Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Calculate result of the Assign Knob setting

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

In order to find the precise sweet spot of the cutoff frequency matching my playing style, I assigned the cutoff frequency for Element1 to AS1.

In Ctrl Set I have set it like this:
Assign1 : cutoff : Depth +10 : Element1

Cutoff frequency of the Element1 is set to: 151

During playing I found the sweet spot for me is when I turn AS1 to: -4

Now I want to set this 'result' cutoff frequency to the Element1. Is there any way to calculate what the exact cutoff frequency for Element1 is with these settings?

Posted : 02/08/2018 11:02 am
Bad Mister

Not that I am aware. The best way available is to use your ears... figuring out what the Cutoff Frequency is is not that difficult for musicians, it’s a matter of listening closely and translating your keyboard (left to right) into frequency values.

In the case of a LPF, you are looking for the Cutoff Frequency which is easily identified by the RESONANCE setting. By artificially increasing the Resonance value (if necessary) you are making the actual Cutoff Frequency louder. The resonant peak occurs at the Filter’s Cutoff Frequency. Play a scale across the keyboard. The resonant peak frequency will cause a note or two in the range to be much louder than their neighbors. Translating keys into frequency (in cycles per second, Hertz) is an exercise you want to practice. It will help you identify Filter Cutoff Frequency and help you in using Equalizers constructively. The “A” above middle “C” is A440... so finding frequency should be easy... as it doubles every octave you go above, and is halved every octave you go below.

Trust your ears for all things sound. Your eyes can tell you one thing but when it comes to sound learn to trust your ears, first... then teach your eyes to remember what sounds right.

When you drop down to edit the Element ... you can SOLO the Part (upper [SOLO] button) and you can SOLO the Element (lower [SOLO] button). So much of what you want to control in the sound with the filter settings is subjective... and is why I am recommending finding what you are asking about by not trying to mathematically conjure a result. You want to ‘scale’ the control over the filter so that when you move AssignKnob1 it includes the range of useful settings (musically) for what you need to accomplish. And if you are going to the Filter itself... learn to work the sound you want by directly working within the device itself.

A Filter settings can cause different results on different types of sounds... this is because they influence the balance of the harmonic content. So the same filter settings on one sound might cause a sonically different result on another. Harmonic content is the ‘how loud’ the upper harmonics are in comparison to each other... and each instrument’s harmonic content is like its fingerprint... and makes it unique.

That said, with the right external equipment to analyze frequency and output gain you could probably identify the values... and what you will discover is your eyes will still depend on your ears to “know” what’s right.

Hope that helps... I know it is probably not what you are specifically asking... but if there are charts and tables that translate the values of the settings that would allow you to calculate the result... I’m not aware of them. They provide extensive tables for the Effect processor parameter settings, but the way filters (LPF, HPF, BPF, BEF, etc.,) are generally set and shaped (‘scaled’) musically, by ear.

Posted : 08/08/2018 2:19 pm
Topic starter

Thank you for the explanation. It was not exactly what I was looking for, but it is always very instructive to read your explanation and view point. I always learn something.

I found it takes quite some time to train my ears. And certainly when I'm trying to make adjustments to the playablity or feeling of a voice. It's sometimes hard to even determine which setting to change to make it feel better. Also I noticed that after a while listening my ears get used to the sound and I can no longer trust them. When I listen back after a day I find, most of the time, I have set the voice way too bright.

But I think I found a way to find the calculate the effective values, so in case someone might be interested I would like to share it. I think the end value is correct. At least my ears seem to agree 🙂

Given:
Assign1 : cutoff : Depth +10 : Element1
Cutoff frequency of the Element1 is set to: 151
During playing I found the sweet spot for me is when I turn AS1 to: -4

Calculation:
Depth of +10 makes the range of the AS1 knob is: (255/63)*10 = +/- 40
Cutoff of 151 and the AS1 knob set to -4 makes: 151 + (40/63 * -4) = 147

Posted : 22/08/2018 1:31 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us