Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Integrating Logic Pro X

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Currently I'm sequencing using my Motif XF7. I want to move towards sequencing in Logic Pro X. I've been getting familiar with all the features of Logic but I'm unclear how to integrate the "sounds" from my Motif into Logic. I noticed Logic allows me to use an external MIDI device, program MIDI data, and edit that data using the piano roll or any other editing tool. However, from what I can tell the only way to use Motif's sound that comes from the keyboard is to sequence the MIDI data for one track and then record the sounds coming from the Motif, using the midi data previously recorded, as an "audio" wave. I prefer not to do this because that makes that "audio" track's editing limited. Is their a way to use the Yamaha FW16E or any other device to connect directly to my computer to interact with my DAW to program MIDI and audio on one track and still have the same editing capabilities I might have if I used an internal software instrument in Logic?

Posted : 11/03/2016 3:29 am
Bad Mister

Steven wrote:

Currently I'm sequencing using my Motif XF7. I want to move towards sequencing in Logic Pro X. I've been getting familiar with all the features of Logic but I'm unclear how to integrate the "sounds" from my Motif into Logic. I noticed Logic allows me to use an external MIDI device, program MIDI data, and edit that data using the piano roll or any other editing tool. However, from what I can tell the only way to use Motif's sound that comes from the keyboard is to sequence the MIDI data for one track and then record the sounds coming from the Motif, using the midi data previously recorded, as an "audio" wave. I prefer not to do this because that makes that "audio" track's editing limited. Is their a way to use the Yamaha FW16E or any other device to connect directly to my computer to interact with my DAW to program MIDI and audio on one track and still have the same editing capabilities I might have if I used an internal software instrument in Logic?

Hi Steven,
Welcome to Yamaha Synth. We will need to first straighten out some misconceptions you have about workflow with your Motif XF and a computer DAW (be it Logic Pro or Cubase).

"...using the midi data previously recorded, as an "audio" wave." MIDI can never be used as an audio wave. MIDI data has never been heard, and cannot be interpreted by your ear/brain. MIDI does not make sound, and cannot be recorded as an audio wave. We think we know what you are trying to say, but what you say you "prefer not to do"... IS EXACTLY what you should do! I'll explain.

MIDI data is a series of coded messages that when played back to the synth tone generator are interpreted and turned into audio (sound). MIDI data itself is not sound, any more than the score notation of a song is sound. The notes on staff must be reinterpreted to be turned back into music -sound - audio.

Midi data is like a Player Piano's roll of paper with holes punched in it. You need to play that roll back in an appropriate Player Piano to turn it back into sound (a performance). The only reason to record your performance as MIDI data, is so you can "change your mind".

"Change your mind" about the instrument playing back the part. While your performance is MIDI data you can easily substitute a different instrument to play the part. A flute instead of an oboe, a Rhodes instead if a Wurlitzer... Etc.

"Change your mind" about the notes you've played. While your performance is MIDI a data you can easily correct *unfortunate* notes (we don't call them 'wrong notes' because we believe, like Thelonious Monk, "there are no 'wrong notes' on a piano!"). Editing notes you don't want is still a quick and easy option.

Once you have perfected your MIDI performance, you go about *committing* the data to audio. Often called rendering audio, exporting audio mixdown, bouncing, or a myriad of other terms. But the concept of committing is the one I want to stress. It is the first of several commitments you will make. You can always keep your original MIDI track performance as a backup, in case you wish to "change your mind" after committing the track to audio.

Rendering Audio recording creates a permanent, AUDIO (sound) Recording or Wave that can be heard and played back independent of the synth tone generator. To playback your composition when it is MIDI data, you MUST a play it back through a Motif XF. Anyone can playback your composition when it is an AUDIO wave... If they have a smart phone, a computer, a handheld consumer music device, etc., etc., they won't need to go purchase a Motif XF to hear your stuff!

Your XF came with Cubase AI - a light version of Cubase Pro - but with special Advance Integration features that allow for advanced audio routing - which lets you treat your Motif XF as if it were a software synthesizer resident on the computer. All the advantages of routing, easy storage, and total recall of being on the computer WITHOUT all the CPU load, and resource limitations that necessarily occur with all in the box synthesizers. You have access to all the processing power of your dedicated hardware.

Example, you have a 3-band EQ for each of your 16 Parts, plus access to boutique VCM 5-band fully parametric EQs available as Insert Effects whenever you need it. To activate all of just this would probably choke your computer. So integrating external hardware (Motif XF) with your computer DAW is easily more powerful than just running virtual soft synths.

The Advanced Integration routing allows the external hardware to RETURN audio to the computer via the same routing scenario as so called soft synths. Meaning the MIDI tracks (previously recorded) are Output to the Motif XF, the XF tone generator responds and RETURNS audio via FireWire (FW16E) to your DAW... It arrives as "virtual audio" - meaning just like a soft synth - 'what-you-hear-is-what-you-are-going-to-get' when you finally render/export audio mixdown/bounce the data to audio tracks.

While in this "virtual audio" state you can further process the audio with other plugins. So you get all the advantages of working as if the XF were a virtual soft synth, but all the advantages of the dedicated hardware instrument.

The Full versions of programs like Logic Pro and Cubase Pro, come with the capability of this advanced kind of routing. Yamaha offers this to Motif XF owners by creating a special light version of Cubase (AI), that allows you to discover this advanced audio/Midi routing scheme.

We have several articles dealing with setting up the XF for use as a VST plugin, and how to setup the XF as an External Synth within Cubase 7, and Cubase Pro 8. Although similar setups can be accomplished with Logic Pro, we have to refer you to their support folks to help you navigate the setup within Logic Pro.

The FW16E gives your XF 16 bus audio outputs from the synth to your computer via FireWire.
It also communicates all your MIDI as well.

Posted : 11/03/2016 1:38 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us