Clear all

recording drum and bass voices when in song/master mode

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 john
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Bad Mister, I have a set of 8 voices set in song/master mode. I wish to add drums and bass to parts of an 8 tune Genesis medley. Is this possible, and if so, please give me specific instructions as to how to do this? As an FYI, I have had this question in to Customer Support since July 16th with no call back. Thank you.

Posted : 06/08/2017 2:37 am
Bad Mister

Im not clear on what you are asking.
Can you have 8 Voices available for access at once? yes. Place the Voices you want to access into Parts of a SONG MIXING program and STORE it, link that Song with your MASTER program setup to send 8 Zones to the INT Tone Generator using the MIDI channel assignment.

I'm not sure what you are asking about the Drums and Bass... can they be among the eight... sure why not.
Can you add control over them in addition to the eight Zones, no that would be 10.
Can you control them from the Sequencer? Sure why not, it has 16 Tracks.

Can you play Genesis medleys with an XF? Yes, it is allowed and encouraged.
Sorry, I'm trying to guess what the actual question is here... let us know.

Posted : 06/08/2017 12:12 pm
 john
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I am sorry I wasn't clear. 1. I have my Genesis voices in a song mode. The song and master mode lights are both on. 2. I wish to record my medley but have been unsuccessful in this mode. I have been told I cannot record in the master mode. 3. I need to record my medley so I can either record drums and bass over my medley or hire someone to make a drum/bass track for me.

Specifically, how can I record my 8 voice song/master medley? Then, if I choose, how can I record a drum track over it? That way, I can play my medley live, with backing drum tracks that I have recorded.

I would have responded earlier except your website would not allow me to respond. Thanks, John

Posted : 11/08/2017 12:39 am
Bad Mister

I have been told I cannot record in the master mode.

And you were told correctly... in order to record you must be in one of the two SEQUENCER modes, Song or Pattern. Motif XF is designed to record on track at a time, transmitting on one MIDI Channel at a time.

While Master mode allows you to transmit on eight MIDI channels simultaneously, that does not change the initial truth... you cannot record in the Master Mode.

Maybe I'm not understanding why you believe you have to record your medley in Master mode... sorry, I simply don't understand.

Now, a Performance in the new Montage, with eight Parts under KBD CTRL can be played and recorded simultaneously. It literally is like playing eight Motif XFs... because you are able to transmit on eight channels at once! Without using Master mode.

Posted : 11/08/2017 1:42 am
 john
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Bad Mister, Then how can I record the medley using all 8 voices? When I turn off the master lamp so only song mode is working, all I have is voice #1. When I talked to Avery he, I thought, suggested that I put all 8 voices on one channel. If that is the case, please explain step by step how to do this. My Genesis medley requires all 8 voices. It seems to me that I record the medley first. Then attempt to add a drum and maybe bass track and record. But if I can't record the medley, I can't add the drum/bass tracks. If worse comes to worse, I could record in Performance mode. I could set up 2 Performances and then cover all 8 voices and switch back from song to song. If that is necessary to record, please, step by step show me how. Thanks for your time. John

Posted : 11/08/2017 2:57 pm
Bad Mister

Again, we are separated by a common language here. To me a medley is one song that is melded onto the end of another - where the music does not stop but, rather simply converts from one song title to another.

I do not understand (because you have not yet explained) for example, what eight Voices, what you mean by a "medley", aren't the drums and bass apart of the eight Voices? Try to explain so that someone not seeing *your* Motif XF understands what you have setup (exactly as you can). Why for example, do you have to record everything at once?

Can't you build your SONG up one track at time - the way SONG mode is designed to work.

Posted : 11/08/2017 6:21 pm
 john
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Bad Mister, I am total agreement with you on the description of a medley. What 8 voices? In Song/Master 1. Bright Saw synth, 2. Fully organ, 3. Wind Synth, 4. 3 Octave Strings, 5. 30 Oscillators strings, 6. Aah choir, 7. Sunday organ, and 8. Vintage JB bass. No drums in the voices. "Why do you have to record everything at once?" you ask? Because all 8 voices are needed to effectively play 7 intros of the Genesis songs.

I did try to re-create the above voices in Song mode (no Master.) But it would only play one voice at a time. That is because they are on channels 1-8 in Part Select. If it is possible to set all 8 voices in channel one, then I could use all 8 voices in Song only mode. But I don't believe that is possible. If it is, that solves the problem. Just please show me how.

Since I know I can record in Performance mode, I have created 4 Performances that somewhat duplicates what I have in Song/Master. Of course now I will have the 1-2 second pause in between medley songs, that that is the way it is.

Now, unfortunately even in Performance mode, following the directions on pg. 33-35 in the manual, it won't record. It is important to record the medley as a friend from church has Ableton software and can load drum tracks for me into CUBASE. But he needs the medley recording to build his drum tracks. So if you could give me instruction as to how to record the medley in Performance mode, I would be grateful.

I hope this email has been easy for you to understand. If not, tell me where I need to be more clear. I didn't give you the names of the 7 song Genesis medley as I didn't think it important.

Thanks for the help, John R.

Posted : 13/08/2017 8:00 pm
Bad Mister

I don't understand how it solves the problem but...

You set the MIDI Receive Channel of each Part in Song mode, as follows:
Press [MIXING]
Press [1] to view Part 1 parameters
Press [F1] VOICE
Press [SF1] VOICE
Here, at the top of the screen you can set the MIDI Receive channel...
Use the Part Select number buttons to navigate between Parts.

Posted : 13/08/2017 8:10 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us