Notifications
Clear all

Yamaha misplaced

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi,

I live in Australia and have just purchased a Montage8 yesterday. When I opened up the package, I noticed something peculiar.

1. The included user manual and other information booklets/leaflets and stuff are only printed in 4 European languages, no English at all. When I contacted the authorized dealer, they just said it is normal for Yamaha and played it down. Is it really?

I was suspicious so I checked further. That's when I found out why all the information was in the 4 European languages.

2. On the underside of the unit is a label that says that the unit is imported by Yamaha Europe GMbH. There is a serial number on the label on the back panel which says (among other things) "For Korea".

Now I basically have a Montage 8 which was made in Japan for Korea and was meant to be sent to Europe but has landed in Australia! I am thinking...did some cargo ship get lost at sea..?

When I mentioned this to the dealer and asked if it is safe to connect the unit to the mains with no voltage specifications for Australia, he laughed it off and said, 'look, I've no idea why on earth Yamaha would send us a unit that was meant to be in Europe...but, hey, just go ahead and plug it in and if it blows up, it's not your fault, we'll send it back to Yamaha'.

I was confused so I tried calling Yamaha Australia. They checked the serial number out and said that the unit is legit and has been made in Japan for markets in Europe, Australia, Korea, etc. (I am not sure if that is really the case, but that's what they told me). They further said that the sticker underneath is misleading and that they have never seen one like that before. They assume that the sticker is to advise European customers of their local point of contact. I was told that they would send me a printed English language user manual.

Does anyone know what is going on here? Has anyone else had this 'issue' before?

Thank you.

Attached files

Posted : 19/11/2019 11:24 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Previous topics suggest that the power supply is uniform in all Montage keyboards ("universal", "multi-voltage" ) with only the power cable needed to regionalize at least input power side of Montage's operation.

... so the laughter and comments about equipment "blowing up" seems like bad form. Even so, the general notion they were getting at, underlying the poor messaging, is still valid. The instrument should adjust to your regional power requirements by design of the power supply. Regional support (not the dealer) should be able to confirm this. I think they implicitly did by indicating that Europe=Australia=Korea in terms of product deliverables.

Posted : 20/11/2019 7:22 am
Member Admin

I got a MODX with European manuals.

I'm not in Europe.

Posted : 20/11/2019 11:07 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us