Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

FW16e / Windows 10 integration help, please.

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

My synth is the MotifXF6, with installed FW16e - and I would LOVE to get it integrated with my DAW. Actually, I have Reaper, as well as Cubase 5. A couple of years back I had battled long and hard over my aim to reach such a point of integration, but never did find any success in doing so. As mentioned, back at that time, I use the MotifXF's sequencer to build my songs. But I would love to get my tracks into my DAW for the final mixing & mastering stages. I understand that the audio could be recorded into the DAW - one track at a time - quite easily. But I would like to learn the process of being able to record ALL audio tracks at the SAME time, onto separate tracks in my DAW.

I no longer have my desktop, and just recently received my (ordered) special FireWire cable for my Sony Vaio i7 laptop (now with Windows 10). Some clearly outlined instruction, which would enable me to make some A-Z headway, would be just what I would need. I would also be so immensely appreciative toward anyone who could help me to be successful within my endeavor.

Advanced thanks,
Nathan

Posted : 19/01/2016 8:12 am
Bad Mister

Welcome to YamahaSynth!

The FW16E will give access to stereo plus fourteen assignable outputs via FireWire to your DAW, plus MIDI communication. Internal Parts and the A/D Input can be routed to your DAW as you require to accomplish your audio recording. The XF can also act as a MIDI interface for one additional device via its 5-pin MIDI ports.

You will need to check if your selected software (DAW) will run in your currently selected (Windows10) operating system. I try to stay up with what versions run with what but cannot remember all possibilities.

As you update your computer operating system, you may in fact be obsoleting some of your older software. That is very much a part of your responsibility when seeking to run software as it gets older and older. New operating system eventually obsolete older software versions. Once your OS is four, five or six years out front if your software, you need to check about compatibility issues.

You can contact Steinberg through your MySteinberg Account - they will immediately be able to tell you what if any issues are known between Cubase series 5 (2010) and the current Windows 10. If necessary, you may need to upgrade to a more recent version of Cubase (ask about your upgrade discount).

Cubase's MEDIA BAY and Sound Browser allow you to integrate your Motif XF so that you can store all your Voice Libraries on your computer for instant access to all your collected sounds. The XF can act as a Remote Control surface for Cubase and will store all your setups automatically as a part of the Cubase Project file.

A general setup guide is found here:
Motif XF Yamaha Steinberg FW Setup for Windows /Cubase

I do not know about Reaper, sorry.

Posted : 19/01/2016 3:28 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Bad Mister,

I thank you, immensely, for your input on this matter. I also apologize for the delay in rendering thanks, but have been dealing with some deep basement/sewer issues.

You have gotten me much closer than I have ever been, within the regards of reaching how I want to work - with my MotifXF and computer. I now seem to have my XF fully integrated with my laptop (Cubase 5.1.1), and it is just a matter of my learning the routing assignments. That, is all very new to me.

Posted : 04/02/2016 4:06 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us