Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Issue How to connect Motif XS8 to Macbook with Sierra?

34 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Alrighty then...good luck with that.

Thank you for this joke and sarcasm.

I found a problem with connection Mac and XS 10 month ago. And I tried all different ways and suggests to resolve a problem.
After that long-way I decided to purchase another firewire-device on September 2017. And this experiment was unsuccessful also.

You wrote: It may be causing a conflict...
I say: it seams, no. Because I tried to resolve issue several times with different cables/firmwares/software since January till August.

Now I found you as an expert in Yamaha products. You was recommended by Russian office (they didnt recall me yet but they promised).

I will need to check with our Customer Support desk on Monday...

Are there any results?

Posted : 31/10/2017 8:58 am
Bad Mister

I think maybe much is lost in translation...

You said: “Actually, I have only the one driver on Macbook - Yamaha Steinberg FW.”
Then you post screenshot with another FW Driver. ???

You said: “I tried to use M-audio Firewire 410 audio-interface to connect XS to Macbook.“
Why, the Yamaha cannot use M-audio Driver - of course this didn’t work. Plugging the FW from XS to M-audio is WRONG... It would never work. XS FW must connect directly to the computer, peer-to-peer.

I recommend you remove other FW Driver especially if you are not using it. (But perhaps, you know better).

Posted : 31/10/2017 6:29 pm
Topic starter

And so.

I've just uninstalled all drivers from Yamaha, M-Audio, even USB-drivers. And I did several reboots.
After I installed "mac_tools_for_n_v275" and did reboot.

Yamaha XS didnt appear in MIDI-Audio panel.
I tried to install firmware "IEEE1394_Firmware_Updater", but without success. The error was: "Could not open the data file". But all files are store in the single folder.

Could you describe the process: how to turn on/off both devices (XS, Macbook) correctly?
May be, Macbook can not find the XS?

Posted : 01/11/2017 2:49 pm
Bad Mister

I've just uninstalled all drivers from Yamaha, M-Audio, even USB-drivers. And I did several reboots.
After I installed "mac_tools_for_n_v275" and did reboot.

Just to be clear, I only recommended you try uninstalling the other FW Driver. Was I not clear? USB driver would not interfere with the FW setup... not at all. So you removed those because you wanted to... just to be clear.

Yamaha XS didnt appear in MIDI-Audio panel.
I tried to install firmware "IEEE1394_Firmware_Updater", but without success. The error was: "Could not open the data file". But all files are store in the single folder.

Again, you should not attempt to open the Firmware Updater - so this is not unusual.

Could you describe the process: how to turn on/off both devices (XS, Macbook) correctly?
May be, Macbook can not find the XS?

Even if the MacBook is powered on first or second, as soon as you connect FW from XS the computer should immediately detect the XS via FW. The XS and computer should be linked when you launch the DAW Application... so that it can survey the ports and create the connection. But even if you plug-in FW after launching the DAW, it should still be able to establish the connection. One of the features of the Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver and Cubase as DAW, is that you can “hot wire” it... means you do not have to close the application, relaunch, or reboot; the connection can be made without interrupting a session. This requires the Driver negotiate for control of the audio setup on the computer. You can configure it to run all audio, or just audio within certain applications. This is why I asked you to reduce the possibility that some other FW device’s Driver was grabbing control of the audio Ports.

Here is what you should see when all is working correctly... just so you know: (From previous post...)

Go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES in your Dock
Find the Yamaha Steinberg FW icon listed in the “OTHER” category

Double click the icon to open the panel.
Here you will be able to set the Sample Rate (44.1kHz), the Word Clock Master (Motif XS7), and the Clock Source (Internal) --- See first screenshot below.

Click on the tab(s) that identifies your connected device(s): Motif XS7
The current IEEE1394 Firmware version of your mLAN16E2 will be shown. This should read: V1.07 currently --- See second screenshot below.

Now that we have verified that the Yamaha Steinberg Firewire driver is in place, lets make sure your Macintosh is set to use it.
On your Macintosh HD, go to APPLICATIONS > UTILITIES > AUDIO MIDI SETUP
On the AUDIO DEVICES tab select the Yamaha Steinberg FW driver as your audio device. -- See third screenshot below

Attached files

Posted : 01/11/2017 7:24 pm
Topic starter

So you removed those because you wanted to... just to be clear.

Yes, you right.

Again, you should not attempt to open the Firmware Updater - so this is not unusual.

"This is not unusual" means that I did wrong activity?

This is why I asked you to reduce the possibility that some other FW device’s Driver was grabbing control of the audio Ports.

Thank you. But you see, it was not a reason of problem, as I said later. Just to be clear.

On your Macintosh HD, go to APPLICATIONS > UTILITIES > AUDIO MIDI SETUP

Of course, it's empty. I check it everytime.
And that is why I asked your help.

Posted : 02/11/2017 5:22 am
Bad Mister

The Driver is installed proper. Reason we know this is because the dialog boxes show up... even though empty, this tells us the Driver is in place and is working. What is not working is either the physical mLAN16E2, the FW cable, the FW adapter. This is sure, by process of elimination.

We are not guessing here, this is what the evidence reveals. Had the driver not installed, you would not see the Control Panel. But you DO see the Control Panel, what you don’t see is the MOTIF XS.

So far we’ve only been looking at the audio side of the YSFW Driver. Please follow along, as we verify if your computer is receiving MIDI communication via the FW connection. This will give us more information about locating the problem.

What application (software program) are you using. I know you posted on a thread that was discussing Cubase, but I don’t see where you actually say what program you are attempting to use. We need to see if you can select and receive MIDI data from the XS.

If you are using Cubase: DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP > MIDI > MIDI PORT SETUP... Does Yamaha Motif XS appear?
If you are using another DAW, can you see the multiple MIDI ports of the Motif XS?
Let us know.

Posted : 02/11/2017 8:02 am
Topic starter

What is not working is either the physical mLAN16E2, the FW cable, the FW adapter

I'm afraid, you're right. How to check mLAN16E2? Does the XS8 have any self-diagnostic modes?

[code type=markup]Please follow along, as we verify if your computer is receiving MIDI communication via the FW connection[/code]
[code type=markup]What application (software program) are you using[/code]
I use LogicX.

I tried to use XS via firewire connection as a MIDI device, but no result.

I launched the XS editor.
I can:
- assign different instruments in Song mode
- assign effects
- change modes Pattern, Song, Voice
- set arpeggios

I cant:
- here the sound while sliding virtual keyboard in the XS editor

LogicX doesnt see Yamaha. Remote control mode in XS doesnt make effect also.

Posted : 03/11/2017 7:36 am
Bad Mister

Again, I have big difficulty understanding you.

First you say:
“I tried to use XS via firewire connection as a MIDI device, but no result”

No result means NO RESULT!

Then you immediately tell us about a successful result:
“I launched the XS editor.
I can:
- assign different instruments in Song mode
- assign effects
- change modes Pattern, Song, Voice
- set arpeggios”

Let me make the question very, very simple; yes or no.

Did the Editor come ONLINE? YES or NO?

Posted : 03/11/2017 9:03 am
Topic starter

Again, I have big difficulty understanding you.
First you say:
“I tried to use XS via firewire connection as a MIDI device, but no result”
No result means NO RESULT!

Under "Result" I mean the ability to find XS in the list of MIDI devices/Yamaha Steinberg Control Panel. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Let me make the question very, very simple; yes or no.

OK.

Did the Editor come ONLINE? YES or NO?

Yes.

Posted : 03/11/2017 10:48 am
Bad Mister

Ok, we can conclude the following:
_ The Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver is both a MIDI and Audio Driver.
_ We know the Driver is installed because its CONTROL PANEL shows up and is indicating a lack of communication with the specific device... if it were not installed properly we would not see this panel at all. There should be a tab for each device capable of using the Driver. If you had a second Motif XS, two tabs would appear, and if you had a third, three tabs saying Motif XS would appear... each with a separate identity.
_ The mLAN16E2 is communicating with your computer for MIDI so at least that portion of everything appears to be working.
We have yet to get any response from the audio side of things.

But at least now we know we have a working mLAN16E2 Board and a working YSFW Driver installed on your computer.
It now comes down to the FW cable, the FW-to-Thunderbolt adapter, and/or your configuration at the computer/software side of things. And as I’ve previously mentioned, there is a possibility that the audio busing on the mLAN16E2 is not working... but we can’t determine that yet (and I’ve never seen that MIDI was working and audio not working).

So this brings us back to your inability to set the instrument to Auto Load the IEEE1394 Driver = FW
As long as that is the case we cannot communicate audio between the XS hardware and the computer.

We’ve made progress. I have to wait to hear from someone who remembers why the Instrument cannot Select IEEE1394 Driver = FW.
My memory says it was an XS firmware update, but you insist your instrument is 1.60.x
So beyond that, you have a mystery.

I’ll let you know when I hear. Or if I think of an alternate way to test audio traversing the FW from the XS.

Posted : 03/11/2017 6:03 pm
Topic starter

Thank you for detail answer and deep investigation.

My personal conclusions are:

We know the Driver is installed because its CONTROL PANEL shows up

1. But there is a small probability, that driver doesnt work properly. To check this point, I have to visit another musician with XS and connect Macbook to another instrument.

The mLAN16E2 is communicating with your computer for MIDI so at least that portion of everything appears to be working

2. I'm not sure, that mLan16E2 didn't damaged. The reason is: either MIDI working well either it doesnt. In my case, we have: some of MIDI events work and some of them do not. For example, pressing a keys doesnt work on both sides (from XS8 and from XS editor). It looks like problem with MIDI.
To check this point, will be better to start self-diagnostic procedure. Is it possible?

It now comes down to the FW cable, the FW-to-Thunderbolt adapter

Yes, it possible. I purchased 2 cables already.

and I’ve never seen that MIDI was working and audio not working

3. And that is why I think, that mLan16E2 damaged.

I have an ability to purchase one more mLAN16E2 card from XS6. Here in Minsk. Or even one more firewire-audiocard Focusrite. Here the link.
Both ways are similar for me. But in case of damaged XS it will be fiasco also.

Posted : 03/11/2017 8:38 pm
Topic starter

One more.
Perhaps, it is important.
Yamaha XS8 has 2 firewire ports. Are they the same or I must use only #1 (on the right from musician)?

Posted : 03/11/2017 8:41 pm
Bad Mister

Please show screenshot of Yamaha Motif XS Editor Standalone/VST ... FILE > SETUP
You said the Editor comes ONLINE. This means MIDI is working, period. You probably don’t get notes because you don’t have it configured properly... but MIDI is working... or it would not come ONLINE.

Every now and then you say something that makes me question your facts: “I have an ability to purchase one more mLAN16E2 card from XS6” that will not work, you told me you have a Motif XS8, correct? The mLAN16E2 is built-in on the Yamaha XS8. Are you sure you have an XS8?

It matters not which one of the two FW Ports you use as long as you only connect one of them.

Posted : 04/11/2017 5:11 am
Topic starter

Please, see screenshots.

Attached files

Posted : 04/11/2017 7:00 pm
Topic starter

Are you sure you have an XS8?

Yes. Of course.

Posted : 04/11/2017 7:01 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us