Notifications
Clear all

A/D Input Instrument Recording to DAW via FW

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I have a Motif XF with the Firewire Expansion connected to an iMac running Garageband(GB). i am new to using a DAW and am playing with GB before buying Cubase or Logic, With GB I can open a new track and record Motif voices from a performance easily. However I cannot record the A/D Input.

I have a Tyros 3 connected to the A/D Input and I am playing it from the Tyros Keyboard (GB doesn't have a way to return MIDI to the MIDI out of the Motif). So I hear the Tyros as part of the Motif Performance but cannot record the audio to GB.

In the Performance I have the A/D Output set to L&R. I tried a few of the FW pairs and not only did it not record but I could no longer hear the voice.

Can the A/D Input have its output set to L&R and have it record an audio track in the DAW?
or

Must i use a different buss and use one of the FW pairs or singles?

Or is this a GB issue?

Thanks

Posted : 19/02/2015 7:36 pm
Bad Mister

In the Performance I have the A/D Output set to L&R. I tried a few of the FW pairs and not only did it not record but I could no longer hear the voice.

When you remove a PART from the main L&R outputs and assign it to the Assignable Outputs it is removed from the system outputs - it then follows that of course you cannot hear it. This is the purpose of the "FW MONITOR SETUP" options. The "with PC" and "PC DRCT" options allow you to monitor items routed to the assignable FW outputs
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F2] I/O

Can the A/D Input have its output set to L&R and have it record an audio track in the DAW?
or

Must i use a different buss and use one of the FW pairs or singles?

Or is this a GB issue?

Yes.

Yes, you can have the A/D Input set to L&R and record it as audio to a DAW.
Yes, you can use any of the fourteen Assignable FW OUTPUTS and record those.
Yes, this is a GB issue. (We cannot give you support for GB here).

Why not use a proper DAW, like Cubase AI, that came with your Motif XF? Not only will it better prepare you for using a purchased DAW, you may find it better equipped to handle recording of both MIDI And/or Audio from your Motif XF.

And you will be able to transfer 100% of the knowledge and experience you gain when you move up to a full version of Cubase.

We highly recommend you try Cubase AI - nothing to buy, you already have it!

Here is a step-by-step Getting Started Guide:
Motif XF YSFW Setup for Macintosh with Cubase

Posted : 19/02/2015 9:10 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks BM I will switch to AI. I didn't see the link for he Getting Started Guide.

Posted : 19/02/2015 9:17 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

In GarageBand when starting a new project I needed to:

Found the problem and solution in Garageband. I needed to:

Select play "Audio from a Mic or Line Instrument"

(didn’t think I needed to do this since the Motif voices were sounding and recording).

Then I received a drop down that listed 16 Single Inputs and 8 Double Inputs.

For example:

Inputs 1 through 16

Inputs 1&2 through15&16

Selecting any worked but the best sound was 2-16 or 3&4-15&16

Selecting 1 or 2 or selecting 1&2;sounded overly reverb-ed.

A/D Output set to L&R

Joe

Posted : 23/02/2015 7:21 pm
Bad Mister

Selecting 1 or 2 or selecting 1&2;sounded overly reverb-ed.

If GarageBand simply numbers the Motif XF Output 1-16, it is unable to see their proper names... So YOU will need to be smarter than it is...

Here's what I mean. The XF has 16 outputs yes, but they are divided as the Main L/R plus fourteen assignables. Read that again to be clear.

Main Left
Main Right
FW1
FW2
FW3
FW4
FW5
FW6
FW7
FW8
FW9
FW10
FW11
FW12
FW13
FW14

The reason 1&2 sound "reverb-ed" is because they are the MAIN SYSTEM Outputs, and are the only Outputs that can use the SYSTEM EFFECTS. When you re-route a PART to an assignable output, it is removed from the Main (System) Outputs... Same as would happen in any Mixing Console where you take a direct output from a channel... You do so to isolate it from the others. The REVERB and CHORUS processors are SYSTEM EFFECTS and work like auxiliary sends on a console... They are communal effects... All channels have sends to these ...unless you assign the Part to an assignable FW1-14 output.
Make Sense?

Normally, all PARTS are assigned to the Main L/R Outputs, and have access to the Reverb chamber you have selected and the Time Delay (Chorus) type you have selected. To assign a PART to the first assignable FW output GarageBand (which is blind to the real names) you will need to set it what GB call "3".

You can adjust the REVERB SEND to each PART, so if it is too much reverb, adjust the SEND level per PART.

Posted : 23/02/2015 8:02 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks BM. That's what I thought. I assigned the A/D input to 3&4. It works fine.

Thanks again.

Posted : 24/02/2015 3:08 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us