Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Hi Folks: I am trying to configure my Motif Rack XS with a FW16E board. I previously was able to see the board in the control pannel under device manager but since I switched the MIDI to mLan and the driver to "FW", the board no longer shows up in the device manager. Has something happened to the FW16E board? Is there a hard reset I can try? I did execute the factory reset but, no joy. Would it help to reflash the firmware? Thanks all over the place gang.

33 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Jim
Topic starter

Posted : 09/06/2015 4:06 pm
Bad Mister

Welcome to YamahaSynth, Jim!

Seeing it in the Device Manager? Let's back up a few steps and establish what you are attempting to do. For help with any computer related issue we should start with which computer and which operating system you are running.

You should not have to look into the DEVICE MANAGER unless troubleshooting ... You can install the appropriate Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver for your computer operating system, go directly to the software you are attempting to use. If installed correctly, you will be able to simply configure the software application.

No need to "reflash the firmware"... Nothing indicates that this is necessary (yet).
A Factory Reset will not help in setting up the Motif-Rack XS; this is because the Factory Set resets the unit to the condition of a Rack XS when it left the factory which does not include the FW16E. So you will manually need to set "MIDI IN/OUT = mLAN" and the "IEEE1394 Driver = FW"

Please provide us with the following information:
Type of computer and OS: example Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, etc.
Version of Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver installed
What software application are you attempting to use with your Rack XS
Also what type of MIDI controller you are using with the Rack XS, and how you are connecting it in your setup.

With that info we can help get up and running quickly enough, promise.

Posted : 09/06/2015 10:30 pm
 Jim
Topic starter

Hello Bad Mister: Ok! Let me run down the whole thing here. First off, I have the Rack XS settings as you stated. I am running Windows 7 (64 bit) with an Intel processer and an Intel motherboard. I have the 1.04 firmware installed on the Rack XS. I mention the device manager because, previous to assigning the two necessary settings, I was able to see the FW16e in the device manager. I use the term "see" but, actually, I am a Blind computer operator but I've verified the settings with help from some sightlings. I am hoping to access the parameters of the Rack XS via John Mellas Editor/Librarian program; which is awesome. Using the USB connection, I have 100% access to the XS parameters using a screen reader along with John Mellas' program. Later on, I hope to use the Synth either in Reaper or Sonar X3 but for now, I just want to play with the parameters via the FW16e. I have installed the driver from the Win_FW_V16X64 zipped file with no installation problems. When I run the Yamaha Steinberg FW driver, I can only detect the "General" and "About" tabs. Well, that's about it. If you can help, I would appreciate it all over the place.

Posted : 10/06/2015 6:51 pm
Bad Mister

I have installed the driver from the Win_FW_V16X64 zipped file with no installation problems. When I run the Yamaha Steinberg FW driver, I can only detect the "General" and "About" tabs.

This is a problem - it means that your Driver cannot locate the Motif-Rack XS and communication is not taking place via the FW cable.

You mention, "Using the USB connection, I have 100% access to the XS parameters..."
But you stop short of mentioning a FireWire connection between the Rack XS and computer. Perhaps it is just that you did not mention it and you were referring to a previous USB connection. You need to disconnect that USB cable and establish a FireWire connection between the FW16e and the computer. FW will take care of both MIDI and Audio. Sorry if this is repeating something you already know and have done, but it pays to be sure we are on the same page about this working FW connection.

If you already have that FW connection - we then need to troubleshoot why you are not getting communication between the computer and the Motif-Rack XS. We need go no further until we get the Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver control panel showing all three tabs: "General", "Motif-Rack XS" and "About".

You also mentioned: "I mention the device manager because, previous to assigning the two necessary settings, I was able to see the FW16e in the device manager."
I assume the two settings you are talking about setting the Motif-Rack XS to
1) MIDI IN/OUT = mLAN
2) IEEE1394 Driver = FW

Please verify that these settings did not revert back to previous conditions. In order to make these settings stay you must STORE the MIDI IN/OUT = mLAN. And you must STORE and then REBOOT the Motif-Rack XS, after changing the "IEEE1394 Driver = FW" setting. If you do not, it will revert back to "mLAN" and not "FW".

If you see the Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver icon in the Windows 7 CONTROL PANEL - this is a clear indication that the Driver was successfully installed on your computer.
The next step is to establish that working FW connection to computer. Nothing wrong so far with the FW16e or the Motif-Rack XS that we can tell.

What type of FireWire card does your computer use?

If you previously had the Device Manager showing the Yamaha Steinberg FW devices under SOUND, VIDEO and GAME CONTROLLERS, and they do not appear now - that is strange. Until that third panel appears in the Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver Control Panel, nothing will work.

Do you recall what appeared in the Device Manager listing when you say the FW16e appeared?
What appears under SOUND, VIDEO and GAME CONTROLLERS now?

Verify that the connection is secure.

Let us know.

Posted : 11/06/2015 12:01 am
 Jim
Topic starter

Hello again: Thanks all over the place for taking the time and effort to try and help me. I mentioned the USB connection and John Mellas editor/librarian only to point out that I am trying to gain the same access via the FW16e card. The USB cable is indeed disconnected. I can't remember the name of my FireWire card but I know that it has a TI chipset. One interesting point is that, if the Rack XS is connected and turned onn while booting the computer, the Steinberg driver will not load. As soon as I turn the synth off, the driver does load and one can access the driver control panel. I know that the card is working because I can connect to my Mackie Onyx firewire mixer. I did verify, with sighted assistance, that to two appropriate settings are correct. If I turn on the Rack XS after boot-up, I here no connection sound and neither does the FW16e show up in the device manager. Is there some way to reflash the FW16e itself? Again, thanks all over the place.

Posted : 11/06/2015 11:10 am
Bad Mister

I mentioned the USB connection and John Mellas editor/librarian only to point out that I am trying to gain the same access via the FW16e card. The USB cable is indeed disconnected.

Okay, great. That's what I thought.

One interesting point is that, if the Rack XS is connected and turned onn while booting the computer, the Steinberg driver will not load. As soon as I turn the synth off, the driver does load and one can access the driver control panel.

Very interesting. What I need you to do is in that DEVICE MANAGER - there should be several Yamaha Devices listed under SOUND, VIDEO and GAME CONTROLLERS

"Yamaha Steinberg FW Bus" _ this should appear whether or not the Motif-Rack XS is connected.

When you plug the FW cable into the FW16e on your Motif-Rack XS, the DEVICE MANAGER should take a second or two and add the following three items to the list:

"Yamaha FW16e"
"Yamaha Steingberg FW WDM Audio Bus"
"Yamaha Steinberg FW WDM MIDI Bus"

I know that the card is working because I can connect to my Mackie Onyx firewire mixer.

Okay, that's a new wildcard in the deck. Are you connecting to that device as well on this same FW card simultaneously? If yes, please, at least while troubleshooting your Yamaha Steinberg FW connection, avoid doing so. Perhaps it is grabbing the port and causing a conflict. If you can temporarily eliminate this wildcard that might help. Is it listed in the DEVICE MANAGER at the same time?

The Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver can act as your computers soundcard - if you have another device attempting to do the same thing, this might be the source of the conflict. Plugging and unplugging your FW cable to a device that uses the Yamaha Steinberg FW driver should cause no problems - the driver is designed to allow devices to be "hot wired" (this means it is not necessary to power down all devices to add something to the Audio bus. This is one of the very nifty things about the Yamaha Steinberg driver, you don't have to stop the show to add a new audio device). Do not try this with your Mackie's driver (it may not have this feature).

Anyway, try this experiment with your Motif-Rack XS and report back. Here is what I'm asking for:

1) Does the "Yamaha Steinberg FW Bus" appear on your DEVICE MANAGER list under the SOUND, VIDEO and GAME CONTROLLERS section?
2) When you plug the FW cable in, do the additional devices appear? If not what, if any thing, disappears?

Does the wildcard's (mixer's) Driver appear in this list? If so, what is it called?

Thanks, let us know.

Posted : 11/06/2015 2:27 pm
 Jim
Topic starter

Hi again Bad Mister: the "Yamaha FW16e"
"Yamaha Steinberg FW WDM MIDI Bus" does not load. I am only using the RackXS on the firewire card at this time. All other FW devices are disconnected. The "Yamaha Steinberg FW Bus" does show up. Thanks all over the place.

Posted : 11/06/2015 3:38 pm
 Jim
Topic starter

Hi again Bad Mister: can you think of any other setting I might have turned off by mistake?

Posted : 11/06/2015 3:43 pm
Bad Mister

Hi again Bad Mister: the "Yamaha FW16e"
"Yamaha Steinberg FW WDM MIDI Bus" does not load. I am only using the RackXS on the firewire card at this time. All other FW devices are disconnected. The "Yamaha Steinberg FW Bus" does show up. Thanks all over the place.

To be clear, the "Yamaha Steinberg FW Bus" appears at all times, correct? We are baffled by your statement that turning off the Rack XS the driver loads. Could you please clarify what this means.

What is the name of the Mackie driver and does it appear on the SOUND, VIDEO and GAME CONTROLLER list?

Posted : 11/06/2015 4:38 pm
 Jim
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister: What I am saying is that, when my computer is shut down, and I turn my Rack XS on, and reboot my computer, the "Yamaha Steinberg FW Bus" driver will not load; it is not found in the Sound, video and game controllers section. If, however, I then turn my XS off, the driver immediately loads and is visible. Below is a copy of my Sound, video and game controllers window:

Sound, video and game controllers Opened
Bome’s Virtual MIDI Port Device
Bome’s Virtual MIDI Port Device
Intel(R) Display Audio
M-Audio Delta 66
nerds.de LoopBe30 - Internal Midi Ports (WDM)
Realtek High Definition Audio
USB Audio CODEC
Yamaha Steinberg FW Bus
System devices Closed

Thanks.

Posted : 11/06/2015 6:18 pm
 Jim
Topic starter

BTW: the last information was sent with the RACK XS connected and turned on.

Again, thanks all over the place.

Posted : 11/06/2015 6:26 pm
Bad Mister

I'm not sure why what you wrote is not contradicting itself.

Let me ask it as simply as I can....

Go to DEVICE MANAGER
With the Motif-Rack XS disconnected
Does Yamaha Steinberg FW Bus appear on the list?
Yes or no?

While still viewing the SOUND, VIDEO and GAME CONTROLLER screen, connect the Motif-Rack XS.
Does Yamaha Steinberg FW Bus appear on the list?
Yes or no?

Posted : 11/06/2015 7:13 pm
 Jim
Topic starter

Yes.

Posted : 11/06/2015 7:29 pm
Bad Mister

Is that a yes to both questions?

Posted : 11/06/2015 7:41 pm
 Jim
Topic starter

Hello:

Sorry about that:

"yes" to both questions.

Posted : 11/06/2015 7:58 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us