Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Utilities - ARP Tempo Sync Losing Setting.

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi,

This is my first post so hello to everybody. I have a Montage 6 and am loving it apart from one thing I'm struggling with.

I'd like to globally set all arps to sync an external midi clock (Roland TR8).

I've set the Arp Quantise setting to ON (120 - 16th notes) in the Tempo page in Utilities (assuming this is a global setting) and the clock is set to MIDI. however, I'm finding that if I chose a performance with no arp, it will overwrite the Utilities Quantise setting and set it to OFF. For example, the boot performance (on my machine) CFX +EP FM.

Could anybody please confirm this behaviour? I'm hoping I'm missing something here ๐Ÿ™‚

Many thanks,

James.

Posted : 25/07/2016 3:59 pm
Bad Mister

I've set the Arp Quantise setting to ON (120 - 16th notes) in the Tempo page in Utilities (assuming this is a global setting) and the clock is set to MIDI. however, I'm finding that if I chose a performance with no arp, it will overwrite the Utilities Quantise setting and set it to OFF. For example, the boot performance (on my machine) CFX +EP FM.

Could anybody please confirm this behaviour? I'm hoping I'm missing something here ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes, this behavior is normal, and yes, you may indeed be missing something.

The UTILITY > "Tempo Settings" screen is not for global settings, but rather shows you in one place the current settings as they exist in the PERFORMANCE you entered from. For example, if you enter from the "CFX + FM EP" the Tempo Setting screen will reflect the current Tempo related settings as they exist right now in Montage. The TEMPO will say 90 BPM because that is the stored tempo with the current program.

The Arp parameter "Sync Quantize" is set and STORED as "Off" for the "CFX + FM EP" Performance. And it is because it is stored as Off, that the Tempo Settings screen reflects that setting.

Changing it here is not a global setting, it is a local setting for use now. This "Sync Quantize" parameter controls how sensitive the Montage will be to changing between the eight assigned Arp phrases.

Arp SYNC QUANTIZE: Determines the actual timing at which the next Arpeggio playback starts when you trigger it while the Arpeggio of multiple Parts is played back. When set to โ€œoff,โ€ the next Arpeggio starts as soon as you trigger it. The displayed number indicates the resolution in clocks.
Settings: Off, 60 (32nd note), 80 (16th note triplet), 120 (16th note), 160 (8th note triplet), 240 (8th note), 320 (1/4 note triplet),
480 (1/4 note)

If set to 120 (16th note) for example, the Arp phrase begins at the next nearest 16th note.
If set to 240 (8th note) the Arp phrase begins at the next nearest 8th note.

It does not quantize anything but the start of the Arp phrase, automatically correcting your key presses to the next nearest value. If you are late, all notes in the phrase will be late by that amount. When feeding chord intelligent information to the arpeggiator you must be anything but late. This quantize allows you to set the window of how early you can be... Set to your comfort.

Nothing is overwritten on this page as it is really just a collection of parameters you might need when setting up Tempo synchronization functions. Naturally, the global MIDI SYNC parameter is repeated here along with Click settings.

If you select a Performance expect to see its stored Tempo as current, expect to see its stored Arp Sync Quantize setting reflected. For example, the Performance "DNA Lounge" - it's Arp Sync Quantize is stored at 240 (8th note)... And its stored tempo is 100bpm. So hitting a chord intelligent note or chord will cause the Arp to adjust at the next eighth note.

You can view the Arp Sync Quantize parameter at the top of any of the Part's "Arpeggio" screens.

In order to leave this Tempo Setting screen:
Press [EXIT] to return the Performance you entered from.

Posted : 25/07/2016 4:31 pm
Topic starter

Nice one Bad Mister, thank you for your comprehensive reply...that's clear now.

All the best,

James.

Posted : 25/07/2016 5:26 pm
Share:

ยฉ 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. ย ย  Terms of Useย |ย Privacy Policyย |ย Contact Us