Notifications
Clear all

Yamaha Montage 8 semi-rigid case?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Mark
Topic starter

Does Yamaha have any plans to offer a case for the Montage 8 ?

When I bought my Motif 8 several years ago I bought the Yamaha supplied case
with it and quite honestly it's really a very well made case. Handles in all the right
places, shoulder strap - wheels and heavy duty construction for the most part.
It's pretty toasted now from 17 years of use, but it's still a great case.

Does anyone know who may have made this case for Yamaha? - I'd love to get one just like
it sized for the Montage 8.

The only thing I found so far that the Montage fits is a Road Runner case that was barely
long enough. I really had to squeeze it in there. The sides were weak and the handles weren't
in the right places either - needless to say I wasn't impressed and I took it back after one gig.

Just wondering if anyone can make a recommendation based on this info.

Thanks

Posted : 14/06/2017 6:50 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

"Not Road Runner" is a pretty good start. I did use this brand of case because it was cheap as a gig bag and spent more on the next gig bag. Wouldn't do a gig bag for the 8. Not sure what semi-rigid means. Looks like it means a gig bag with a plastic internal frame:

The durable nylon exterior covers a polyethylene-reinforced interior frame that gives your instruments more protection than the standard padded case

Not sure about the handle story - but I've been happy with Gator cases. They have a semi-rigid line.

... although they have semi-rigid cases, none of these are recommended for Montage. Probably due to the weight and how much force the handles/etc. can withstand. TSA or road cases are recommended:

http://gatorcases.com/case-advisor-results/?type=Other&length=57.06&width=18.5&height=6.31&measurement=Inches&man=Yamaha&product=Montage8

That said, you can go against recommendation and still find a semi-rigid case from them that fits as they have 3 different lengths - slim, standard, and extra long.

Posted : 14/06/2017 7:40 pm
 Mark
Topic starter

Yep the Road Runner was pretty weak.
I already went the Gator route too. The GK88 is just a little too small for the depth. The GK88XL is too long.
I called Sweetwater and had them do a test fit to see. As far as I can tell the only thing available to fit is something
like an SKB molded case which is fine but a bit of a pain in the ass to lift in and outta the car. Not to mention an
extra 30 lbs. The semi-rigid (nylon on the outside, plastic on the inside for rigidity) like the Gator, is preferred just
cause it's easy to move around.

I thought someone may have known something about the manufacturer of the old Yamaha case.

Just looking for alternatives.

Posted : 14/06/2017 9:00 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Gator themselves doesn't recommend either - so maybe that's the issue (size) for that line. At least Gator's case lookup system doesn't lead you astray.

Not sure this fits "semi-rigid" - but does appear to be a Yamaha product and claims it was made for the Montage 8.

http://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and-Pianos/Yamaha-Montage-8-Soft-Case/1SHB

Although the description mentions "Montage 6" which is troubling.

... not sure this is official, in other words. Maybe Yamaha can chime in.

Others may help with their own experience with cases for the 8.

Posted : 15/06/2017 12:47 am
Karl
 Karl
Eminent Member

I purchased the Gator GTSA88 from Sweetwater, and it fits just fine.

Gator ATA TSA keyboard case 88-key

Posted : 16/06/2017 6:34 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us