arp play fx

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
ray
 ray
Eminent Member
Topic starter

when i record an arp to the sequencer then try to use the arp play fx nothing happens. i adjust the parameters they don't affect the arp. can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Posted : 13/03/2015 6:39 pm
Bad Mister

The "Arp Play FX" are applied in realtime as the arpeggio phrase is being generated. Once you have recorded the Arpeggio to a sequencer Track, it is no longer, technically speaking, an arpeggio... It is now MIDI EVENT data on a Track. The Arp Play FX data ceases to have realtime control and the info is now fixed data on a track which plays back as documented. There is now no difference between it and any other MIDI Event data recorded to a Track. The "Arp Play FX" will no longer apply or change the recorded data. Arp Play FX are only for Arpeggio data... And only for realtime application to Arp phrases.

Make your ARP PLAY FX adjustments prior to recording (transferring) the data to Midi Events. This allows you to try out the settings before committing to them by writing the data as Events on a Track.
Once recorded, you have a different set of tools to adjust the "feel" of the events already committed to a Track...

That said.... Regular PLAY FX
Once the data is documented to a Track as Events, you can non-destructively apply the (regular) PLAY FX. Here's how:
From the main SONG or PATTERN screen
Press [F2] PLAY FX
Here you can apply Quantize/percentage Quantize, Swing Quantize, lengthen/shorten notes, shift notes, shift timing, alter velocity. Many of the functions are the same or similar.

These PLAY FX are non-destructive... Means they are applied as 'offsets' to the written data on the Event List. You can make these offsets permanent in one of two ways:
1) place the track in Overdub Record and let it play through, the offset data will be written into the Event List and the PLAY FX settings will be "zeroed out" (returned to nominal.
2) execute the TRACK JOB called "Normalize Play Effects"
Press [JOB]
Press [F5] TRACK
Select Normalize Play Effects and select the Track.
Once you Normalize the Play FX the setup grid is "zeroed out" as you edits are now (destructively) applied. (Means the written data of the Event List is permanently changed)

This allows you to try out the settings before committing to them by writing the data as Events on a Track.

Posted : 13/03/2015 7:06 pm
ray
 ray
Eminent Member
Topic starter

thanks.

Posted : 13/03/2015 7:44 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us