Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Motif XF8 Configuration In Presonus Studio One Version 3.3.1 On Mac OSX El Capitan 10.11.6(Laptop) As A Main MIDI Controller

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Actually there is no detail tutorial about how to configure motif xf8 as a midi controller in Presonus Studio One as far as I know. I've installed the latest driver and configured new keyboard(receive from) and new intrument(send to) to port 1 both . No configuration setting outside the DAW . I set in the utility(MOTIF XF8) to USB from MIDI and Local Data still on because if I turn off there's some button that can't be used in midi learn, also there's no Studio One in DAW integration option in MOTIF as a controller .The main problem is from the Yamaha Motif XF8 as a midi controller. I used this as ONLY ONE midi controller(No daisy chain) and record an instrument track . I haven't done it and I use the same midi controller in the next day to continue the project . Unfortunately, the midi detected in the preferences configuration and the instrument track but the main problem is NO SOUND at all at the playback . It can't read(from previous recorded midi data) and the same problem if I continue to play and record from the same track NO SOUND at all . Can you tell me a brief description about the requirement and detail steps to configure ?Hopefully you can solve this case fast thankyou!

Attached files

Posted : 09/11/2016 1:56 pm
Bad Mister

I can solve this quickly... MIDI makes no sound. Never has. MIDI data when sent to a MIDI tone generator can cause that tone generator to create audio (sound). So your problem is Audio, not MIDI. MIDI cannot be heard!

Sorry I don't know FL Studio, but your issue is where is the audio routed. What is your audio interface?

When recording MIDI data LOCAL CONTROL should be OFF
This should not prevent any "learn" function, you're incorrect about that. The MIDI data travels OUT to the DAW (only), you must echo it back to the XF from the selected track.

Posted : 10/11/2016 2:21 am
Topic starter

My Audio Interface Is Presonus Audiobox 22 VSL, I'm using Studio One not FL Studio . And my monitor speaker output connect with the audio interface to sound it . Yes it is true,the problem is from the route configuration . How to solve this?

Posted : 10/11/2016 12:48 pm
Topic starter

This is the screenshot from the DAW

Attached files

Posted : 10/11/2016 2:23 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry, I meant Studio One.

I do not see the MIDI IN coming from the Motif XF8 - 4th screenshot (?)
How is the XF connected for MIDI?

Posted : 10/11/2016 2:48 pm
Topic starter

5th screenshot MIDI IN, with generic usb cable

Posted : 11/11/2016 2:49 am
Bad Mister

Again, in the 4th screenshot it says "Received From = None" - I kind of think this needs to from the Motif XF-1.
Is this what "Port 1" means in screenshot 5?
And ther the "Send To" setting is "None", seems like it's not connected...but I'm guessing, sorry, I don't know this software.

Posted : 12/11/2016 3:13 am

Arnold,
From watching the Motif and Studio One setup by Steady B on the Keyfax Music Production With Motif video, he goes through two different setups.
Note he was also using the FireWire device and USB for Midi.

To use the Motif as a Midi Controller to play the DAW computer sounds -
Prefs - Ext Devices - Add - New Keyboard
Receive From - Yamaha Motif XF8 Port 1
Send To - Motif XF8 Midi Out
You will then be able to record the Presonus sounds from the Motif keys.

To use the Motif internal sounds, sequencer and songs within the DAW-
Prefs - Ext Devices - Add - New Instrument
Receive From - Yamaha Motif XF8 Port 1
Send To - Yamaha Motif XF8 Port 1
To enable recording of the Motif audio internal sounds (using the Motif as the audio interface) he had the Motif outs plugged into the A/D inputs, headphones were used to monitor.
If using an external interface plug the cable into the inputs.

There is also this thread on the forum - https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/motif-xf-with-studio-one
Hope this helps but I don't use Studio One.
Regards.

Posted : 13/11/2016 2:10 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us