Notifications
Clear all

FC5 Vs FC7 as Midi channel Volume Controller

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member
Topic starter

BM you suggested using the FC7 as an Expression Pedal to control Midi Channel volume for my Ivory Piano. I understand this the FC7 pedal can be used to gradually increase or reduce volume. My question is can the FC5 be used as an on/off switch for the same Midi channel volume? If so do I set it to CC#007?

Posted : 02/03/2015 8:12 pm
Bad Mister

Joseph wrote:

BM you suggested using the FC7 as an Expression Pedal to control Midi Channel volume for my Ivory Piano. I understand this the FC7 pedal can be used to gradually increase or reduce volume. My question is can the FC5 be used as an on/off switch for the same Midi channel volume? If so do I set it to CC#007?

The FC5 is not a voltage control pedal but a Foot Switch and cannot be used in place of the FC7 pedal. The FC5 is a T-S (Tip-Sleeve) momentary switch designed for use as a switch that is 127 when activated and 0 when released. The FC7 is a TRS (Tip-Ring-Sleeve) sweep pedal that is responsible from sending continuous values between 0 and 127.

These are not interchangeable at all.

This has nothing to do with the FC5 being able to control Volume. It can control internal volume. It cannot control Channel Volume. Here's what I mean.
You cannot assign the Assignable Foot Switch to send cc007 - that is not possible.
You can assign the Assignable Foot Switch which defaults to cc088 to control internal VOLUME of a VOICE within its Control Set. Within the Voice's Control Set you can select any of 101 Destination parameters including VOICE VOLUME and ELEMENT LEVEL (Voice Volume controls the entire Voice, while Element Level is assignable per Element within the Voice).

You do not specify whether you are working with internal or external devices. Let us know. There are many options for assigning and controlling Volume (Voice Volume, Part Volume, Element Level, etc., etc.).

Please see the recent article on Motif XF: Physical Controllers and Destination Parameters

Posted : 02/03/2015 11:39 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks

I am trying to control the volume of an external voice on my imac via firewire.
I was not expecting the Fc5 to function like the Fc7. I understand the Fc5 is an on/off and thought I might be able to use it to turn on the external voice and turn it off as well.

However as you mentioned the Fc5 can not do this with an external voice.

Can the Fc5 connected to the Motif be a sustain pedal for an external piano voice?

Posted : 03/03/2015 12:08 am
Bad Mister

Can the Fc5 connected to the Motif be a sustain pedal for an external piano voice?

The Motif XF has a dedicated Sustain Pedal jack, it accepts a Yamaha FC3/4/5 (or any momentary switch) plug the FC5 into that jack and it is automatically a sustain pedal for all devices, internal and external. If you plug the FC5 into the Assignable Foot Switch jack and set the FS = cc064 it will also act as a sustain pedal for both internal and external devices on the selected Transmit channel.

What you can do when controlling both internal and external devices is explore the Motif XF's extensive MASTER Mode functions designed for exactly this purpose. You can devfine eight ZONES - some can be external some internal some both... You can select which ZONES are active and which controllers are active in that ZONE. This is usually the most elegant way to deal with setting up to have some controllers affect internal PARTS and other controllers just effecting external devices.

MASTER MODE. See the Resources area here on Yamaha Synth!

Posted : 03/03/2015 1:08 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us