Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

why i need a looper function for the recorder?

23 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
natalini
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I play live, alone and I like the looper function because I can, in the move of improvisation, free my left hand in order to modulate the articulation and expression of the right hand with joystik and another controllers. Is their another musicians in this case ? How they deal with this issue ? If Yamaha don't want to change they policy, they could put in the Market a desktop midi looper sequencer with dedicated function for the montage. Or will have to use with the montage a motif xf. But buying a motif for the sequencer and also the ability to build his own arpeggio is a costly solution.

Posted : 04/08/2016 5:19 pm
Steve

I agree this recorder with a loop function would be extremely useful to me.. I too use my Montage live and very rarely have time to use a DAW so the recorder, as it is, is sadly not very useful for me.. Please Yamaha, consider programming this function in, on a near future OS update..

Posted : 05/08/2016 1:15 am
natalini
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Yes, sadly it is.

Posted : 05/08/2016 7:01 am
Christine

agreed agreed! The performance recorder is useless to me - I might as well use a DAW where at least I can multi-track the audio outputs.

But a looper would be hugely useful for live performance, I already use the one in the Reface DX so I'm not after anything fancy.

Posted : 05/08/2016 7:22 am
natalini
Estimable Member
natalini
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Good question, it need more precision.

Posted : 05/08/2016 3:34 pm
Tony
 Tony

Hey guys, interesting ideas - yes, a loop recorder would be great, but I'm not going to sign a petition over it. I can use a DAW, an iPad app or a good old-fashioned loop pedal for that. The Montage is not a workstation (in recording terms - it would definitely qualify in terms of sound design) and it was never designed to be a Motif XF.

And - this might be a translation issue (if so, apologies if this causes offence) - but no one (or anyone's hope) has been deceived. If you bought a Montage because your synthesizer dealer told you it did everything and more that Motif XF did, your dealer has mislead you (probably unintentionally) and you should take that up with the dealership.

I'd recommend not worrying about what isn't there and making use of the huge amount that is 🙂

Posted : 05/08/2016 6:19 pm
natalini
Estimable Member
Topic starter

It does not mater of hope or to be deceived. It just mater to have the useful tool you need for your workflow. But of coarse if nobody need a looper function, why Yamaha should implement it. Hardware looper in the market are not serious and not everybody want to use computer in live situation. I buy the montage for what it is , but why it could not elvove? Specially when what we ask is not a big thing. But anyway, I am glad and enjoy to play it even it does not reach completely the goal for me. Live situation need proper tools, that's all.

Posted : 05/08/2016 7:26 pm
Bernd

Erased by Bernd #2

Posted : 05/08/2016 11:04 pm
Tony
 Tony

natalini wrote:

It does not mater of hope or to be deceived ... ... but why it could not elvove? Specially when what we ask is not a big thing.

Hi Natalini, the petition text specifically says that people's hopes were deceived:

With the release of Yamaha's current flagship synthesizer Montage, fans of the now-abandoned Motif series were hopeful that the new instrument would live up to the legacy that the predecessors established. So far their hopes were deceived.

Talk of deceit makes it sound like those who sign the petition have been personally and intentionally hurt by Yamaha which clearly isn't the case. So I think some re-wording would be helpful.

In terms of a loop function, yes, it would be nice to have - I don't think we can say whether or not it is or isn't a big thing to add (yes, the idea is simple, but implementing it might not be). I'd guess the better way forward for those inclined would simply be to send messages to Yamaha personnel on this site and via the Yamaha office in their country or region, and to add to (or start) a new features thread on this forum.

Posted : 05/08/2016 11:45 pm
Bernd

Erased by Bernd #2

Posted : 06/08/2016 4:55 am
natalini
Estimable Member
Topic starter

That is funny. Some people like to think that when we wish some evolving on a machine, we don t ask the machine to make coffee, we are like a guy who buy a sport car and complain the car company that it is not a family car . I will suggest an over image: a guy who buy a roll Royce and discover than the design does not include an emplacement for a CD radio player.

Posted : 06/08/2016 10:48 am
Steve

That petition with its laundry list of demands is a lot of silliness. I was never deceived and do not regret my purchase of the Montage one bit.

If anything, I was blown away by the quality of sounds and the crazy amount of ways to shape and flow with them live..

For my use sans-DAW, a looping feature I could use live would be icing on the cake. The recorder sketch pad is the ONLY thing on the face of my Montage that doesn't have a use for ME..

I wanted to be part of a conversation talking about the possibility of a live looping feature added (programed in) to the recorder in some future OS/firmware update.. I don't EXPECT it and I certainly don't DEMAND it lol..

Posted : 06/08/2016 11:49 am

It will be interesting to see whether the 'petition' has any effect in the longer term -- at least it's generating comment here on the official Yamaha website, so that's something!...

I have recently had the chance to try out a Montage 8 at my local dealer, where I spent a couple of hours - unhindered - with my headphones on, just experimenting. Of course, I only scratched the surface of the capabilities, but I have to report that... it is an incredible machine ... It looks, feels and sounds absolutely wonderful...:)

So, will I be replacing my MOX6 and P105 combination with a new Montage?.....sadly not.
I'm one of those who has no interest at all in using a 3rd party DAW, and therefore needs an onboard sequencer for my own style of music making.

But I'm not crying foul here... Yamaha have made it abundantly clear all the way through that the Montage does not have a sequencer which includes an editable pattern mode. They haven't tried to hide it....
For those who are complaining bitterly about this change of direction from Yamaha, the answer is simple. Don't buy a Montage - look elsewhere for your 'standalone' workstation...

Having said all of that, if Yamaha do decide to add a loopable, editable pattern sequencer option to the Montage in the future, I would a buy one in a heartbeat... But if I'm honest, I'm not going to hold my breath....

I suppose I could keep my MOX, and replace my P105 with a Montage.. although I'm not sure how - or even whether - I could use my MOX sequencer with the Montage voicing effectively?....

Posted : 06/08/2016 12:22 pm
Bernd

Erased by Bernd #2

Posted : 06/08/2016 1:09 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us