controller... the "channelizing" is done on the playback Output of MIDI data. This works for most things that transmit one channel at a time.

For example, Cubase AI is initially setup so that whatever channel is received at the DAW MIDI IN is documented in the Track, the MIDI CH setting "rechannelizes" all data to the single channel you select on the Cubase Track Inspector. Therefore, when attempting to successfully Record to Cubase AI you must setup one Track, and have it set to "Any" as the input channel... "any" refers to the fact that the channel the data arrives on, is the channel it will be echoed back out on. Sometimes a sequencer might use the word "keyboard" to denote that the MIDI channel the keyboard is set to send on will be the key that the sequencer will send back out.

You need a situation where each incoming MIDI channel goes to its own MIDI Track. Check the operation of your external Sequencer to determine if it filters all but a single channel, or does each track record all channels. This is critical for success!

In Cubase Pro you can setup an Input Transformer, that can block all but one selected MIDI channel from being recorded on any single track.

As you may already know, the concept of a MIDI Track is to separate the data for convenience, like when editing. All 16 channels of MIDI need only a single track. The data is separated by Channel, all 16 channels can be documented on a single MIDI Track. And each MIDI controller event includes the MIDI channel. When you play middle C at a Velocity of 100, the MIDI event includes that it is a NOTE ON (9) on a specific MIDI channel (0-F), its NoteNumber (3C) and its Velocity (64)

90 3C 64 translates to a Note-On on Channel 1, Note 3C = Note #60 or middle C, the Velocity is 64 in hex or 100 on the 0-127 scale.

The significant thing is the event includes the MIDI CHAANNEL. This is why all sixteen channels of MIDI events can coexist on a single MIDI channel. And unless your Sequencer recorder can divide them to separate track either as they arrive or after the fact (Dissolve Part by channel) you will have merged data that quite possibly is squeezed onto a single channel on playback.

Posted : 21/09/2017 2:16 pm
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks BM. My hardware sequencer is quite versatile so I'll mess around today and see what I can do.

Take it easy.

Posted : 21/09/2017 2:25 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us