Notifications
Clear all

Yamaha AN-X

71 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
Jason
Illustrious Member

Just for clarification regarding the Roland Fantom ... If you were to buy the lifetime keys, is it true that you would need to buy each Model Expansions (=Virtual Instruments), such as a (D-50, TR-808, JUPITER-8, JX-3P & SH-101) for example?

Yes, each expansion has its own lifetime price so if you want multiple (unless Roland runs some other promotion to bundle multiple) then you would buy each one separately at its own lifetime cost.

And then you would/could buy Sound Packs for those Model Expansion Virtual Instruments..!?

The model expansions come with a set of sounds like the original factory presets already (and I believe more reimagined content too). And I see there are sound packs available that target specific model expansions - so yes.

And regarding memberships, do you also need to pay for a monthly or yearly membership on top (or to start with) in order to use the Fantom (or at least in order to be able to purchase/user the Model Expansion Virtual Instruments)..?

There's no need to purchase any of this to use the Fantom and its stock presets including editing your user content. Furthermore, there is no need for a subscription to purchase the model expansion since you could elect to go for the lifetime keys (i.e. non-subscription).

Posted : 21/11/2022 5:53 pm

Can anyone confirm or deny that there is or is not a second swp70 chip in the new MODX+?

Posted : 21/11/2022 10:46 pm
Member Admin

[quotePost id=119435]Yes.[/quotePost]

Some kind of record has been set, here. Exquisite.

Can anyone confirm or deny that there is or is not a second swp70 chip in the new MODX+?

@Chris

Imagine if it doesn't have an extra SWP70... and that goes public... that'd set a new record for Yamaha's "upgrading" and change the definition of + as a product name moniker.

I had just presumed they'd just stuck in the Montage main board with the extra chip, but without the DAC and ADC. But you raise an interesting point... what if... they didn't!?

Posted : 21/11/2022 11:39 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The chips used inside MODX+ is not a secret. Anyone who doesn't mind voiding their warranty can pop the hood and take a look. I haven't been able to locate the MODX+ service manual(s) yet. When I last inquired, the response from Yamaha was that it was too early (just days away from launch) for the docs to be online. I still don't see the docs there but it's a bit of a guessing game. It's probably best for me to check with the parts folks again. Typically I call and the folks there are more than willing to help.

The MODX (not plus) part is "S M MODX6" for the MODX6 service manual. I've tried all of the variants I can think of for the plus model. Part numbers do not accept "+" so "plus" or "pl" pr "p" or "pls" were tried along with lots of variation where to add spaces along with many variations of the numbers (8 by itself, 6 by itself, 67 together 678 together, etc).

There aren't any MODX+ replacement boards yet tricked down to the resellers nor have the newer service manuals. In other words, I've searched off-Yamaha sources and didn't find anything there either.

Posted : 22/11/2022 4:45 am
Darryl
Prominent Member

It appears that it's being kept quite hush hush, as no one is willing to void their warranty, Yamaha aren't making the service manual readily available/easily found, and those who service the new MODX+ have not disclosed what's inside nor shared any pics.

Maybe Yamaha are keeping things under wraps until the next OS update, and are keeping the MODX+ service manuals with completely different names until after so that we don't spill the beans before they are ready to launch and reveal the new update!?

So it appears to me that they are trying to keep it a secret in a loose sense of the definition...

Posted : 22/11/2022 12:48 pm
 Paul

Hi --

I was going to let this alone, but I think expectations are running ahead of available fact.

I don't worry about how many SWP70s are in the new MODX+. I worry about what is inside of an SWP70 IC.

Yamaha engineering discovered long ago how to use their hardware pipeline(s) to compute both sample playback (AWM) and FM synthesis in the same pipe. Yamaha have never disclosed the pipeline design, but it likely consists of X dedicated pipelines specifically designed for AWM/FM.

This pipeline is probably not a general DSP like DSP56362, TMS320VC550, etc. Please remember, Yamaha chose to use their DSP2 processor in the Reface CS and DX instead of an AWM-capable chip like the SWX08 (a cousin to the SWP70).

I fear discussion has reached the point where Yamaha will disappoint customers because of speculation.

Sorry to be a wet blanket -- pj

Posted : 22/11/2022 6:43 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

[quotePost id=119449]
Sorry to be a wet blanket -- pj
[/quotePost]
It does smell a bit musty now :p
jk, no worries Paul! 😉

It's just fun to speculate and although I am leaning toward the side that there is a second SWP70 in the MODX+ and it's there mainly for an AN-X engine, I would only be mildly surprised if either or both are not true. I don't really care to have an AN-X engine, so for me it would not be a disappointment.

Best case scenario for Yamaha IMHO is that they are planning to add an AN-X engine to the Montage/MODX+ ... If not, then I suspect they will lose many more Montage sales to the Roland Fantom, and lose 5 times more sales than that of the MODX+ to both the Fantom & the Fantom-0 series (just my gut feeling).
Best case scenario for me personally is that they don't add an AN-X engine, but OS update 4.0 is realized & provides numerous useful features & enhancements, such as some awesome new effects &/or enhancements to the FM-X engine &/or they add an Undo/Redo Button for when Modifying a Performance &/or they add Element ON/OFF Switch Control to 'Scenes'. I'd far rather see these then an AN-X engine...
Worst case scenario for me, is they don't have any more OS updates for the Montage to which I will not be disappointed, as I am more than happy with what the Montage can already do!! 😉

What ever happens, it's still a good scenario for me, as I'll continue enjoying my Montage and just find something else at some point to have fun speculating about! 😀

Posted : 22/11/2022 8:06 pm
Member Admin

Have no fear Cherry Audio just released the GX-80!!!!

Posted : 23/11/2022 12:16 am
Member Admin

[quotePost id=119451]Have no fear Cherry Audio just released the GX-80!!!![/quotePost]

This release video for the GX-80 seems like Cherry Audio is taking the piss out of Yamaha, and can't even believe this was an opportunity for themselves:

https://youtu.be/5h-oki0UOFg

" a year in the making..." etc.

Posted : 23/11/2022 6:16 am
 Paul

Hi Darryl --

Folks here are generally cool WRT rumors. Unfortunately, people on other forums sometimes take speculation as fact and then expect Yamaha to deliver. I have a lot of good will toward Yamaha and sometimes see "Well, Paul says..." Yikes, I wish I really knew -- and then I would probably be under NDA. 😀

Service manuals are always like shooting dice. The support and parts departments are at the very end of the technical food chain. They do their best. Plus, Yamaha policy regarding distribution and availability changes from time to time. (Typical for any big corporation.) I'm quite fortunate that I have what I have. A few of the support people have gone above and beyond on occasion.

I expect a shoe to drop sometime in the Spring, maybe as late as NAMM in April 2023. Maybe with the letters "CK"? 😮

Happy holidays to everyone -- pj

Posted : 23/11/2022 8:33 pm

Interesting points. I am happy with the synth as it is. I did not own an MODX and go out and get an MODX+, it replaced a Roland FA06 and its atrocious keybed (yes I like the MODX keybed a lot - its relative). I did not buy it based on future expectations of updates. However, given the price change, and the knowledge that the memory was already there, I don't think all that the additional cost was to cover the new rubberized pitch/mod wheels. I highly doubt current MODX users are going to go out and buy one of these - there needs to be something additional, perhaps exclusive to lure the existing base. Also, as someone stated above, if Yamaha wants to keep pace with the new Roland Fantom line - particularly the UI and sequencer (piano roll please) departments, they have to do something. I was expecting an all new synth, but that didn't happen, so I think something is going on.

Personally, I think there is something different under the hood - at least to support the increased polyphony and maybe other things, but who knows. At this point its an MODX with increased FM-X polyphony and unlocked memory.

What is the significance of "CK" (other than being my initials 😀 )?

Posted : 24/11/2022 3:06 am
Page 5 / 5
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us