Notifications
Clear all

The Vocoder Effect

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hello group, can anyone tell me how to use the vocoder, I connected a microphone to my Motif, then went into utility mode to set it up like it discussed on page 68 in the reference manual. I selected USR 1 H 14, the Funky Vocoder voice, however after doing all that nothing happen, I didn't get any sound out of my keyboard. What is that voice for and how do I use it.

Posted : 24/11/2015 7:14 am
Bad Mister

Call up the Voice: Full Concert Grand
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F2] I/O
Set the MIC/LINE = Mic
Plug a dynamic microphone into the LEFT A/D Input jack on the back panel.

Make sure LOCAL CONTROL is ON (meaning you can trigger the XF tone engine directly). You'll need this to trigger the vocoder.

Next to the input jack is a small knob for input Gain. You will need to turn this up for microphone gain. CAREFUL with your overall Volume. Typically, when not getting sound we as humans have a habit of opening the valve full-Open (not sure why we do this but we do)... So that when we finally figure out which setting we forgot to make, and we make it BOOOOOMMMMM!!!! the audio comes BLASTING OUT.

You DO NOT want the Vocoder to come Blasting Out!!! Trust me, you don't!!! Turn your overall volume down a lot, when you setup correctly sound can always be turned up. It beats the alternative of trying to get your hearing back or apologizing to friends and neighbors!!!! I am quite serious here!!!! Very!

Setup the microphone when on the "Full Concert Grand" Voice, this way you get an idea the mic is 1) working normally and 2) you have an idea that you can now turn the overall level down because you are convinced the mic is working. Important. The Vocoder will seem louder than normal speech.

If the mic is not working normally, and you've increased the GAIN knob on the back panel... Then make sure you have a dynamic (permanent magnet) microphone. The XF does not power condenser microphones, sorry. I recommend an XLR-to-TS cable for your typical dynamic mic.

Next select the Funk Vocoder or any of the four Voices preset for Vocoder use. PRESET 8, 125-128(H13-H16)
You cannot just speak into the microphone, remember the mic is the input to be encoded on the synthesizer. So you must additionally touch a key or keys to supply the synth. Play and Sing (talk) simultaneously. Playing alone, no sound; speak alone, no sound; it will always be the combination of both.

Now that you know your mic works, slowly raise your overall volume to a comfortable level. Remember a "live" mic in proximity to speakers is a garden recipe for FEEDBACK - so where you are standing and where you point that mic is critical.

Your signal going into the mic is encoded on the pitches of the keys you are holding. If you wish to use any of Vocoder Voices in a Performance or Mixing, it MUST occupy PART 1 (as this is the Part that has the physical input from the AD Input).

Hope that helps. Did you wind up scaring yourself with the Vocoder volume? 🙂

Posted : 24/11/2015 10:23 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the reply Bad Mister, however it still didn't work for me and I'm pressing the notes down and talking at the same time, I think its the cable to the mic which is a TRS Metal (M) to XLR (F) Balanced Shielded Cable. The mic is a Dynamic Mic.

Posted : 25/11/2015 6:59 am
Bad Mister

So the microphone does not work normally. Therefore it will not work with the Vocoder. I expressly listed the checklist so that you get the mic working normally, first. Once it is not working normally, there is ZERO chance it will work with the Vocoder! You can stop attempting to get it working.

The input jack is unbalanced!

XLR(F)-to-TS(M)

That'll do it!

Posted : 25/11/2015 11:42 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hello Bad Mister, so over the Thanksgiving holiday, I was able to get the Vocoder to work. I went to Guitar Center and purchased a XLR to TS microphone cable and went through the whole process again and it worked that time. I don't know if it was the settings or the cable.

Posted : 30/11/2015 3:56 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Happy Holidays, and Thank you again for all your help.

Posted : 30/11/2015 3:57 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us