12 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Tony
 Tony
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hello Again!

Last night I tried for the first time hooking up a Ketron SD2 Orchestrator from the MIDI Out of the Rack XS to the MIDI In of the SD2.

The SD2 receives MIDI in OMNI mode which means it receives on all 16 MIDI channels at once. It does not have USB connectivity.

On the Motif Rack XS Editor, I turn on ARP mode, and choose an arpeggio to loop continuously.

MIDI Out is turned on and set to Channel 1.

If the Motif Rack XS mode is set to 'USB', the SD2 does not play the ARP. If it is set to 'MIDI', the ARP sounds.

Is it possible to use the MIDI Out when in USB mode?

Posted : 06/10/2017 3:44 pm
Bad Mister

Is it possible to use the MIDI Out when in USB mode?

Yes.

You have to echo the data using the computer. What do you have in your setup besides the Motif-Rack XS and the Ketron... is there a DAW software involved or just the Editor?

Posted : 06/10/2017 7:05 pm
Tony
 Tony
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Sounds hopeful! I'm not currently using a DAW since I'm using this in a live setting. Pictures of my ultimate rig is attached for your entertainment. πŸ˜€

You might be able to spot in one of the pictures that I use my iPad running Arlo Media's BandHelper, and that's so I can have chord charts and also wirelessly send MIDI commands to the Rack XS for changing voices, etc.

The Arturia KL88 has the Yamaha MD-BT01 in the MIDI In/Out ports. A MacBook Pro is running the Motif Rack XS Editor with MIDI Thru checked.

The MIDI In/Out ports on the Rack XS are the only ones available, so that's what I tried using with the Ketron SD2.

Perhaps I should hook up my MOTU Fastlane so the MIDI comes from the MacBook Pro?

BTW, I also still have my original Motif Rack. Any benefit to using that instead of the SD2?

Best Regards,
Tony Gardner

Posted : 06/10/2017 9:12 pm
Tony
 Tony
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Sorry, no luck uploading pictures! Forum Admin, please help if you can!

Posted : 06/10/2017 9:24 pm
Bad Mister

Okay, I'm getting a better picture of your setup. So the Ketron is a module (?) and the Arturia is your keyboard.

What is triggering the Arpeggiator of the Motif-Rack XS? I ask because you say the Arturia Keyboard is Bluetooth'd to an App...

Posted : 06/10/2017 10:30 pm
Tony
 Tony
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Can I just swing by your studio and show you? How 'bout we make the day of it!

Seriously, I'm in my studio right now, and I've pretty much scrapped the idea!

I wish I could attach those pictures of my Ultimate Rig to give you a better idea of what I'm working with! Perhaps your tech dudes can help?

Lastly, just to clarify...
1. The Ketron SD2 Orchestrator is a multi-timbral MIDI synth with awesome sounds. I think it's made in Italy.
2. The Arturia KeyLab 88 is my Go To MIDI Controller of choice with a gorgeous Fatar keybed, and LOTS of controls.
3. The MD-BT01 is Yamaha's awesome bluetooth wireless MIDI device and allows me use by BandHelper app to send and receive MIDI Control Commands and SYSEX as well. For example, when I swipe to go to the next song (or click the Next Page button on my KL88), the program changes for that song.

I will post a new topic with my latest crazy attempt to have the ultimate live setup.

Best Regards,
Tony Gardner

Posted : 07/10/2017 4:46 am
Bad Mister

But what’s triggering/controlling the Motif-Rack XS? πŸ™‚

Posted : 07/10/2017 1:07 pm
Tony
 Tony
Trusted Member
Topic starter

In MIDI mode, I would think that that's what the MIDI Controller (in my case, the Arturia KL88) is for. However...

With USB mode, when I hit a key, my best guess is that it sends that note to the Macbook Pro running the Motif Rack XS Editor, and then passes it through* to the Rack XS.

* Not sure if you remember that I once was dependent on having the old Yamaha Studio Manager software running in order to get sound from my Rack XS. The solution was to enable the MIDI Through option in the Editor.

Posted : 07/10/2017 6:28 pm
Tony
 Tony
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Pictures of my Ultimate Rig are finally attached!

Attached files

Posted : 09/10/2017 5:39 pm
Bad Mister

With USB mode, when I hit a key, my best guess is that it sends that note to the Macbook Pro running the Motif Rack XS Editor, and then passes it through* to the Rack XS.

If you are guessing then how am I to help you?
Perhaps you misunderstand my question, what’s on the other end of the 5-pin MIDI jacks on the back panel of the Motif-Rack XS? How is the Motif-Rack XS connected in your setup (don’t guess)?

Posted : 09/10/2017 6:38 pm
Tony
 Tony
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Sorry for the confusion. This thread was for an idea which just didn't pan out.

So as of this moment, there is nothing connected to the 5-pin MIDI jacks on the back panel of the Rack XS because I am operating exclusively in USB mode, and will most likely stay that way.

My apologies that I didn't make that more clear when I said

Seriously, I'm in my studio right now, and I've pretty much scrapped the idea!

Please close this thread.

Posted : 10/10/2017 4:04 am
Bad Mister

If you want to trigger something with the Rack XS Arpeggiator, you have to connect the MIDI Out to that device... and you must set the Rack XS to Output the Arpeggio on a specific MIDI channel

If you want to trigger the Rack XS Arpeggiator, you have to connect your controller to the MIDI in and send in Note-on events, which the Rack XS will send to the Arpeggiator and the Arpeggiator will send the phrase Out via MIDI.

It is that simple and that complex, but if nothing is connected to the Rack XS not sure how you get this to work.

Posted : 10/10/2017 12:42 pm
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us