Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

motif rack xs

12 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

🙁 hi there am having problems with my motif rack xs on a mac pro late 2013 running macos sierra 10.12.6 am using
Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver V1.7.5 with the motif-rack_xs_extension_162_mac, i also installed the steinberg usb driver, motif-rack xs editor ver.1.6.7 and cubase 9.5
yesterday everything seemed installed and i could see that the fw driver was installed but i never managed to to get any sound from it running with cubase and today i cant get the rack running with fw or usb, please help:(

Posted : 10/12/2017 3:31 pm
Bad Mister

Forgive me for asking but it is not immediately apparent from your post, do you have the optional FW16E (FireWire Expansion) Board installed in your Motif-Rack XS?

There is no “Steinberg usb Driver” for the Motif-Rack XS.
If you have the FW16E installed you can connect the Motif-Rack XS to the computer for both MIDI and Audio via a Single FW cable. This requires the “Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver”
If you do not have the FW16E, you can connect to the computer via USB (this is MIDI only) and then you would use the “Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver V1.3.2-2”. MIDI only.

The Motif-Rack XS does not (ever) Send audio via its USB connection, it is MIDI Only.

My questions for you:
How is the Motif-Rack XS connected to your computer?
How are your speakers connected in your system?

Posted : 10/12/2017 3:58 pm
Topic starter

hi there again and thanks for your quick reply, am connected with the FW16E through a an apple thunderbolt adapter, i mean installed everything yesterday and i could see the the driver installed in the FW16E CONTROLL PANEL and show up in cubase 9.5 and also load and sync motif rack editor and the vst version inside cubase ,
but today the driver dont load and i cant even sync the external editor thru mlan or usb, i reinstalled all drivers, i tried switching thunderbolt ports.
am using a metric halo uln 2 as monitoring interface with motis LR are connected to its analogue inputs.

Posted : 10/12/2017 6:24 pm
Bad Mister

This is the worst of all problems, the one where you know you have everything setup correctly, and initially it works... and then you return and it’s as if it never happened.

I have not gotten my hands on 9.5 as yet. Hoping it’s not an issue there. If you would, drop a note to Steinberg through your MySteinberg Account, that will put somebody on it from that end. I’ll rattle the tree over here and perhaps if it is a 9.5 issue it can be fixed ASAP. 9.5 is hardly out for but a minute now...

We did establish you had the wrong usb driver, correct?
You want the Yamaha USB-MIDI V1.3.2-2

Posted : 10/12/2017 10:19 pm
Topic starter

Hi there again yes,it was Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V1.9.10 for Mac i already deinstalled it, regarding the the cubase issue i had same problem with cubese 4.5 and 8, ill try the usb midi sense mine was wrong thanks for the help, ill also contact steinberg

Posted : 10/12/2017 11:14 pm
Bad Mister

Yes, let us know. None of the Cubase versions will communicate with the Rack XS via the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver, because it is not the Motif-Rack XS Driver... the Motif-Rack XS does not do audio via USB.

Posted : 11/12/2017 6:21 pm
Topic starter

hi there i managed to get the usb midi running but am wondering about the the FW16E should i upgrade to macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 ? to get it working? am currently on mac os sierra 10.12.6, i haven't got any respond from steinberg yet, but any info relating to drivers and hardware not function right is about macOS High Sierra 10.13.1

Posted : 11/12/2017 10:25 pm
Bad Mister

wondering about the the FW16E should i upgrade to macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 ? to get it working?

No.

You started by saying you can see the driver installed... where are you looking?
Your issue seems to be getting audio, which could be a simple setting you’ve neglected to make.

Posted : 11/12/2017 10:43 pm
Topic starter

yes i could see the driver in the yamaha steinberg driver control panel and also in the cubase software when i first installed,now driver wont load, i think its an apple security block of the driver

Posted : 11/12/2017 10:58 pm
Bad Mister

Here is a step-by-step setup guide for using the Motif-Rack XS via FW:
When you are using the Motif-Rack XS with the Yamaha Steinberg FW driver (YSFW) you need to verify the following settings in your Motif-Rack XS:
Press [UTILITY]
Select “GENERAL”
Press [ENTER]
On page 2 of 5 (2/5) ensure that the IEEE1394 Driver = FW
If this is not the setting, change the setting from "mLAN" to "FW" (because you will be using the new FireWire driver for audio), then press [STORE] to write this preference to your Flash ROM.
You will need to reboot the Motif-Rack XS for this setting to take place.

This setting will cause your Motif-Rack XS to automatically load the system necessary to use the Yamaha Steinberg FW ASIO Driver, versus the older (pre-2007) mLAN Driver. The Motif-Rack XS came out as one of the products that transitioned from the old mLAN network driver to the newer YSFW "peer-to-peer" FireWire Driver. You want your unit set to use the FW driver. Once this setting is made, STORED and you reboot, your Motif-Rack XS will remain set this way until you either change it or Factory Reset your unit.

Next, you want to make sure that the MIDI communication is set to mLAN:
Press [UTILITY]
Select “MIDI”
Press [ENTER]
On page 1 of 6 (1/6) ensure that the MIDI IN/OUT = mLAN
Press [STORE] to write this preference to your Flash ROM.
Connect your Motif-Rack XS to your computer with a FW cable
Set the Motif-Rack XS to MULTI mode (press the front panel button [MULTI]).

On your Macintosh computer:
Go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES in your Dock
Find the Yamaha Steinberg FW icon
Double click the icon to open the control panel.
Here you will be able to set the Sample Rate (44.1, 48, 88.2 or 96kHz), the Word Clock Master (Motif-Rack XS), and the Clock Source (Internal)

Click on the tab(s) that identifies your connected device(s): Motif-Rack XS
The current IEEE1394 Firmware version of your mLAN16E2 will be shown. This should read: V1.08 if you have a FW16E installed. If you have an older mLAN16e2 installed then your latest version will be 1.07-2

If your Control Panel only has two Tabs (let us know) it means your do not have a working connection via FW between the Rack XS and your computer. If this is the case STOP, let us know... because nothing will work without a successful link via FW.

Launch Cubase
Go to DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP… > MIDI > MIDI Port Setup
Here you will be able to select the device(s) that will be your MIDI controller. Typically this is any MIDI controller connected to its back panel jack Motif-Rack XS MIDI IN and/or you may wish to select the Motif-Rack XS Main (this is so you can record knob movements to tracks or as automation within Cubase).
In general, this is where you mark any device that you want to have input to your MIDI Track. It should be a controller device. Make sure that only these devices are marked in the “In ‘All MIDI Inputs’” column

Move down to the VST AUDIO SYSTEM item and verify that the Yamaha Steinberg FW is selected as the ASIO DRIVER.

The option just below VST AUDIO SYSTEM will be “Yamaha Steinberg FW”. If you highlight that you will see the CONTROL PANEL where you can set your buffer size.

In order to launch the Motif-Rack XS as a VST, do the following.

Open a Cubase Project (a New Project or one you are working on)
Go to DEVICES > VST INSTRUMENTS > Under "RACK INSTRUMENTS" > External > Motif-Rack XS VST

This will create a VST INSTRUMENT folder containing the first instance of the Motif-Rack XS VST... in its own Sub Folder... which will contain an AUTOMATION LANE and an AUDIO LANE (for returning audio from the Motif-Rack XS hardware).
You will be asked if you want to create a MIDI Track assigned to this VST plugin... Yes you do, so CREATE it.

Notice the MIDI OUT of this first MIDI Track is assigned to "01: Motif-R XS VST - MIDI In"

This allows the MIDI from the Track to travel through the Editor before it triggers the hardware Rack XS.
Create a NEW MIDI Track for each PART you want to use on the Motif-Rack XS and make sure they are set so:
MIDI OUT = "01: Motif-R XS VST - MIDI In"

To verify setup within the Editor - the graphic interface of the Editor appears and comes ONLINE, if not here's where you can set it up:
Click on FILE > SETUP
Here you can configure the MIDI Ports of the Editor (see below)

As you can see the MIDI OUT of the Editor is routed to the Motif-Rack XS Hardware. This is how the Keys of the Editor will trigger the hardware.

In the Editor Go to FILE > VSTi SETUP and configure your AUDIO RETURNS.

That should get you started. Let us know.

Posted : 11/12/2017 11:00 pm
Topic starter

hi there again no luck with that, maybe i should try with a new fw 400/800 cable,any brand to recommend

Posted : 11/12/2017 11:55 pm
Bad Mister

hydero wrote:

hi there again no luck with that, maybe i should try with a new fw 400/800 cable,any brand to recommend

No I don’t recommend a new FW cable, I cannot conclude that because you have given me no feedback on the checklist. Believe it or not, I do this for a living, it’s not a random setup checklist, but one I would ask you to go through step-by-step, and then report where your setup goes “off the rails” if you will.

Please start at the top and identify where your Setup is different. Then maybe we can definitively “know” if it is indeed the cable- but so far you’ve told me nothing that would have me conclude it is the cable. For example, if you can’t select “IEEE1394 Driver = FW” That has nothing to do with replacing a cable, it tells me something specific about your Motif-Rack XS, however. And replacing the cable would be (perhaps) completely an unnecessary expense.

Let me know (or do we just want to guess?) try by starting at the the top and if you cannot make a specific setting, or an option does appear in your setup, that would be good info. Please try it from the top. And identify where in the checklist you meet trouble. Thanks in advance. We promise to follow through and get you up and running to the best of our ability...

Posted : 12/12/2017 2:36 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us