Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Pairing "Yamaha Motif XF" with "Steinberg Cubase" (importing Motif XF songs): what edition/version do I need?

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I know that Steinberg Cubase let's user importing Motif XF songs. I have two questions regarding this feature availability:

1. Since "Cubase 9.5 Pro" is very expensive I need to know if "Cubase 9.5 Elements" has the same feature too?

2. Or may be earlier versions of Cubase (7?8?9?) can do the same thing? If so, what edition(s)?

Regards, Vadim.

Posted : 27/11/2017 4:48 pm
Bad Mister

All versions of Cubase post Cubase series 4 can take advantage of Motif XF Song Import. This is because it is a bit of code that you download and add to your version of Cubase which teaches it to interpret the XF file format. This software is available for free download on the page with the XF firmware and software.

You want to download the SOFTWARE for your computer type and OS: Motif XF Extension

This is an Extension written by Yamaha that adds functionality to Cubase that will allow you to IMPORT a Motif XF Song directly into a Cubase Project from a Motif XF ALL data file (.X3A). This is the most efficient way to move Song data from your XF to Cubase. It is a simple two-step procedure. First, your musical performance data (sequence) and then your mix data into a Cubase Project - where it will all be recombined and stored together in a Cubase (.CPR) Project file. This is very useful when you have started a project in your Motif XF and want to now continue work in the Cubase environment.

Just FYI because you are an owner of Cubase AI (came with your Motif XF) you likely qualify for a discount on whatever version of Cubase you decide to go with. You can contact Steinberg via your MySteinberg Account. However more expensive you think it may be, might be covered by your upgrade path discount... at any rate it is worth checking into...

Posted : 27/11/2017 6:53 pm
Topic starter

Bad Mister,
Thank you for a fast and very informative response!
What I am worried about is the fact I do not see "XF Song" option in my "Cubase AI 6" menu "File" > "Import..." (though I do have "Extension" installed)
Regards, Vadim.

Posted : 27/11/2017 7:41 pm
Topic starter

See "Cubase AI6 - no XF song import.png", please.

Attached files

Posted : 28/11/2017 3:28 am
Bad Mister

Go to DEVICES > Plugin Information > check the two tabs: “Program Plug-ins” and “Project Import-Export Plug-ins”
Make sure the Extension appears active, and that Motif XS SONG is listed.

Posted : 28/11/2017 4:53 am
Topic starter

Well, Program plugins seem OK, Import-Export don't...

Attached files

Posted : 28/11/2017 7:03 am
Bad Mister

Neither is ok... I do not see (the one item you need to make this work) the reason it is not working for you is this missing component.

“Yamaha MOTIF XF Extension” version 1.1.2

I see the “Yamaha MOTIF XF Editor VST Assistant”, BUT I don’t see the Extension. Please download and install the “MOTIF XF Extension”

Attached files

Posted : 28/11/2017 5:31 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us