4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Rich
 Rich
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hello Phil
I googled this topic and found an article on Yamahasynth, likely written by you. It started with a short statement how the editor could operate as a visti or as a standalone. The article then focused primarily as a plugin vsti for Cubase.

I'm wondering what purposes I purposes/functions the editor could serve as a standalone. I do not use Cubase so I cannot capitalize on the symbiotic relationship this hardware/software has.

However, I plan on keeping my motif and wonder if the standalone editor might offer any benefits?

Thank you

Posted : 27/05/2016 10:41 pm
Bad Mister

The Editor run as a standalone application puts every Motif XF parameter in front of you on your computer screen for Voice mode, for Song mode or for Pattern mode. (Not Master mode, not Performance mode).

Does it make things easier? It does make many folks more relaxed because they can see more options at once. So if that makes editing easier, it's a good thing.

When the Editor is, literally, ONLINE, every parameter, whether changed on the hardware or the software, will adjust and be synchronized. Therefore, when the ONLINE status is indicated the software is a 1:1 relationship with the hardware. Everything up you do to one you are doing to the other including Storing, changing parameters, etc., etc.

It can be used to Store your Voices and your Mixing setups on your computer. If you trust all your music to these thumb drives, I can only warn you... They are not infallible and can easily go south on you for no reason. Backing up additionally to computer is only wise.

In fact, computer as the first choice for backing up data is wise. USB sticks for convenience but computer for security. (Now computers go south too, but not as often, and you can't have enough backups of your work, especially if it represents your valuable time and efforts.

There are some very useful graphical things in the editor than help you visualize and therefore better understand how certain things work. Being able to see the Amplitude EG overtop of the Filter EG makes their relationship so much clearer. An Amp EG is responsible for overall volume of the sound as time advances. The Filter EG does the same for changing the filter's cutoff frequency. When you see them simultaneously color coded what you hear makes more sense (if that makes sense). Filter movement must take place during the time the Amplifier is letting you hear the sound. If you are just setting FILTER EGs by changing numbers, you could be moving the filter during a time the Amplifier is not supporting audio output... in which case the filter movement is not heard. When you can see both EGs on a graph, simultaneously, it's oh, so much clearer.

So things like that, make the standalone editor a great way to start exploring and learning the Motif XF's extensive engine. The velocity sensitivity functions also benefit from being able to 'see' what's going on as well. Velocity Depth and Offset can be better understood when you hear and see the results of settings. If you remember any math in school, it will come back (this can be a positive or negative) but any way it will smell familiar... The graphs that indicate input and output are the old X-Y axis thing. Volume going up is the Y, Time going forward left-to-right is the X. This is the fundamental way they layout the envelopes. It can help, no doubt. You can see how rising faster in volume output per effort input looks and feels different from a curve where in takes a lot more effort in to get the result output.

Organizing
The Editor can help manage your data for you. You can request BULK DUMPs from the hardware making backup OS of certain Banks. Called DATA SYNC this can make life easy.

I find the Editor a big help. Each musician will need to, of course, decide for themselves. If computers are non-intimidating to you, you're gonna just love working with the Editor. It is what it is, of course, it could be better... But it's really is cool to work with. If you hate computers well nothing but time and inevitability will get you to like working with it. Setup is like all things computer based, it can be you actually have to read something the first time, but all subsequent visits are as smooth as silk. So deal with the 'setup', if you learn what a music program needs to work (MIDI ports, audio ports if applicable, etc), it's not so different or difficult. And setup does persist (means nothing to do the next time but get to work)

So some will find it very cool and enlightening, others well, you know. I think it is well worth the effort (certainly as a freebie it is worth the price) but significantly, I feel it is worth your time simply because it helps learn to use the tool you own, better.

Posted : 28/05/2016 10:48 am

I like the Editor Standalone, even though now we don't use it as basic as in the beginning as we now do All File backups that are streamlined, meaning on one piece titled correctly at a time. Where as in the beginning we'd have several and the Editor would open the Usb Drive so we could stroll through seeing what we did.
Of course this was many years ago when all was new for us.

Hey Mr. B, I had bookmarked the original setup article that I believe you wrote and now can't find that.
I also get the Resources and you Blog content confused.... can you locate and post that initial set up between MOTIF XF EDITOR and the MOTIF XF possibly also to include Cubase Pro 8.5 (or any version that works for those beginning too)?
*Here's an idea you can have for the 'powers that be' here on YAMAHA SYNTH.COM; a CONTENTS AREA beginning both RESOURCES and each BLOG.*

Thank you Sir!

Added:
A brief history of our choice leading to Cubase;
When I was first trying out an XF at Sam Ash here in Tampa, I asked the sales dude which DAW? He was a personable and knowledge-fill "people person" with much practical experience from previous customers he had learned. I was amazed to find this quality of opinion from such a younger person.
He said "They're all about the same, get with one and stick with it not confusing yourself with the differences of each".
He when on to say VST Technology was invented by the place that offers Cubase, Steinberg.
So when my brand new baby, I like to call "BRAD" 🙂 arrived from Sweetwater Sound, what was included? CUBASE Ai5 free! ....well with no decision made up 'til then, it was certainly made now.
Below is an interesting history ....a good read for sure.
Steinberg Innovations

Posted : 28/05/2016 11:58 am
Rich
 Rich
Eminent Member
Topic starter

As always, your answer was thorough and worthwhile. Many thanks.

Posted : 28/05/2016 5:39 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us