Clear all

Selecting Multis via an external MIDI controller

36 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 Joe
Topic starter

Hi Phil,

I think I found the problem! Yamaha's numbering system is a little confusing. I downloaded the firmware update for v1.04 and read the Read Me file. I went back and looked at the version in my Motif Rack XS again... it is v1.00.4. That # 4 on the end tripped me up! So... I see why it's not working. I will have to do a firmware update.

Question: I've been building my own User Bank of Multis. How do I save them before I do the firmware update? I would rather not have to start from scratch again. From what I gather in the manual... looks like a bulk dump means 1 Multi. So I would have to save each multi... one at a time. Is that correct?

TIA,
Joe H

Posted : 20/03/2017 7:10 pm
 Joe
Topic starter

OK... I did the update. And it works like a charm now!

But I must correct you Phil as an experienced MIDI software beta tester... The current version is NOT v1.04. It is v1.04.0. There is a difference. The installation document expresses it wrongly too, but cited previous versions noting the 1.xx.x version format. Seems like such a little thing, but it is not. I offer a lot of technical support on a Yamaha arranger forum and I know that forums are sometimes a difficult venue for communicating technical details.

This whole process makes me appreciate the new Yamaha arranger keyboards a bit more. Firmware updates are easier and installing expansion packs is easy too. Oh what fun that was updating the Motif OS... .. but I'm only 2 weeks into this machine so I'll get the hang of things soon enough.

Regards,
Joe H

Posted : 21/03/2017 4:38 am

Hello Joe,

I have the same Problem as you and did the same procedure as you described above but it does´t work 🙁
I wanna control the Motif Rack XS with my Nord Stage 2.

Any idea what could be still the problem?

Regard
Routax

Posted : 07/09/2017 7:45 am
Bad Mister

You don't mention what specifically you tried or what specifically you want to do.

Posted : 07/09/2017 10:17 am

I wanna send Program Changes to my Multi Bank on my Yamaha Motif XS Rack so i can step through the Multi Programs USR 01-128.

Posted : 07/09/2017 10:19 am
Bad Mister

First, thing is to place the Motif-Rack XS in the Mode you want to work. If you are playing single sounds only you might opt for VOICE mode, if you are using the Rack XS as a multi-timbral tone generator, place the Rack XS in MULTI mode.

Bank Select and Program Change data can be used to change the programs within the currently selected MODE.

In order to switch between MODES requires more than a Bank Select/Program Change message.

Place the Motif-Rack XS in MULTI Mode
You do so by simply pressing that front panel button.

From your Controller you need to send the following:
MSB 63
LSB 68
then the Program Change 001-128*

* sorry we don't know the Nord, some controllers will send Program Change numbers starting with 000-127, if that is the case you will need subtract 1 from the PC you want to recall.

The MSB and LSB numbers tell the Rack XS you want to change the entire MULTI (not just an individual Part).

Posted : 07/09/2017 11:03 am

Hello Bad Mister,

Yes, that´s exactly the procedure i did with my Motif Rack XS!
But the result is, that i can only change the parts of the Multi and not from 1 Multi to the next...

It´s the same as written above from Joe in this Topic.

Posted : 08/09/2017 9:34 am

Hey Bad Mister,

I did exactly the procedure you described but it does´t work. Always changes the individual Parts of the Multi!

Posted : 08/09/2017 10:22 am

I did exactly the same procedure as you described, but don´t changes the Multis but just the individual Parts!

Posted : 10/09/2017 8:22 pm
Bad Mister

Did you update your firmware, just like the original poster? This fixed his issue (btw).

Posted : 10/09/2017 8:40 pm

I did exactly the same procedure as you described but it doesn´t work.
I can only change the the individual Parts but not step through the Multis as i want to!

Posted : 11/09/2017 4:56 pm

Bad Mister wrote:

First, thing is to place the Motif-Rack XS in the Mode you want to work. If you are playing single sounds only you might opt for VOICE mode, if you are using the Rack XS as a multi-timbral tone generator, place the Rack XS in MULTI mode.

Bank Select and Program Change data can be used to change the programs within the currently selected MODE.

In order to switch between MODES requires more than a Bank Select/Program Change message.

Place the Motif-Rack XS in MULTI Mode
You do so by simply pressing that front panel button.

From your Controller you need to send the following:
MSB 63
LSB 68
then the Program Change 001-128*

* sorry we don't know the Nord, some controllers will send Program Change numbers starting with 000-127, if that is the case you will need subtract 1 from the PC you want to recall.

The MSB and LSB numbers tell the Rack XS you want to change the entire MULTI (not just an individual Part).

I can only change the the individual Parts but not step through the Multis as i want to!

Posted : 11/09/2017 4:58 pm

Posted : 11/09/2017 5:04 pm
Bad Mister

You understand that the original poster continued to have the issue until he updated his firmware. You can ignore my question and we can go around the barn again and again...

https://yamahasynth.com/forum/selecting-multis-via-an-external-midi-controller#reply-19392

Posted : 11/09/2017 6:56 pm

Hello I am also trying to achieve the Program Change in Multi-mode but even when I use the information you have provided it still does not work

I am working with Mainstage therefore, when selecting a Patch I am able to send a midifile with the following message (Sysex converted to Midifile)

Modes can be switched via SysEx messages…
F0 43 10 7F 03 0A 00 01 00 F7 Voice
F0 43 10 7F 03 0A 00 01 05 F7 Multi

Everything works fine in Voice mode I send F0 43 10 7F 03 0A 00 01 00 F7 Voice MSB = 63 LSB = 8 (to access to the USER1 and PC (1 - 128)
But on Multi-Mode I send F0 43 10 7F 03 0A 00 01 05 F7 Multi (it automatically switch to Multi Mode) but MSB = 63 and LSB = 68 + PC do not select the PC

Looks like it is changing the patch on CH1 of the Multi but do not change the entire multi

Am I missing something ?

Thanks for your support

Forgot to mention that I am running on 1.04 Firmware

Posted : 10/10/2017 2:28 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us