Notifications
Clear all

need some advise

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
 bob
Topic starter

i have the motif-rack xs. the way i plan to use this is: we have sets of songs that need specific effects. we also don't have a steady keyboardist. so my plan is to set up the rack with something that will allow me to send midi commands to the rack to change the voices as we progress through the set. keyboardists or at least what i have been exposed in my neck of the woods want to use their own personal keyboards. that is understandable. so what the keyboardist of the day will do is connect their keyboard to the motif rack via the 5 pin midi plug.

now the part that confuses me is what kind of hardware device can i use to send midi commands to change the voices? i don't want to use a computer/laptop because they are simply too vulnerable to damage in most environments involving large groups of alcohol consuming people. i need something with push buttons that i can assign specific voices to. i have to keep it simple. i have been looking on line and there is an overwhelming variety of "midi" devices. the features and specs seem to me as contradicting and confusing.

i tried to use a midi controller android app on my tablet. it didn't connect to the motif. i think i need what is called "usb host mode". usb host mode is mentioned in lots of articles I've read but not really explained as to what it is and why i would need it.

so the bottom line is; what can i connect to my motif-rack that will allow me to send midi commands to the motif-rack to change voices quickly - excluding a computer.

Posted : 08/05/2016 2:15 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us