Waveform no longer plays after new OS update

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Gary
 Gary
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi BM, sorry to bother you. I updated to 1.2, loaded in my backed up user files and libraries - and everything is just the way it was and should be EXCEPT - my 2 performances you helped instruct me to create (quite successfully) a while back that include waveforms imported from USB stick from my DAW (triggered by "no assign" drum kit) no longer play. They don't even show up as having any data or use any time (in the player window). I have even started over from scratch and can't get them to play, despite the fact they show up in my Waveform Folder. I have changed no parameters whatsoever.

Any clues? (Thanks in advance)

Posted : 18/09/2016 2:28 pm
Gary
 Gary
Eminent Member
Topic starter

... I WAS able to recreate them - (except for the issue of reversed trigger keys). Not sure why uploading after updating OS was not automatic in this regard, but at least I've got it working.

Posted : 18/09/2016 2:41 pm
Gary
 Gary
Eminent Member
Topic starter

The only thing I can't figure out is why one of my performances with a waveform I've successfully programmed with E0 to start, F#1 to stop it. The second performance with a waveform is reversed!! I can't see anything different in the settings. Does anyone have an idea how this reversal might have occurred or how to make it 'right?' How can it reverse without my telling it to?

Posted : 18/09/2016 9:13 pm
Bad Mister

Hi BM, sorry to bother you. I updated to 1.2, loaded in my backed up user files and libraries - and everything is just the way it was and should be EXCEPT - my 2 performances you helped instruct me to create (quite successfully) a while back that include waveforms imported from USB stick from my DAW (triggered by "no assign" drum kit) no longer play. They don't even show up as having any data or use any time (in the player window). I have even started over from scratch and can't get them to play, despite the fact they show up in my Waveform Folder. I have changed no parameters whatsoever.

What do you mean when you wrote this sentence: They don't even show up as having any data or use any time (in the player window).

What is "the player window"?

When you describe your situation, please try to identify which screen you are looking at. Each screen has a title, top line left side. And there are usually one or two columns along the left side of the screen that pin point your location within Montage.

Also, as far as I know, the only way to remove a Library is by directly deleting it or Initializing Everything! ("Initialize All Data").

The Performances do not appear in your Waveform Folder... I think I know what you're trying to say, but cannot be sure. Take your time.

Posted : 18/09/2016 10:53 pm
Gary
 Gary
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thank you for your reply. As to updating the OS and reloading my libraries, User Files, waveforms, etc - they were not present after the OS update, as was explained on the downloads page, I wasn't surprised at that and had done full back ups... These I reloaded without incident except for the waveforms (.WAV), which although the names were there, I couldn't get them to play. (could this be a glitch someone needs to look into, or a known issue?)

Here's what you instructed me previously regarding one method of loading waveforms in particular:

"If you press the play button it will take you to the play/record screen..." (This is what I erroneously called the "player window." Sorry for the improper label.)

What I meant was that in the "play/record" screen - the timer read 0:00, hitting play did not move the "play cursor" (my term) nor played any sound or waveform. That's what did not automatically re-load successfully after OS update. Sorry if that was unclear.

No matter, I've redone my performances, successfully imported my waveforms anew, and all is good EXCEPT for my last post:

Although I specified the "drum key" as E0 (the lowest note on my Montage 7) to initiate play of the waveform in performance, and F#1 to stop playback - this works perfectly on the first performance I made, but works IN REVERSE on the second performance, which uses a different .WAV file, but otherwise is identical in the settings I input, which followed your step by step instructions previously posted. I would like to "fix" this and have the 2nd performance also triggered to play with E0, and stop with F#1. All the readings appear to be the same on the display screens and agree with your previous instructions and use the same settings:

Part 1, Osc/Tune - ON, drum key - E0, Assign Mode - single, Filter cutoff - 255, Level/Pan Decay 1 - 127.Decay 2 - HOLD.

I hope this is a more clear description of what I was talking about and that you can "set me right." Thanks as always for your time and wisdom!

Posted : 19/09/2016 1:35 pm
Bad Mister

"If you press the play button it will take you to the play/record screen..." (This is what I erroneously called the "player window." Sorry for the improper label.)

Yes, but what does this have to do with your Performances.

A .wav is an entity, that even your phone can play, even a computer can play it.

A waveform is what Montage does to your .wav data once you import it internally: As in putting it in a PART for musical play.
A Waveform can play with far, far more flexibility in the Montage than it does as a .wav.
For example: it can be mapped across the keyboard and play 1/12 of an octave higher or lower as move up or down the keyboard.
It can play with 128 notes of stereo polyphony! Simultaneously!
It can be shaped, filtered, made velocity sensitive to respond to a specific key press... Etc. etc. etc.

.wav files can simply playback.

The Montage Play/Rec ("player window") reads the .wav directly from the USB drive just like your phone or computer. And all it can do is basically play it back, period. (We can make it do a few tricks but not many...

Undoubtedly, the firmware update had nothing whatever to do with your .wav data.

The thing I thought you were asking about... And for sure what I'm asking about is the data after it becomes a Montage Waveform. That is very important.

Load you Performances in by restoring your .X7U User file.
From the HOME screen
Press [CATEGORY SEARCH]
Set the BANK = USER
Set the MAIN = ALL
This will show you all of your stored Performances

Find your 2 Performances ... Let us know.

Posted : 19/09/2016 4:04 pm
Gary
 Gary
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Right, I understand what you are saying about .wav files, and what you are asking.

When I do as you instructed above I get all my performances. They are all visible, and all play just like before EXCEPT the 2 performances which had waveforms in Part 1 of each, like I related in my earlier post. (NOTE: these waveforms DO show up in my 'Waveforms' directory on the Montage). These waveforms do not make a sound when I hit the E0 key (which you had instructed me previously to program).

As I said above, I recreated them successfully from scratch, even importing my sound files again, and my waveforms now play within the performances just great.

My only question on this issue is why in one performance the waveform begins it's playback with the E0 key, stops when I hit F#1, both as you instructed a while back utilizing a drum kit,... but the second performance does these play/stop functions in reverse (F#! on, E0 - stop). And how do I reverse this function so they are the same?

Posted : 21/09/2016 6:53 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us