Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Love My Rack but have an odd problem

9 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
New Member Guest

It has been set up in the same place for the last year Kurzweil PC3 midied in along with a midi thru to Roland VK8m
and just out of the blue my Yamaha stops working via midi out of the Kurzweil.Its strange.... when I play the Kurz the Yamaha midi light
lights up so it recognizes the midi info but no sound. I thought maybe it was my mixer but when auditioning the sounds it works
when playing the demos it works but not playing the sound patches.I turn it off and on nothing.So i bring it home midi my Krome to it
Viola it works

Anyone with the Motif Xs rack have a similar problem????
any suggestions?

Posted : 12/10/2015 6:28 pm
Bad Mister

The problem, from what info you have given, seems to be an issue with the controller, not the module. Or a simple setting in the Rack XS

The MIDI indicator (flashing) light means the Rack XS is receiving MIDI... MIDI, of course, is not sound, MIDI only triggers the tone engine. The Rack XS is sixteen Part multitimbral and the indicator could be triggering any one of the 16 Parts. But let's create a checklist for the Rack XS
What channel are you transmitting on?
What sound in the Rack XS is set to receive on that channel?
What volume setting is that Part set to playback at?

The fact that the demos play means the Rack XS is working as that is the Rack XS making those sounds, and obviously it plays when you switched controllers.

Posted : 12/10/2015 9:22 pm
New Member Guest

No like I said everything has been hooked up the same for about a year and it normally works fine... no midi channel adjustments both on channel 1,
volumes have not been edited, all the patches i normally use have not been edited.It seems more like an intermitent problem for ie thursday night
not working sunday morning nothing changed but works?

????

Posted : 12/10/2015 10:46 pm
Bad Mister

Ok, let's try it this way. I know nothing changed but I don't know what mode you are in or how you are using it... So I asked the questions...

What mode is your Motif-Rack XS in?

Posted : 12/10/2015 11:07 pm
New Member Guest

Mode? Voice mode if thats what you mean not Multi

Posted : 13/10/2015 3:17 pm
Bad Mister

Mode? Voice mode if thats what you mean not Multi

That's exactly what I mean.
What MIDI Channel is the Motif-Rack XS set to Receive?

Posted : 13/10/2015 3:53 pm
New Member Guest

Hi B.M. midi recieve channel 1 as well as the Kurzweil transmit channel 1. I dont think thats the problem because as I said previously this setup has been working for months and Ive done no changes to the set up and just out of the blue no sound comes out except for the sound audition and the demos.
Its only happen twice since Ive owned it which is about 2 1/2 years now.And yesterday was the 2nd time.

Posted : 13/10/2015 6:12 pm
Bad Mister

I get that you think it is unusual, and only happened a few times... But I don't believe in ghosts, not until I exhaust plausible explanations. We can agree that MIDI messages can change output level. And there are certainly perfectly normal things that could explain this. And there is nothing unusual about sound not coming out when MIDI routing is involved - it's happening to some one right now somewhere! The messages could originate from a file you recently played, from a pedal or controller that did not get reset, or a score of other things. Investigate what cc (Control Change) numbers are being sent from your controller - could be something serendipitously programmed to recall silence condition. MIDI is being received (but that does not guarantee sound output) so MIDI is where you need to focus your inquiry (no need, yet, to consult paranormal experts) 🙂

If I agree that you changed nothing and it's not due to a normal but misrouted MIDI message, then we'll have to conclude it's a ghost ... In which case, be nice to it so it doesn't get mean and show up at every gig. I'd personally would just prefer to look for plausible explanations.

Posted : 13/10/2015 7:32 pm
New Member Guest

That's food for thought BM if it's not midi maybe it's an intermittent problem with the rack but I'll check out the pedals etc thanks of not that it's s ghost

Posted : 14/10/2015 1:48 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us