Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Attempting to update firmware from USB stick -- nothing happening, and out of ideas

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi all,

My Motif XF8 is on firmware version 1.30.3. I'd like to update it.

I've downloaded firmware version 1.50 from the net, unzipped the download and put the 8K44OS_.PGM file on a blank USB stick. Actually, I've tried this with 5 different USB sticks from Sony, Toshiba, Kingston and others. In each case I format the USB stick on the XF8 prior to loading it with the 8K44OS_.PGM file.

I insert the USB stick in the keyboard, power up the XF8 while holding down the [CURSOR UP] button and the [UTILITY] button until the MOTIF XF logo appears. But nothing happens. There is no firmware updater message. The XF8 simply boots up and goes to my usual starting point in VOICE mode.

I've also tried doing the same with the 1.40 firmware version. Same result.

Apart from USB stick compatibility issues (could the XF8 really be this fussy?) is there any other known setting or issue that could be causing this problem? (Just to rule one thing out, my [CURSOR UP] and [UTILITY] buttons are functioning normally.)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Aanon

Posted : 15/01/2020 11:11 am
Bad Mister

Pick a USB stick...
Save a Motif XF file to that USB stick.
Let us know if you can successfully save a file to it.

If yes, use that USB stick.
Did you know? USB sticks come ready to use... formatting is typically not necessary.
Did you know? USB sticks with Copy Protection software will not work (you spend more for them, but they will NOT work). Copy Protection = Music prevention. Copy Protected USB sticks require a special software utility to remove it, you cannot simply format them to remove it.

Posted : 15/01/2020 3:35 pm
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister,

Thank you for your quick response.

The short answer is yes, I have used these same USB sticks in the past and had no problem writing files to them from the XF.

The longer answer is I just took one USB stick, as you suggested, formatted it again on the XF, then saved an "all voices" file to it (no problem), then took it to my computer, deleted the "all voices" file, copied on the 1.50 firmware update file, went through the steps to properly eject the USB from Windows, put it into my XF, started up with the requisite keys held down and....it worked immediately!

I don't know which of those steps caused a different outcome this time but I'm happy.

Thanks for helping me get unstuck.

Posted : 16/01/2020 12:09 am
Bad Mister

You're very welcome!

Posted : 16/01/2020 1:04 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us