Notifications
Clear all

Motif XF Life Span

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Is the Motif XF being replaced by the new Montage and will there still be support for my Motif XF because it's still new to me. I got mines in October of 2013.

Posted : 01/02/2016 5:16 am
Bad Mister

Yamaha is known for supporting products for literally decades after the product is discontinued, so you have no worries there. We recently just ended free support on the DX7 which was discontinued some thirty years ago! And it's not they we don't support DX7 still, it's just now I believe they ask for a nominal fee. Legally, Yamaha will support the Motif XF with parts, and the like, until 2023.

So hurry, write down your questions 🙂
Congratulations on your Motif XF - there are still years of enjoyment in that instrument. Are you fully loaded? That is did you get the expansion boards (Flash and FireWire) those may disappear before too long.

Posted : 01/02/2016 12:36 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thank you, yes I'm fully loaded, I have two 512mb flash expansion board, the video you did and the firewire.

Posted : 01/02/2016 8:56 pm
Eminent Member

Bad Mister wrote:
Yamaha is known for supporting products for literally decades after the product is discontinued, so you have no worries there. We recently just ended free support on the DX7 which was discontinued some thirty years ago! And it's not they we don't support DX7 still, it's just now I believe they ask for a nominal fee.

Awesome. Comforting as a Yamaha user.

Posted : 02/02/2016 6:50 pm
Rich
 Rich
Eminent Member

Hey Phil. I'm not a DAW user. I have th expansion boards, which are great, but if I never plan to use a DAW, would there be any other reason to get the FireWire adapter? Your post above (those may disappear before too long) got me thinking......

Thanks.

Posted : 03/02/2016 2:30 am
Bad Mister

... if I never plan to use a DAW, would there be any other reason to get the FireWire adapter?

No. Not really.

The FW16E is a 16-in/6-out audio interface for a computer. Although it is placed inside the Motif XF, it is like any external computer audio interface - it is responsible for routing audio into, getting audio back out of your computer, it also connects to your speaker system. Literally, it turns your Motif XF into an audio interface for your computer. If you don't need to record audio to your computer from your XF you don't need an audio interface. The FW16E simultaneously handles MIDI communication, as well, but you have three other options for routing MIDI data out: 5-pin MIDI, USB-MIDI, or Network (wifi) MIDI.

Posted : 03/02/2016 2:26 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us