Clear all

How to create a new waveform out of multiple VOICEs

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 A
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi and happy holidays and thanksgiving to everyone. I have a question and I don't know if it's doable in MOTIF XF.

I'm working on a song which has 7 string as follows:

2 violins (1&2)
2 strings waveform type 1 (1&2)
2 strings waveform type 2 (1&2)
1 cello

Here is a part of the draft version (because I'm sure most of the times I can't explain myself properly and btw my apologies if it is not good, I'm amateur and still learning):

My song with string sections

I'm talking about the string sections that you hear in the song. I created them as I've explained above, and as you may have guessed the polyphony is an issue for my live performance (I may want to change the pitch or speed and or add/remove instruments, therefore recording a wave file of the song is not an option). If I play piano or any other instrument, or sustain pedal it'll kill the string section which is not acceptable. Piano at the moment is not an issue because I do have a DP. But for other instruments is an issue.

What I want to do is somehow create a new waveform from VOICEs string 1&2, cello and violin 1 and create a new one single voice using this newly created waveform(s). Is there any automation available in MOTIF to create the necessary waveforms so that I can create a single VOICE representing these 4 VOICEs?

Posted : 25/11/2016 6:16 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry, I can't follow what you are asking (maybe too much turkey) ... you seem to know committing to audio is the solution but refuse to commit. What is "DP"? Is that another keyboard? If you run out of polyphony and have another keyboard, that a solution.

You could try building your sounds more efficiently. So that they do not use so much polyphony. For example, there are usually versions of the string Voice that are more efficient polyphony-wise. You give us really nothing to work with... the Voices have names, providing those names would allow some one offering support to help you with the polyphony issue.

I say you best solution is commit to your string backing (stopping thinking you going to want to change the pitch or speed) if you were making a recording for commercial release, at some point you would have to COMMIT to one mix.

When you finally commit your strings will use a single note-on event!

Posted : 26/11/2016 12:13 am
 A
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the reply Phill!
Yes DP is digital piano so I play my piano sound separately but there are other VOICEs that I need to add later.

I don't like the idea of recording things into audio and playing them back. It's very inflexible and is not designed for a live performance. You want to turn me into a DJ Phil right 😀

My VOICEs and PATTERNs are (almost) as efficient as they can be. At medium velocity I only have 1 waveform for every VOICE unless it requires staccato. I've chosen the waveforms based on their sonic features. For example I don't want to change a stereo waveform to a mono waveform as it will sound different (specially with the string sections). And all other solutions will create thin or weak strings. I want it to sound BIG :p

For a hardware with polyphonic limits this seems an extremely handy feature to construct big voices 🙁 I wish there is some sort of automation.

Posted : 27/11/2016 6:18 pm
Bad Mister

No one is suggesting you swap mono for stereo Waveforms (me, I'm stereo always). I'm suggesting things like: rather than layering stereo violins with stereo violas with stereo cellos and stereo basses which would use 8 notes of polyphony per note played, use the Stereo Waveform that is the full string orchestra sampled at once. It uses just 2 notes of polyphony per note played. And sounds just as BIG! 🙂

Learn to use effects to double the size of your ensemble, a very, very short delay (single repeat) can create the illusion of increasing the size of the ensemble - costing you nothing in terms of polyphony.

And turn you into a DJ (heaven forbid!!!). Have you been to any concerts lately, portions of what you hear are audio files filling in parts... every thing from backing vocals to strings and horns. You have to decide what works for you, but running out of polyphony with today's gear is (IMHO) simply poor management of resources.

I got to see Duke Ellington's 17 piece big band when I was a young teen, what a big sound! If everyone in the band played all the notes they could - all at once they'd couldn't play 32 (I remind myself of this when working with my gear - keeps me humble). 🙂

Posted : 28/11/2016 1:12 am
 A
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the hints Phil. I have some short reverb and a slight chorus on it but never thought about the short delay. I'll give it a try!

And I guess I failed again 😀 There is room for more instruments but let's say If I play piano (or epiano) the sustain will kill the string section... In terms of VOICE creation I'm very picky :p I want the new VOICE to sound exactly the same as the one I created with 4 VOICEs!

I'm not sure about this though:

but running out of polyphony with today's gear is (IMHO) simply poor management of resources.

I guess we are looking at it from different angles. My question is not about just get the job done, it's about to get it done perfect like no one else 🙂

Posted : 28/11/2016 4:51 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us