Notifications
Clear all

Midi timeout using XF8 performnce, voice apps

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Roy
Topic starter

I can not get MIDI in and out lights on for XF performance, voice, multi editor apps for IPad. I keep getting a timeout error. This problem has been reported by others with no viable solution. I have tried all of Phil's suggestions to no avail. I have used an IPAD 4 and an IPad pro 10 same outcome.

Help!

Posted : 17/09/2021 7:11 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I see MIDI Out lights on my iPad when I move sliders (PM Depth, LFO Speed), turn knobs (send, return), press program select voices, etc.

My setup uses bluetooth and the MD-BT01.

Posted : 17/09/2021 10:21 pm
Bad Mister

I can not get MIDI in and out lights on for XF performance, voice, multi editor apps for IPad. I keep getting a timeout error. This problem has been reported by others with no viable solution. I have tried all of Phil's suggestions to no avail. I have used an IPAD 4 and an IPad pro 10 same outcome.

So how can we help you?
Please give us some idea of what your doing?
Are you still trying to work wirelessly or did you connect with a cable + adapter?
A Time Out Error is a specific error, it appears when your settings are not correct (no error message would mean it is not working, but an error message usually means you have a wrong setting).

What are your settings?
What is your connection?
Let us know (the fact that others report it, probably means they are not connected properly, also).
I connected an XF using USB cable + appropriate Apple adapter to my iPad and it works straightaway.
Let us know. Stay in one thread so we know where you left off (thanks) — did you try a USB cable + adapter (Lightning-USB-Camera-Adapter)… you connect from the XF’s “To Host” USB port to the Apple LUCA which connects to your iOS device.

Posted : 17/09/2021 11:32 pm
 Roy
Topic starter

Phil,

Thank you for responding. I physically set up an Ipad v4 with the Voice app using the camera adapter with the USB cable attached to the host port. (I don't need wireless.) I then set the app to midi type: "cable/bluetooth" > timeout error.

My problem is probably my internal XF8 settings are wrong for a wired connection.

UTILITY > F1 > SF3 The only interface choices are wireless or ethernet.

Suggested settings for direct USB connection?

Posted : 20/09/2021 1:02 am
Bad Mister

Suggested settings for direct USB connection?

Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] CONTROL
Press [SF2] MIDI
Set the MIDI IN/OUT = USB
Press [VOICE] to select Voice Mode.

Posted : 20/09/2021 6:35 am
 Roy
Topic starter

Phil,

Your directions worked flawlessly for the Voice and Performance apps that are USB-connected to a V 4 IPad as well as the latest 11" IPad Pro. I must not understand how to activate the Multi Editor App. Only that one times out now.

While resetting the XF8 OS, I lost all the stock performances. How do I recover them?

Thank you.

Posted : 23/09/2021 3:41 pm
Bad Mister

Your directions worked flawlessly for the Voice and Performance apps that are USB-connected to a V 4 IPad as well as the latest 11" IPad Pro. I must not understand how to activate the Multi Editor App. Only that one times out now.

In order for the Multi Editor to communicate with the XF, the XF must be in Song/Pattern Mode.
Multi = Mixing

While resetting the XF8 OS, I lost all the stock performances. How do I recover them?

You’ll have to give me some details about your “resetting the XF8” — how did you do this?
And what “stock” Performances are you talking about?

A factory reset restores all factory data.

Posted : 23/09/2021 3:48 pm
 Roy
Topic starter

Phil,

I reset the XF and everything is fine. You are a national treasure!

Grazie!

roy/audiology

Posted : 23/09/2021 5:42 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us