Notifications
Clear all

Which way to go : Montage 6 or Montage 7

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello there !

I am new to this forum. I want to replace my old SY-77 and I am looking at the Montage for this task.

My only concern is the size. I have to admit that it was easier to chose 30 years ago, as at that time, there was only one version of the synth...

As mentioned in the topic, I do not know which way to go : either the 61keys Montage 6 or the 76keys Montage 7. A serious price gap is there as well (around 500us$).

I will use it only in my HomeStudio as part of my other rigs (Roland Jupiter 80, JDXa, etc.)

Any help and experience would be more than welcome.

Thanks for your feedback and time !

S.

Posted : 11/05/2017 6:46 am
Bad Mister

The question you are asking is the equivalent of me asking you, "Do these shoes fit my feet?"
You cannot know, they are my feet.

Get the one you desire, it's about the real estate and what makes *you* comfortable. I can't ask others to vote about if I'm comfortable in the shoes I'm trying on, I have to make that decision.

Hope that helps...

Posted : 11/05/2017 7:34 am
 Yoed

For 10 years I was playing the Motif 6, now I switched to the Montage and chose the 7, although it takes more space and I have a very small room.
For me, as someone who loves playing piano, I was missing the "extra octave" on the 6 version.
I think it all comes down to what are you playing - if it's mostly electronic, as long as you don't need many layered splits, I think you can go with the 6, but if you're the "pianist type", the 7 might be better.

That's my 2 cents. Enjoy. I know you will, this instrument is awesome! 🙂

Posted : 11/05/2017 7:38 am
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello Synthury - it's a bit of a personal preference thing, but for me 76 keys were a major attraction - I have a Tyros 3 with only 61 keys, and I was on the edge of buying a Tyros 5 purely for the 76 keys when the Montage came along with a 76 key version, and a synth more than an arranger as well. I prefer synth key action to weighted piano action, so the 88 key never figured. From a practical point of view, the extra keys are hardly ever needed - but they're there, and I don't find myself at the extremes of the keyboard any more. Had there only been a Montage 6 available, I would have bought the 76 key Tyros 5 instead - and that costs even more money!

Posted : 11/05/2017 7:47 am
 Tho
Trusted Member

Montage 6 is cheaper but I still get Montage 7 because it looks professional on the stage with its length plus weighted piano action, and of course I like tyros 5 with 76 keys as well.

Posted : 11/05/2017 12:32 pm
Manuel
Eminent Member

I'd go for the Montage 7 if you still want synth action. In my case I bought the Montage 8 (it will be delivered to me tomorrow afternoon), 'cause I don't want to be limited by 61 keys and I prefer a heavier action.

Posted : 11/05/2017 5:50 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

There are only a few things that differentiate the 7 vs the 6. Since you've already ruled out the 8 - which has a fantastic "weighted" keybed - the keybed will not be a difference between the two (7 and 6).

Differences:

1) 7 has more than an octave more worth of physical keys - 15 more (76 vs 61).
2) 7 takes up more room horizontally in order to fit the extra keys
3) The 7 retails (pricing) for higher than the 6
*4) 7 weighs more due to extra mass of more keys, larger case, and extra support circuitry for keys.

If you're sticking this in a studio - then I would imagine weight does not matter since this implies not moving the keyboard around much and any semi-sturdy table can support the weight of several Montages (even the 8). So I placed an asterisk by "4)" since it shouldn't really factor in.

Otherwise, everything is the same. Same features, screen, buttons, same mechanism for the keys (keybed type), same I/O - digital, analog, interface, etc.

I think you can decide if and how the wallet factors in here. And if you can fit the larger keyboard in your studio (look up the specs yourself for dimensions). And if you would gain or lose anything by having more keys.

My use is live - so I care deeply about how many keys I have access to. But in your studio - I don't know if that factors in or not. Totally different use. My decision was based purely on weight and number of keys. I wanted the most keys - but couldn't deal with the weight of the 8 - so I went with the 7. This is because I haul the keyboard around 4-8 times a week -- and this would be a very different story for a keyboard that stays in the studio.

This is all very individual - because other live players may have different resources as far as help. Or may have different thresholds as far as if a weighted keyboard is an absolute necessity or not. Everyone would fill in a more detailed questionnaire that included reasons for picking one configuration vs. another very differently. This is why there are diminishing returns in polling the group for answers on how to choose your final keyboard.

Posted : 11/05/2017 7:45 pm
Tony
 Tony

I own the Montage 8.
If you are only using it for supportive parts you can do the 6...
I would do the 7... Extra keys and weighted.
If you are that far invested whats a few hundred more to get so MUCH More.
( You may be able to negotiate another $100 in favor of the 7- It doesn't hurt to ask 🙂
Grab the one you want to use and suits your long term purpose and maybe add some new possibilities !!!
Best of Luck! 🙂

Posted : 15/05/2017 4:01 pm
Topic starter

Hi there,

Thank you all for your kind replies.
A finally ordrerd the Montage 7.
In fact, after a probable mistake (??) on the website of my favorite local music shop, I had the chance to get a very good price on a 7.

I am very impatient but will have a to wait a bit for the delivery.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

S:

Posted : 22/05/2017 7:47 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Congrats - mistake and all.

Posted : 23/05/2017 12:54 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us