Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

We need software update for a full on sequencer!!!

57 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
Darryl
Prominent Member

I certainly did upvote them a long time ago 😉

Sweet! I have a feeling that Yamaha will provide a number of new features/enhancements within 'Scenes' in the next OS update, and not just KBD CTRL ... but that's just my gut feeling based on the vast potential that Scenes has, as well as what I'm reading on various forums regarding what people would like to see/functionality they'd like to have. Some people would like scenes to auto change or change via a switch/pedal. There are a lot of great ideas out there for Scenes and I have been Up Voting them too if they are on ideascale. Anyone that wants to stay in one particular Performance and change the layers/splits/etc., especially if there is sequencing, ARPs, motion seq., etc. playing, would benefit from these new features/enhancements.

Even without new features/enhancements, this Synth is a beast, as is! I can do pretty much anything I want on it & get any sound out of it that I can dream up. The level of editing detail & things I can make it do with Sequencing via Pro Tools is crazy! I even hooked it up to the dish washer and had it do the dishes for me... 😉

Posted : 10/09/2019 3:29 pm
 Fess
Trusted Member

There are a lot of great ideas out there for Scenes and I have been Up Voting them too if they are on ideascale.

I added my idea for 'Scene Sequencer' this morning.:)

Posted : 10/09/2019 5:32 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

Kool idea, just 'Up Voted' it!

There seem to be more new ideas (good ones) up on ideascale this week than usual!

Posted : 13/09/2019 4:11 pm
 Fess
Trusted Member

Kool idea, just 'Up Voted' it!

There seem to be more new ideas (good ones) up on ideascale this week than usual!

Thanks man. Hopefully the OS development hasn't reached the end...been a long time since any updates at all. And what if we're too late with our ideas? It probably takes a lot of time implementing code and beta testing so I'm just treating it like a finished product and I'm not waiting for anything. If any additions come, that will be nice, but I know my idea has basically slim and no chance of actually been added, and slim left town lol...no sense to wait for features that will probably never happen; now, we have the Fantom- that definitely has my attention. Looks like Roland are reclaiming the throne of innovation. Anxious to see where it goes from here...

Posted : 14/09/2019 1:38 am
Stefan

Fantom can certainly be a nice synth. Once they add proper sample capabilities with a firmware update. What they have right now is a joke. You cannot play anything from the sampling memory as an instrument. If the update ever comes is a question ... According to some people who were waiting for one on an earlier Roland synth. So similar situation 😀

Posted : 14/09/2019 6:45 am
 Fess
Trusted Member

Fantom can certainly be a nice synth. Once they add proper sample capabilities with a firmware update. What they have right now is a joke. You cannot play anything from the sampling memory as an instrument. If the update ever comes is a question ... According to some people who were waiting for one on an earlier Roland synth. So similar situation 😀

A joke huh?: 3 sequencers, 16 balanced outputs (including dedicated filter outputs), XLR inputs with phantom power for condenser mics, stereo analog filter, 3500 sounds, over 90 drum-kits, 256 polyphony with multiple voice engines (more coming) V-piano with unlimited polyphony, DAW control (more templates coming), pad sample trigger (multi-sampling coming), 3 inputs for USB controllers, CV/Gate IO x 2.

The only thing funny to me is how many haters have their foot in their mouth right now. Out of the gate Fantom is a stand-alone song-writing juggernaut studio hub made with quality construction, and insiders have been leaking little hints of much much more to come.

Posted : 14/09/2019 10:33 am
Stefan

Fess, you are misunderstanding: what they have in the sense of sampling is a joke. Play sounds from the pads with no transpose etc. Apart from that it is a very nice machine. I am certainly no hater otherwise I would not have bought one, or?

Posted : 14/09/2019 12:31 pm

No synth is without its flaws. But truth be told if i am going to invest several thousand dollars on a synth i better be able to fully compose a song on it without being tethered to a computer or really what is the point? I can do everything ITB. I want a synth that can liberate me from the box when i need that. If you need a workstation the Montage / MODX is not for you because it is not that and will never be that. I seriously doubt it will ever be much more than it is now.

Posted : 14/09/2019 2:08 pm
Sladjan

A joke huh?: 3 sequencers, 16 balanced outputs (including dedicated filter outputs), XLR inputs with phantom power for condenser mics, stereo analog filter, 3500 sounds, over 90 drum-kits, 256 polyphony with multiple voice engines (more coming) V-piano with unlimited polyphony, DAW control (more templates coming), pad sample trigger (multi-sampling coming), 3 inputs for USB controllers, CV/Gate IO x 2.

The only thing funny to me is how many haters have their foot in their mouth right now. Out of the gate Fantom is a stand-alone song-writing juggernaut studio hub made with quality construction, and insiders have been leaking little hints of much much more to come.

@Fess
I beg your pardon, but listing simple paper facts and half truths and unfounded promises somewhere from the internet don't make a keyboard better or great. For example, what is the point in telling us that it has 3500 sounds? Does that fact make a keyboard better? I personally struggle to find the right, expressive words to tell you how much I don't care about a sequencer on the board of a keyboard. If you need a studio hub, there are far cheaper options out there, including the 3500 sounds. I might have 3500 sounds in my Mainstage 3 app and it costed me some 20-30 bucks. Some have tried the "stereo analog filter" and think it doesn't contribute so much to the sound and it is noisy on the other side.

Now let's talk about some real facts, and I'm basing this on my experience with Roland keyboards which had multi-sampling in the past:
First and foremost, for some strange and inexplicable reason, Roland engineers seem to be unable to create a multisample file format which would allow the user to save his own multisamples out from the keyboard and use them in a future Roland keyboard or convert them to use them in another keyboard. So far, you had to manually import your single samples and create a multisample in the keyboard. But the keyboard doesn't create a file for that multisample and the user doesn't see it. It is completely internal.
What that means is, once you sell your FantomS or X or G, all your multisamples are gone forever and you have to recreate them up from the scratch. No file transfer at all! Hence, the multisampling on Fantom G was even so stupid, that the system recognizes that a single sample has a loop, but it is turned off by default when you load that single sample file into the keyboard. You have to switch to the sample edit page, find the loop parameter and turn it on every time you load a new sample, for every single fu...ing sample. What a fun if you worked on a multi velocity piano multisample with each key being sampled (on Roland that is 4x88 single samples).
I have no idea if you have ever worked with multisamples. If you have, you should know what a nightmare it is to use multisampling on Roland gear.
And I don't see any sign that a "coming" multisample feature will be different this time. Just a comparison: an actual Kurzweil Forte reads multisamples in Kurzweil format from 30 years ago (K200). A Korg Kronos reads multisamples back from the Triton and even earlier from the Trinity. A Montage reads multisamples from earlier keyboards, namely the Motif series. Only a Roland user is the stupid one who has to recreate every single multisample again on each new keyboard Roland releases. Over and over again.

Let us not forget: a lot of features on the new Fantom are clearly dedicated to the gigging musician. 3500 sounds means absolutely nothing if there is not the sound I may need for a song. End of discussion.

And last but not least: even the new Fantom doesn't have a proper file system: you have backup and restore. Even if Roland brings multisampling back, how will you exchange your multisamples with your friends if you cannot load a single file into the keyboard???? If you want to sell/buy new sounds or sound libraries, how are people intended to load them into the keyboard???? There is no way. It is all or nothing. By using restore, the keyboard will erase all your existing patches if you load a libray! Roland once had the options "load/save all" and "load/save one file". And then they make this gigantic step back to some simple restore/backup. Hence, my Jupiter 80 created a backup file and it was always named as backup.svd (not sure about the extension). If I had two different projects for two different bands, each backup for those two bands had absolutely the same file name because you couldn't rename it. That means, you cannot have two backup files on the same usb stick because they have the same name! And Roland fanboys told you back then, that usb sticks are cheap "these days". Well, they are, but those fanboys don't realize that unlike floppy discs, usb sticks don't have an area where you could write what's on them.

To bring this long post to an end:
I personally don't bash a keyboard without experience, or without knowing what it can or what it doesn't. For me personally, the Fantom in its present form is a joke in a lot more areas than just the multisampling but that's just me. The Montage doesn't have a sequencer. We know that. If somebody can't and won't use the Montage with Cubase in a simple setup where you need just one single usb cable connected to your laptop, then you simply have to buy something else. But my experience with Roland so fare doesn't give me any confidence, that they will update the Fantom with a lot of new/cool/needed features. They abandon every single instrument after a short while and they absolutely don't communicate with their users. They don't even have a proper forum besides the privately driven Rolandclan where complaining about obvious lacks on a Roland keyboard would banned you from the forum in no time in the past. After all: as we all say, don't buy a keyboard because of what it could do in the future, but because of what it has now. The Fantom right now is the most expensive one, at the same time it has a lot of areas which are very undeveloped and with a very unbalanced soundset.

Posted : 15/09/2019 8:51 am
 Fess
Trusted Member

You're clearly clueless is you think the Fantom is geared toward giggling musicians when more than a few demonstrators have stated it's a great studio hub, but can be used for gigging, obviously. Unlike you, I know what it's capable of right now and it's strengths and weaknesses. The difference is, the weaknesses can easily be overcome with software, whereas on Montage, they cannot. I own a Montage, and I know very well what it's strengths and weaknesses are- and most of it's weaknesses cannot be fixed by software updates; it would need a code re-write to even remotely compete with Roland's new flagship. If you think multi-sampling and audio tracks isn't coming to Fantom (as well as a boatload of other functions) then- you either know nothing about Roland's past Fantom models or you simply lack vision, and possibly common sense. And I don't know if you've noticed, but EVERY company eventually discontinues their product support- big surprise huh? And what I can do right now with a Fantom is write complete bed tracks for songs- without even thinking about a computer; try doing that with a Montage. In the future? You'll own a Fantom as well as everyone else putting their foot in their mouth right now. This is only the beginning of something great; if you can't foresee that, then I can't help you...you either have vision or you don't.

Posted : 16/09/2019 1:13 pm
 Fess
Trusted Member

Pattern sequencer boys and girls. Prayers have been answered. I've never been so happy to be wrong about something. My plan worked:D

Posted : 22/09/2019 11:17 am
New Member Guest

(Translate with google )

Hello everyone,
I know that there are those who are for and those who are against the full sequencer integrated to YAMAHA MONTAGE,
and that the Keyboard was announced without sequencer, I bought it while knowing this,
I do not regret my purchase on the YAMAHA MONTAGE in its generality.

The DAW does indeed offer a much wider dimension to work, but it is sometimes very useful to have the advanced functions of the sequencer in the keyboard.
Everyone has their needs, so today I ask YAMAHA if it is possible to "evolve" the MONTAGE towards this addition in a potential update 4.0 . 😉
I do not think that adding this "mode" of advanced editing sequences is a considerable work on their side. And all customers would be happy by the same opportunity.
I've been a Roland product fan all my life, I've for once changed brand and I know that YAMAHA particularly follows its products and the opinions of users as they are and want to stay Leader. I hope that a nice surprise awaits us in 2021 on an update v4.0 to finalize in beauty this monster of scene! 😉

MErci à YAMAHA 😉

(Original text in French)
Bonjour à tous,
je sais qu'il y a ceux qui sont "pour" et ceux qui sont "contre" le full séquenceur intégré au YAMAHA MONTAGE , et que le Clavier était annoncé sans séquenceur , je l'ai acheté tout en sachant cela , je ne regrette pas mon achat sur le YAMAHA MONTAGE dans sa généralité .

Le DAW offre en effet une dimension beaucoup plus large pour travailler , mais il est parfois très utile d'avoir les fonctions avancées du séquenceur dans le clavier .
Chacun a ses besoins , je demande donc aujourd'hui a YAMAHA s'il est possible de faire "évoluer" le MONTAGE vers cet ajout de mode dans une potentielle mise à jour 4.0 . Je ne penses pas qu'ajouter ce "mode" d’édition avancé des séquences soit un travail considérable de leur coté , ..Et tous les clients seraient content par la même occasion .

Je suis un Fan des produits Roland depuis toujours, j'ai pour une fois changé de marque et je sais que YAMAHA suit particulièrement ses produits et l'avis des utilisateurs car ils sont et veulent rester Leader .
J'espère qu'une belle surprise nous attend en 2021 sur une mise à jour v4.0 pour finaliser en beauté ce monstre de scène ! 😉

Attached files

Posted : 29/12/2020 8:17 am
Page 4 / 4
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us