Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How to let MOTIF XF play the notes that are written externally?

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Good day everyone!

I'm a happy user of Motif XF7.
Could you please give me an advice how to let my Motif play notes by its high quality voices?
So I am trying to turn MOTIF into sequencer. What is the best and comfortable cable/software/way? Mostly I'm about drums writing and recording. The other instruments could be recorded in a regular way.

I write in Guitar Pro, DAW is Adobe Audition.

Your comprehensive answer is so appreciated!

Best wishes
Alexander

Posted : 14/07/2020 1:35 pm

To clarify your question: do you want to create the MIDI arrangement on your computer and use the Motif XF merely as a sound source? Or do you want to use the Motif XF as a sequencer and a sound source? Both are possible.

Posted : 15/07/2020 1:10 am
Topic starter

Dear Michael, hi

Sorry for confusing. Yes, you are right with your 1st option: I am trying to somehow use Motif as a sound source by playing arrangement in MIDI/ Guitar Pro/ Other unified note format.

Concerning your 2nd option (as I understood, please correct me) it can be done by using Pattern Mode on Motif. Actually I use this way for now. However it is not so convenient because: small screen of XF, chart interpretation instead of notes, etc.

Thank you so much.

Posted : 15/07/2020 6:56 am

Ok, I'll offer a quick response starting at the very basic level. Not instructions; just a general overview.

If you have MIDI track(s) already in your DAW, you will need to send the MIDI from the track(s) out of the computer to your XF7.

You can connect your computer and XF7 by USB or by MIDI cable. Which do you prefer?

Once you have things set up properly, the DAW will be sending a MIDI data to the XF7, then the XF7 will produce audio, then you will probably want to route the audio signal into your DAW so that you can hear and record it.

There are many specific details to cover but I just wanted to give you the big picture first.

Bad Mister is excellent as a details guy!

Posted : 15/07/2020 8:37 am
Topic starter

Thank you so much! I will try as soon as I finalize the composition.

Which DAW do you recommed as the most suitable for this task, please?

With the best
Alexander

Posted : 15/07/2020 12:29 pm

There are many different DAWs and many of them can handle MIDI very well. Using an external sound source (such as your Motif XF) with a DAW is a common task.

Maybe you can choose a DAW used by other people you know, in order to have direct help when you are getting setup and learning?

Another consideration is that Yamaha has an association with Cubase, with the result that you are likely to find more specific information and support for using your Motif XF with Cubase than with other DAWs.

Posted : 15/07/2020 1:18 pm
Topic starter

Thank you, dear Michael! Clear.

With the very best
Alexander

Posted : 16/07/2020 8:34 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us