FW issue

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Rich
 Rich
Eminent Member
Topic starter

First of all, after 5 yrs with XF, I finally got a PC with FW port, so I purchased the FW expansion card. I was able to successfully connect with FL Studio DAW and have been recording 10-12 audio tracks without issue.

I'm using a Windows 10 PC.

Now, the only "bug" is an occasional "failed to initialize" screen when I either restart the PC, or come out of sleep mode. I've been turning the PC and Motif on at the same time and it works 50% of the time. Today, however, even after rebooting, I still get the error box. I checked connections and also removed and reinstalled the FW driver (64 bit.....the 32 bit will not load at all).

I tried rebooting pc with motif powered on and FW all plugged in.........still getting message.

appreciate any suggestions.

Posted : 15/06/2016 9:22 pm
Bad Mister

appreciate any suggestions

When setting up your computer (a device not specifically designed to do audio/MIDI recording) it is highly recommended that you never let it sleep or hibernate while you are step up for recording. A computer is designed and wants to work, and may attempt to revert to its own drivers. Audio and MIDI recording require you turn certain functions over to the low latency drivers which allow it to do audio and MIDI recording. After going to sleep, may not attempt to restore the drivers you were using, its still sleepy, drunk and disoriented... so to speak, and will often lose its bearings. I don't really do computer support, but have learned in thirty years of working computers (and people who make them), that you must follow certain steps to get good consistent results from computers.

There are many articles written on setting up and streamlining your computer for audio and MIDI recording, and all of them will tell you to turn off sleep and hibernation of any kind when setting up for audio and MIDI recording. Many suggest you turn off all automatic searches for updates, or any kind of housekeeping duties. You want as much of the computer's FULL attention as you can get. You don't want your computer searching for updates when to stop to rewind. It will use any idle time to do housekeeping chores - to the detriment of your music!

Over the years I've troubleshot many a system, most issues are brought about by not being diligent about focusing the computer's attention on the singular task at hand, Recording your music.

Search for one of those articles on preparing your computer for studio work, you'll be amazed at how all these type of troublesome issues stop when you turn all the junk off that the computer winds up doing while you've paused the transport. SLEEP and HIBERNATE are two very big no-no's.

Make sure your gear is powered on and connected when launch the computer and its software. The order of turning things on, does matter.

Posted : 16/06/2016 2:24 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us