Clear all

Controllers

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I've been playing with using different controllers to control the common and element LFOs in a saxophone voice I'm working on. I've discovered that there seem to be two different types of controllers:

• One kind has values from 0 to 127:
    Mod Wheel, Foot Control (e.g. FC7 pedal).

• Another kind has values from -64 to +64 (maybe not 64, but from negative to positive):
    Ribbon, Assign1 knob, Assign2 knob.

Trying to get things to work was very confusing until I noticed this difference.

My question:
Is there any way to change this property of a controller? For instance, can I change the Mod Wheel's range of values to go from a negative number to a positive number?

Posted : 22/01/2015 3:26 am
Bad Mister

No, the nature of physical controllers, in general should match the the parameter you are controller. Further observations will have you discover that certain parameters are best suited for particular controllers.

If you assign Volume to an Assignable Knob, where zero is at twelve o'clock, then Maximum (127) will be at 5 oclock. Turning the Knob counterclockwise from 12 o'clock cannot make the volume less than zero. There is no volume less than zero. So the knob will appear to work only clockwise from the 12 o'clock position.

This is what is referred to as a poor choice for the volume parameter. It's not that you could not assign it there, but do so knowing that all the values from 7 o'clock to 12 o'clock are still volume = 0 because the concept of volume less than zero is illogical. A "better" choice would be to match a parameter that has a range of 0-127 to a controller that actually sends 0-127

This cannot (should not) be confusing, as when you shine a light on it, it is logical. Avoid the conundrum of this mismatch whenever possible, and if you do decide to proceed with the assignment, do so knowing the consequence.

Assigning Coarse Tuning (pitch control) to a Foot pedal or MW that can only send minimum-to-maximum 0-127, will only allow you to tune in one direction. Make sense? A better choice, particularly if you want to control tuning in both directions, would be to choice a physical controller capable of sending -64 ~ 0 ~ +63. The Ribbon or AS1/2 is a better choice, is all.

Posted : 23/01/2015 12:58 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us