Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

When will the full manual be available?

22 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Bad Mister

The one cool thing about the FS1r, though, is if I want a subtle bit of extra motion or a sound that is a little different to the rest of the sounds in a song, the FS1r is what I usually go to to get it. It has a character all of its own.

Just because of the questions raised here, I called up a Performance that uses a Drum Arpeggio (Part2) fed into a Vocoder assigned to Pad sound in Part1 - talk about a unique sound! Using the extensive Side Chaining possibilities in Montage, I also fed the Drum groove into an FM-X Part but only to affect the Output Level of two (FM) Modulators (OP5 and OP7), the audio of the drum strikes "speak" through the Vocoded Pad, and adds this awesome rhythmic harmonic timbre change to the FM-X pad sound.

You begin by thinking... Hmmm, I wonder what'll happen if I do this? I then changed the side chain source from a drum groove arp, to an actual musical arpeggio phrase and the interaction takes you places you know you've not been before.

Getting movement and animation from FM has always been possible, but now (FM-X) so many new ways to do this are available. Then you say to yourself... I wonder what else I can use as a source. Sure it's got Side Chain Compression, even MultiBand Compression, but Side Chain Modulation also includes RingModulation, Dynamic Filter, Dynamic Phaser, Dynamic Flanger, and the Vocoder.

So naturally, a microphone means virtually anything can be a source to modify something about something else! What works is really a matter of experimentation. There is also the ENVELOPE FOLLOWER - where one sound can create an 'envelope' for another to 'follow'... Again the audio of a Part interacts with the destination Part... Where Side Chain compression removes ("ducks") one Part with sound of another, the Envelope Follower allow you to create a situation where the target sound or sounds are activated by the source sound's energy.... At the Element/Operator level of programming, if you wish. Assign the intensity to the Super Knob...

Last thing I tried before retiring last night was creating some Element Pan movement based on the notes of an arpeggio phrase...

Posted : 28/03/2016 1:09 pm
 Jan

"Last thing I tried before retiring last night was creating some Element Pan movement based on the notes of an arpeggio phrase..."

That sounds very interesting. Certainly this wasn't possible on XS/XF, right?

Posted : 28/03/2016 2:09 pm
EXer
 EXer

AMP parametrer Pan = scaled

Posted : 01/04/2016 12:03 pm
Hans-Peter

The download section has been updated:

MONTAGE Reference Manual (& others)

Cheers,

hp

Posted : 26/04/2016 6:08 am
 Jan

Great news! Is a "Data List" pdf coming as well? If so, any ETA?

Posted : 26/04/2016 9:15 am
Bad Mister

It's there as well, under "Montage6/7/8 Data List"

Posted : 26/04/2016 1:24 pm
 Jan

Must have missed it then, thanks.

Posted : 26/04/2016 2:06 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us