Notifications
Clear all

Volume control of USB audio input

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Greg
Topic starter

Is there a way to control the level of the signal coming in through USB? On the MOXF this was implemented as a slider, but obviously the Montage does not have that implemented via hardware. Is there a setting that allows it?

Posted : 18/05/2016 11:04 pm
Bad Mister

There are three sets of stereo returns from the computer in Montage.

The DIGITAL IN arrives in the Montage with its own channel on the Montage Mixer
In any Performance on the HOME screen, touch "Mixing" to view the Mixer
You can view 16 Parts or you can view the 8 KBD CTRL Parts plus the Audio Ins.

The A/D and Digital in each have a channel strip.
You can view the parameters for this by
Press [EDIT]
Press [COMMON] to view Edit-Common/Audio
Touch "Audio In"
Here you can control the A/D and the Digital In

The other two stereo Audio Returns return audio to the Main L&R Outputs or the Assignable L&R Outputs directly, control over volume is handled in the DAW.

You also have options for Direct Monitoring on the UTILITY > Settings > Audio I/O screen

Posted : 19/05/2016 5:58 am
 Greg
Topic starter

I haven't seen a signal coming in on Digital In, and moving the slider has no effect. What controls when a signal ends up in Digital In? Since I can't control the signal via Mixing, it must be coming in through Main L&R.

I have the Steinberg 1.9.9 driver, and a Mac (10.11). If you let it, Montage becomes the Mac's audio interface, and the Mac's internal volume control is disabled. It's a minor annoyance when using Cubase, since you can adjust the master volume there. But then you forget you have the connection made and watch some youtube video, and the volume is on 11, threatening to blow the speakers.

I also like to play along with songs in iTunes. The only way to set the levels to hear the Montage over the incoming USB audio seems to be back in iTunes.

Am I missing something? My recently departed MOXF was happy to be my Mac's speaker system, provided you turn down the DAW volume slider. The Montage doesn't seem as comfortable in that role (yet). Perhaps a separate audio interface is required.

Posted : 19/05/2016 12:39 pm
Bad Mister

I haven't seen a signal coming in on Digital In, and moving the slider has no effect. What controls when a signal ends up in Digital In? Since I can't control the signal via Mixing, it must be coming in through Main L&R.

I'll have check when I'm back at my Montage, but if you return audio to the Montage mixer called the DIGITAL IN you have a complete channel strip for the audio return.

If you return it to the "Main L&R" it follows that the volume would be merged to that volume control. If you want separate control return the audio to the "Digital In"

As mentioned, unlike your MOXF, the Montage has 3 stereo audio returns. With complexity comes options, sorry, that's the nature of the beast.

If you wish to return audio through the Montage mixer you would set the Return to the second pair of audio returns... Referred to as the "Digital In".

I normally return audio to the "Main L&R" and adjust the level at the device coming in - your point is well taken , having a dedicated DAW return was convenient, but the routing on the Montage is more akin to the Motif XF (FW) but done via USB with double the number output buses from the synth.

You should be able to adjust your computer application sound so that it is appropriate - although YouTube videos do vary greatly in audio quality and level.

Posted : 19/05/2016 7:10 pm
 Greg
Topic starter

Thanks - you had me stumped for a minute because I didn't know you could control how the Mac outputs audio. But I looked at Applications/Utilities/Audio Midi Setup, and I found how the stereo outputs can be assigned to any of the 3 output pairs. I changed to USB3/4 and now I have control in the mixing console. Thanks.

Posted : 19/05/2016 9:32 pm

Bad Mister,

When using an iPhone or iPad, the moment the device is connected to the Montage, the volume of the device is disable. That means, one cannot adjust the audio volume from the device itself. Also, those devices do not provide routing options for us to route them to a specific bus on the Montage (ie the Digital in of the Montage). This creates a situation where, the audio signal(volume) cannot be controlled with nothing else but the Master Volume fader of the Montage.

Is there A way to achieve this goal - routing audio signal from an iPhone or iPad to a specific bus on the Montage? or is the Montage not meant to work with the iPhone, iPad, ect in that capacity?

Posted : 03/06/2016 7:35 pm

Bad Mister,

Disregard my question above. It depends on the app being used. I was able to see all 32 buses onthe app I'm using. So, I'm good.

Posted : 04/06/2016 12:16 am

This topic is very interesting to me. When it comes to audio routing options, Bad Mister is correct. The Montage offers flexibility, and along with that may come some complexities. And I guess that is my struggle with the Montage. I very much desire out of the box simplicity AND complex routing options all at the same time.

I would imagine that the complex audio routing options are used far less than the more practical use case of plug-n-play usage of the hardware controls - even in a professional setting.

Touch screens are phenomenal in their ability to help us navigate the vast functionality of keyboards. However, when I utilize hardware, my goal is to touch the screen and navigate menus as little as possible during an actual performance. This is where the slider on the MOXF comes in handy. In my opinion, it is not most practical to use a digital fader on a screen during a live performance to control by USB/DAW level (especially since Montage is a live performance keyboard).

Posted : 09/06/2016 6:05 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us