Clear all

Yamaha montage garritan cfx

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Gary
Topic starter

Hello,

I am using the montage with Logic Pro x with Garritan CFX vst, I can’t get sound from the software, only factory sounds from the Montage. Do you know what settings you have to make on the Montage to get the piano vst to work?

Posted : 28/05/2019 3:00 pm
Bad Mister

Your question is concerning using the MONTAGE as a MIDI controller.
[UTILITY] > “Settings” > “MIDI I/O” > Set MIDI I/O = USB
Set “Local Control” = Off _ this disconnects the MONTAGE Keyboard from the MONTAGE Tone Generator
Set the MONTAGE to the Init “Multi/GM” Performance when working with an external DAW.

You need to download, install the “Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver” for your computer type and operating system. This allows the MONTAGE to communicate with your computer... and it can now act as both a MIDI and Audio Interface for your computer. Select the MONTAGE as your audio Interface within your software, connect the Main L&R Outputs of the MONTAGE to a quality pair of monitors. All audio from your DAW, including any plug-in synths, will be output via the MONTAGE Main L&R — as it is your audio interface.

If you have issues with your DAW or the plug-in please contact those companies respectively. As far as I know, Logic Pro does not support VST protocol, so you may want to see if there is an AU version of the plug-in... but support for Logic and/or Garritan would know this info.

Posted : 28/05/2019 4:21 pm
 Gary
Topic starter

Hi, when I turn off local control I get no sound from the keyboard. I connected the monitors to output balanced R/L mono.

Posted : 29/05/2019 10:14 am
Bad Mister

That is correct. Local Control allows the MONTAGE Keyboard to trigger the “local” Tone Generator (that’s the MONTAGE). By setting “Local Control” = Off, the MONTAGE will no longer sound... MIDI messages generated by the MONTAGE Keyboard can now be used to trigger the plug-in synth (that’s remote control).

Again, for how to get it to work is really a Logic Pro or Garritan question. We answered how you can use the MONTAGE as a Keyboard controller for your computer. The first step is ensure that your Key presses are not routed to MONTAGE but Out via MIDI to your external device.

You’ll need to determine if the soft synth can run in Logic Pro. This I do not know. I mentioned that Logic Pro, as far as I know, does not run VST plug-ins... you’ll need to check with them. I’m not familiar at all with the plug-in software you are trying to run in LogicPro (but this should be easy to verify). If it comes with AU compatibility then there will be no problem running it in Logic Pro (most third party plug-ins offer a variety of versions to accommodate the most DAWs).

But for details on running plug-in in Logic Pro, please contact them for support. Basically, you need to select the MONTAGE as the MIDI controller, and direct the messages to the plug-in.

Do you have the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver?
The Driver allows you to set the MONTAGE as both a MIDI and Audio Interface for your computer.
Audio from Logic Pro will be routed to the Main L&R Outputs of the MONTAGE (as your Audio Interface).

Posted : 29/05/2019 10:36 am
 Gary
Topic starter

Hi,
Logic Pro X comes with AU compatibility, it must be the setting in Logic Pro that is wrong.
Is it better using this piano software with Cubase, I have a free Cubase download with my montage.

Thank you

Posted : 29/05/2019 6:11 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

By setting “Local Control” = Off, the MONTAGE will no longer sound..

Just to clarify - when "Local Control" = Off, pressing the keys will not make Montage make any sound directly. Normally when Local Control=ON, pressing keys will trigger the internal tone generator to make noise. "Local Control" = Off will sever this link so the tone generator will not make noise as a result of direct key press. Montage will still make sounds, even with "Local Control" = Off, if external MIDI commands arrive into Montage or if Montage is used as an audio interface playing audio streams coming from your Mac (as in the audio from a VST).

The quote above, if taken literally, "sounds" like Montage will be a silent brick with this setting. This is not the case. I know this isn't what BM meant - but wanted to help clear that up if there was confusion.

Posted : 29/05/2019 7:15 pm
Bad Mister

Hi,
Logic Pro X comes with AU compatibility, it must be the setting in Logic Pro that is wrong.
Is it better using this piano software with Cubase, I have a free Cubase download with my montage.

Use whatever DAW you wish.

Posted : 30/05/2019 9:37 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us