Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Selecting Multis via an external MIDI controller

36 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Bad Mister

What Receive Channel is your Rack XS set to receive on? Factory default is Channel 1? Have you changed this?

MSB 63
LSB 68
PC 0-127 will select the Multi

See page 62 Data List booklet.
It works here.

I’ll ask, is your Rack XS updated to the latest firmware?

As a test, eliminate MainStage, as I don’t know what or if it sends the messages properly.
Try using just a DAW or other device connected direct to the Rack XS as a test... if it works, it may lead you to what’s wrong elsewhere.
If it doesn’t work, let me know.

Checklist:
in Utility > MIDI page 2/6
Ensure your Rack XS is set so that
Bank Select Sw = On
Pgm Change Sw = On

Check you global MIDI Channel:
Press [VOICE] to enter Voice Mode
Press [UTILITY]
Select “VOICE MIDI” > Enter
Set the Receive Channel ... your message to change the MULTI will use this Receive Channel setting when sending MSB 63/LSB 68, and PC

Press [EXIT] twice
Select [MULTI]
Your Rack XS is globally set to the Receive Channel you set for Voice MIDI Mode

Posted : 10/10/2017 2:47 pm

Thanks Bad Mister

Bank Select Sw = On
Pgm Change Sw = On
Global MIDI Channel TX & RX = 1

I am suspecting Mainstage to send MSB, LSB & PC before sending the Mode Change
This will explain why it is not working

I can confirm that it is the sequence used in Mainstage which cause problem
I have set up a Patch with only the Mode Change and some other patches with only the MSB, LSB and PC and it works which means the Midifile (including the sysex for changing mode) is sent after the MSB + LSB + PC thiss is why it never change the multi

The strange thing comes in voice Mode as when I switch from Multi to Voice the MSB + LSB + PC are sent properly

Thanks for your valuable input

Regards
Fred

Posted : 10/10/2017 6:02 pm
Bad Mister

I can confirm that it is the sequence used in Mainstage which cause problem
I have set up a Patch with only the Mode Change and some other patches with only the MSB, LSB and PC and it works which means the Midifile (including the sysex for changing mode) is sent after the MSB + LSB + PC thiss is why it never change the multi

The strange thing comes in voice Mode as when I switch from Multi to Voice the MSB + LSB + PC are sent properly

Thank you for following through and posting back. The MODE change must take place prior to the Bank Select / Prgm Change, and the Rack XS needs to be in MULTI mode for 63/68 To be recognized as an existing Bank.

The "strange thing" is not so strange _here's what's happening:

Say you switch from Multi to Voice modes using the Parameter Change Sysex, if you then send 63/68 + PC... yes, the Voice changes to the corresponding Program Change number, but it is ignoring the Bank Select. It simply changes the Program number and selects whatever is in that position of the current Bank.

Since Voice mode does not see 63/68 at all. It simply ignores that, but the PC is recognized.

Extra Credit: don't know if you are familiar with GM/XG, but it can serve to explain how Banks work.... since there are only 128 Program Change numbers... and the GM sound set is 16 groups of eight instrument... 8 Piano keybds, 8 Chromatic Perc, 8 Organs, 8 Guitars, 8 Basses, etc., etc. when Yamaha looked to expand the GM soundest (XG = xpanded Gm), they did so by using parallel lists... basses are listed from Program numbers 33-40

At Bank Select 000/000 PC 034 is the Fingered EBass (most likely a Fender Pbass), in a parallel Bank (000/112) at PC #034 Yamaha might have an Alembic Bass, and at 034 in a different Bank (000/114) would be a Music Man EBass and so on... this way if your product did not have all of the alternate Banks, it would just do the PC in its current Bank, which would give the standard Fingered EBass.
(Don't hold me to those Bank numbers they are used as an example).

So what you are seeing is just the Program number changing - it is totally ignoring that MSB/LSB because the Bank you are requesting does not exist in VOICE mode.

Hope that makes sense...

Posted : 10/10/2017 9:15 pm

I was a bit quick to explain what I did
After some test I have done the following

I have created a Set in Mainstage labelled Motif-Rack Voice
I have created a blank Patch in Mainstage for Voice Mode (I have left le PC, MSB & LSB blank) and just add the Sysex encrypted midifile and placed this patch on top of the list.
On all the following Patches in this set I have used the following information PC 1-128, MSB = 63 LSB 8 (to select the USER1 bank

I have created a Set in Mainstage labelled Motif-Rack Multi
I have created a blank Patch in Mainstage for Multi Mode (I have left le PC, MSB & LSB blank) and just add the Sysex encrypted midifile and placed this patch on top of the list.
On all the following Patches in this set I have used the following information PC 1-128, MSB = 63 LSB 68 (to select the Multi bank

I just wish I could assign a switch the both Blank Patches in order to send the Voice or Multi mode information prior to select a standard patch
I will investigate further and will revert if I find another way of dealing with this issue

Now What I would like to achieve is the control of the Arpegiators in Mainstage
I think I got the right switch codes related to each of the 4 Arpegiators

F0 43 10 7F 1C 00 38 00 00 01 F7 = Part 1 Arp Switch On
F0 43 10 7F 1C 00 38 00 00 00 F7 = Part 1 Arp Switch Off
F0 43 10 7F 1C 00 38 01 00 01 F7 = Part 2 Arp Switch On
F0 43 10 7F 1C 00 38 01 00 00 F7 = Part 2 Arp Switch Off
F0 43 10 7F 1C 00 38 02 00 01 F7 = Part 3 Arp Switch On
F0 43 10 7F 1C 00 38 02 00 00 F7 = Part 3 Arp Switch Off
F0 43 10 7F 1C 00 38 03 00 01 F7 = Part 4 Arp Switch On
F0 43 10 7F 1C 00 38 03 00 00 F7 = Part 4 Arp Switch Off

I need to find a way to control them in Mainstage !!!!

Thanks for your help and support
Saxfred

Posted : 11/10/2017 2:42 pm
 Gary
Eminent Member

This is related so I'll piggy back on Joe's question...

I need help determining the SysEx commands to change Modes: 1)from Voice to Multi Mode and 2) from Multi Mode to Voice.

Thanks for your time and information in advance,
GRod

Posted : 17/01/2018 3:48 am
Bad Mister

F0 43 10 7F 03 0A 00 01 00 F7 Voice
F0 43 10 7F 03 0A 00 01 05 F7 Multi

Posted : 18/01/2018 10:05 am
Page 3 / 3
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us