Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

No sound for imported song

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I've recently started working with Cubase in sync with my Motif and I just loaded one of my songs from the Motif into Cubase and the Motif VST Editor. All of the midi data transferred into Cubase fine and all the voices loaded fine into the editor. Only problem is I can't hear any music when I press play in Cubase. Does anybody no what I'm missing here? I did notice that the midi tracks in Cubase only transferred the midi data and not the voices. Is that normal?

Posted : 10/07/2015 12:34 am
Bad Mister

Hi Jason, welcome to Yamaha Synth...

We've moved your post to the Motif XF forum heading (as you do not have a Reface quite yet)! There is no Motif VST Editor _ but we are going to take a 50/50 guess that you have Motif XF, the other possibility is a Motif XS.

Does anybody no what I'm missing here? I did notice that the midi tracks in Cubase only transferred the midi data and not the voices. Is that normal?

Yes this is completely normal. The data from the Motif XF sequencer tracks is transferred to the Cubase MIDI Tracks. The Motif XF combines three separate devices: The Keyboard/Controller, the Sequencer and the Tone Generator. You transferred the MIDI events that a listed on the EVENT LIST of the Motif XF Sequencer. This is totally separate data from the instruments you assigned to each PART of the MIXING setup. The MIXING setup is transferred into the Motif XF VST in a separate operation.

If you look at your Motif XF sequencer's Event List, you do by selecting a Track and pressing [EDIT], you'll see the information that you played on the keyboard. [SONG] mode. The instruments you selected are housed under the [MIXING] button. Each Motif XF [SONG] is automatically associated with one [MIXING] setup. The Editor VST can capture your MIXING... this includes the Voice for each of 16 Parts, the Volume, the Pan setting, the EQ, the Effects send amounts, the Effect selections and settings, etc., etc., etc.

Song mode = Midi events
Mixing mode = Tone generator settings.

So this is a two step operation. First transfer the MIDI Event data; then second, transfer the tone generator settings to the Editor. At that point Cubase can address the Motif XF with all the information it need to reunite the Midi events with the tone generator selections necessary to sound properly from the synth tone engine.

Quick Check: Make sure your MIDI Tracks are assigned to the "01. Motif XF VST - MIDI In"
Click on the MIDI OUT portion in the Track Inspector (track by track) and make sure you select the following highlighted in blue below:

Here is an article that steps you through the process.

Motif XF Song Import using the Editor VST

If you gets stuck or have additional questions post back here.

Posted : 10/07/2015 3:57 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us