Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Horrible sounds coming from XF8

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

The band boosters for our local HS band bought an XF8 about 2.5 years ago. The first year, things worked great (used for indoor drumline). It was not used, again, until the following indoor drumline season this year. The synth made some really bad noises when the keys were pressed. Sometimes it would play the selected note, but most of the time it would make additional noises. The noises are hard to describe, but a youtube poster captured the same noise on his XF6. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsXMRv56yII. You can hear the sounds at the at about the 40 second mark of the video.

We sent it for repair and thought things were fixed until attempting to use it for this fall's marching show. The exact same problem manifested itself. Here's a peculiar thing that happened tonight, though. While in the band room, trying to troubleshoot things, I left in a loop so it played the same thing over and over again with it making the horrible noises. While looking for things on the web for a solution, I turned the master volume down because it was irritating to listen to. After spending about 15 minutes in the search and finding no solution, I gave up. Before turning the synth off. I moved the master-volume fader up and it played perfectly -- no problems, at all. Suggestions on the next step? I should add that the sound is present even when using another amp and instrument cord and I reset the synth to the factory settings.

Posted : 03/09/2015 2:24 am
Bad Mister

Adrian,
Welcome to Yamaha Synth!

It is almost impossible to diagnose any issue from this distance, and although you say you have the same issue as the guy in that video, it is simply not enough information to guess the problem. What is the situation with electricity where you live (stable? Unstable?) where do you live? Searching the Internet for a solution will not likely help, if you don't know the cause. It is not typical, nor normal for the instrument to make noises.

First, to determine if the noises are the fault of the XF or your cabling and sound system, please test the instrument with headphones. Let us know.

Posted : 03/09/2015 9:53 am
Topic starter

Thank you for your response. The electrical source is stable. We are in the DC suburbs. I swapped out amps and cables and I used headphones in my trouble shooting steps. The problem is present, regardless. I didn't check to see if the firmware needs upgrading, though the release notes of the firmware don't imply a solution. As part of a thorough trouble-shooting process I plan to upgrade the synth to the latest firmware.

Posted : 05/09/2015 5:55 am
Bad Mister

Yes, you should update your Operating System (although what you describe is not a problem that will be solved by updating an operating system version) If you are in the DC suburbs - take it to an authorized Yamaha Service Center. The Motif XF8 does not normally make the "horrible sounds" you are describing and there is no update to fix "horrible sounds" syndrome - it sounds like you have cracked a component and it is worth getting it professionally checked out.

If you need to find an Authorized Service Center you can use your ZIP CODE in the Service Locator
You want to search for MUSIC PRODUCTION TOOLS > SYNTHESIZER...

Or you can call Customer Support 714.522.9000 between 8:30am-5:00pm PDT - they can tell you where you can have it serviced.

Posted : 05/09/2015 9:01 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us