Notifications
Clear all

how to make Glissando effect that sounds like all notes are being played

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Phil
Topic starter

Can someone please tell me how to make a glissando effect--but rather than every single tone (a true glissando) sounding, it sounds as if someone is simply playing all the notes in between one tone and the next tone, but extremely quickly--faster than someone could play them.

I'm sorry for not being able to describe this very well, but I just heard the effect I'm interested in on an EasySounds demo of Phat Analog--entitled "Venus Overture" at about 48 seconds you can hear the effect I'm referring to.

The effect is a glissando from low on the keyboard to high on the keyboard but each individual tone sounds rather than a true glissando. Then they do a glissando from high to low.

How did they do that? It certainly wasn't played live.

Thanks for any help.

Phil

Posted : 18/12/2014 6:03 pm
Bad Mister

Welcome to Yamaha Synth.

I believe it was played in real time. If you cannot play this as fast, remember with MIDI you can always slow the tempo down to record exactly what you want and then speed it up on playback (no one will know).
🙂
Or you can have the Motif XF create the data for you using the "Create Continuous Data" Sequencer JOB function... here's how:

Say you want to create a run that goes across two octaves...

Call up the SONG or PATTERN you are working on
Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]
Select the PART [1]-[16] in question
Press [F1] VOICE
Press [SF3] OTHER
Set the PB Range = +12/-12 (that will give us our two octaves), if you set it to +24/-24 you will have a four octave run, and so on.

Press [SONG] or [PATTERN] whichever you are using
Record a single NOTE-ON event at the measure location you wish this effect to begin - hold the note for the duration (Gate Time) that is appropriate for the run to occur. (Very important).

Press [JOB]
Press [F3] EVENT
Select JOB 05: "Create Continuous Data"

Set the Measure/Beat/Clock range over which you want this to occur. For example, if you want the run to last one full measure 001:1:000 ~ 002:1:000 would be one full measure;
001:1:000 ~ 003:1:000 would be two full measures, and so on.
Set the dialog box as follows:

EVENT TYPE = Pitch Bend
DATA RANGE = -8192 ~ +8191
CLOCK = 060 (that's a musical 32nd note... fairly fast)
CURVE = +0
Number of Times = x01
Press [ENTER] to execute

CLOCK - this is how often it inserts events.
CURVE - if negative values are applied it will start slow and speed up as it goes, if set to positive values it will start fast and slow down.

Experiment with the parameter to get what you desire. Depending on your tempo it will either sound like individual pitches rapidly played in succession or a smooth glissando (it depends on the tempo) ... but you should be able to make this work with some experimentation.

Hint: When you press [JOB], you will find at [F1] UNDO/REDO - pressing this allows you to UNDO the last edit you made (the most recent edit), so if your first setting is not to your liking - from the JOB screen press [F1] UNDO... This will allow you to reset the dialog box and try a different setting. This also toggles the function to [F1] REDO, allowing you to compare between your original and your edit.

Posted : 18/12/2014 9:12 pm
 Bart

To make a GLISSANDO effect (where each semi-tone is played like a piano player hitting every key (black and white) up or down (which is a chromatic scale), one has to look at vintage synthesizers like the Yamaha DX-7. I got rid of this keyboard but will buy another one so I can make the glissando effect. Note this is different that portamento which is a smooth gliding effect like a police siren.

GLISSANDO effects can be heard on:

Debbie Gibson's - Out of the Blue
Glissando with short decay/staccato type sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D80VtTDOk0g
(at 1:24-1:25 into the video).

Carle Rae Jepsen's - Call Me Maybe
Glissando with long decay/legato sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWNaR-rxAic
(at 2:24-2:25 into the video)

It's a really nice effect. Not many people use it. Probably because they do not know how to.

True, you can program this in a MIDI sequencer playing to a very slow tempo/metronome or step input each note. Then speed up the tempo. You would play each note up or down the scale (chromatic - playing every single note).

But the easiest way which also allows to you experiment and find the best note to start and end on is to take a hardware vintage synth like the DX-7 and use the GLISSANDO effect. Yes, there is a simple button on the synthesizer that enables GLISSANDO notes. You can control the speed/rate of the GLISSANDO notes so you can sync the start/stop of the GLISSANDO notes with other notes in your track. For example, you might want to start the GLISSANDO on the 3rd beat of a measure just before a verse. Maybe it would come on the 3rd beat of a chorus. Then you end it the GLISSANDO just before the beginning of the verse following the chorus. It's a nice transition. You can hear this on Debbi Gibson's 'Without You'.

It's that simple. You can add digital delay to get really cool effects.

Plug-In Synthesizer with GLISSANDO

Arturia Yamaha CS-80V3
(This is probably the most affordable way - stand alone and DAW capable.)

Hardware Synthesizers with GLISSANDO:

Yamaha DX-7
Roland Jupiter-6
Black Corporation Deckard's Dream (clone of the Yamaha CS-80)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNf0kpidGc4
(at 25:40-25:50 into the video)

From a DX-7 website: http://www.chipple.net/dx7/english/function.mode.html

PORTAMENTO

The portamento effect varies according to whether the DX7 is in the polyphonic or monophonic mode.

MONOPHONIC MODE:
In this mode press the DATA ENTRY -1 key to activate "FINGERED PORTA." In this mode portamento is applied only to legato notes.
Press the DATA ENTRY +1 key to activate "FULL TIME PORTA." In this mode portamento is always applied.

POLYPHONIC MODE:
Press the DATA ENTRY -1 key to activate "SUS-KEY P RETAIN." In this mode the pitch of keys released while sustain pedal is on or off notes that have a long sustain time does not change. However, portamento is effected between two subsequently pressed keys.
Press the DATA ENTRY +1 key to activate "SUS-KEY P FOLLOW." In this mode the pitch of a key released while the sustain pedal is held slides (portamento) to a previously pressed key. There is no change with continuously pressed keys.

GLISSANDO:
The glissando function is turned either ON or OFF. When it is OFF a normal portamento effect is produced.

TIME:
Adjusts the speed of the portamento/glissando effect from 0 to 99. A 0 setting results in no effect, while a setting of 99 produces the longest (slowest) portamento or glissando.

Posted : 06/07/2016 11:07 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us