Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Request for help with setting up my Motif XF with Windows 10 and Cubase via FireWire

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Sean
Topic starter

My setup: I have the Yamaha Steinberg FireWire Audio/MIDI driver installed. I have Cubase AI 9.5 installed. Also, I have the Motif XF Editor installed along with the Yamaha Motif XF extensions. My audio interface sound card is the Mbox 3 Pro FireWire which I have my monitors connected to.

I’m not so much interested in using the Motif XF on its own to record things. I want to record sounds, songs, patterns, performances and edit and control the Motif XF via Cubase and the Motif Editor.

Basically, I want to be able to have a separate midi and audio track in Cubase from the sounds coming from my Motif XF whether I’m in Voice, Pattern, Song or Performance mode.

Starting from square one, if someone has a list of things I should know for setting up and using my Motif XF via FireWire and Cubase on a Windows 10 PC that would be great. There’s a lot of info out there and so far, I’ve found bits and pieces of info that can help me but nothing specific to what I’m trying to do.

Step by step instructions on how to setup my Motif and Cubase so I can send each of the 4 parts (voices, Arps) of a Performance Mode selection (i.e. Inner Wind) to separate tracks in Cubase having both a Midi and Audio track for each individual part/voice/Arp. This is so that I can record both the pure Audio from the Motif XF having the FireWire connection and the midi data on its own track in case I want to change something after recording.

The same info for setting up my Motif XF with Cubase for a Motif Pattern Mode having both a separate Midi and Audio track for each part in Cubase.

The same info for setting up my Motif XF with Cubase for a Song Mode on the Motif XF having both a separate Midi and Audio track for each part in Cubase.

Thanks in advance for anyone taking the tome to give me guidance and assistance.

Posted : 25/08/2018 11:11 pm
Bad Mister

My setup: I have the Yamaha Steinberg FireWire Audio/MIDI driver installed. I have Cubase AI 9.5 installed. Also, I have the Motif XF Editor installed along with the Yamaha Motif XF extensions. My audio interface sound card is the Mbox 3 Pro FireWire which I have my monitors connected to.

You can remove the Mbox as it will not be necessary. The Motif XF with an FW16E installed will be your audio interface. Connect your XF to your computer via FW, and your monitor speakers to the Main L&R Outputs of the Motif XF. It literally is your Audio Interface.

Step by step instructions on how to setup my Motif and Cubase so I can send each of the 4 parts (voices, Arps) of a Performance Mode selection (i.e. Inner Wind) to separate tracks in Cubase having both a Midi and Audio track for each individual part/voice/Arp. This is so that I can record both the pure Audio from the Motif XF having the FireWire connection and the midi data on its own track in case I want to change something after recording.

The same info for setting up my Motif XF with Cubase for a Motif Pattern Mode having both a separate Midi and Audio track for each part in Cubase.

The same info for setting up my Motif XF with Cubase for a Song Mode on the Motif XF having both a separate Midi and Audio track for each part in Cubase.

I think once you realize how it works you’ll be able to set these up yourself. Developing your own workflow is what this is all about. In general, you can record MIDI first. The reasoning being the ability to “change your mind” while the data is MIDI. You can edit, fix mistakes, change the sounds, and generally perfect the performance. Then you can render the data to audio tracks in a separate operation. This operation in Cubase is called “Export Audio Mixdown”.

You will discover that your MIDI Track’s reason to exist ends once you render their data to Audio. You can keep the MIDI data in a “muted” Folder, as a safety, in case you ever want to go back and fix something... then render new audio. That’s a typical workflow.

Here are articles that will help you get started with the configuration.

Motif XF Yamaha Steinberg FW Setup for Windows with Cubase

Motif XF Editor VST

Motif XF Routing Parts via FW

Once your configured, let us know, and we can get you going with some step-by-step example recording situations.

Posted : 26/08/2018 1:17 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us